Player
    Character
    Rowyne Olde
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowen View Post
    The main guitar riff (up and down on a tritone) is exactly the same. Literally the same key, even. They clearly took inspiration from WWC.

Is it "plagiarism" though? The two songs have plenty of differences, but that repeating riff is the most defining thing about the original. They probably should've been more careful and come up with something different to use.
    ^Exactly this.

I was 25 in 1999 when "When Worlds Collide" came out, and I used to rock out to it back in the day. And Sephirot Phase 2 is so strikingly similar, with these identical elements, that if I heard this in a club I would immediately think it was a new Powerman5000 mix.

Player
    Character
    Yo Yo
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Fortunately, copyrights eventually expire and the owner no longer has no exclusive rights. All compositions not protected under copyright law are said to be in the public domain. A work is in the public domain when no one on this entire planet can find any law which gives them legal claim to that property. Public domain is the complete absence of any law allowing ownership of a property. If you can prove that a composition is in the public domain, you can use the work any way you can imagine. You can arrange, reproduce, perform, record, publish it, and use or sell it commercially any way you like.
    Now if they have a copyright SE is in trouble.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Yuka Nisah
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    I just laugh at the fact that people hate on this. I love these references to other songs/celebs/whatever in games. The 2nd boss in anti tower has a reference to one of David Bowie's albums, for example. Or the Moogle Primal theme, which is inspired by the movie Nightmare before Christmas. It's called an Easter Egg and they're quite popular in many games. WoW does the same thing. For example, the dance moves of the playable races, are a reference to dance moves that singers perform during particular songs.

If they had literally taken the tony hawk music and placed it under Sephiroths fight, then I'd have a problem with this, but this isn't a direct rip off. It's just inspired by something alot of people are familiar with. Which is meant to be fun, not something to moan about. There is nothing wrong with it imo. Besides, chances are they asked for permission to do this otherwise I don't think they'd be that stupid to put this online.
    (5)
    Last edited by xLucia; 02-25-2016 at 07:05 PM.

Player
    Character
    Choco Feru
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Not even close. It doesn't even sound similar at any point.

It sounds more like a Devil May Cry song.

They just wanted some free publicity and some websites are falling to it, sadly.
    (5)

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/chocoferu/
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/ChocoFeru

Regarding the Music for the 2nd Phase of Containment Bay S1T7

I have read through your comments concerning the BGM for the 2nd phase of the Containment Bay S1T7 battle with Sephirot, and I would like to personally explain how the track was conceived.

As most FINAL FANTASY fans already know, Sephirot (the Fiend) is a legacy boss character who originally appeared in FINAL FANTASY VI. When considering how to portray Sephirot's return in FINAL FANTASY XIV, we decided to pay tribute to FFVI by working VI's "Battle to the Death" track into the Containment Bay S1T7's first phase, while opting to create an FFXIV original for the second.

Building upon the motif of Sephirot as a representation of the World Tree, to create this FINAL FANTASY XIV original track, we further incorporated story-driven themes of death and a warped obsession with life, all while utilizing a musical genre─industrial rock─which we believed would provide substantial emphasis to the message.

Industrial rock is a popular genre that can be further divided into numerous sub-genres. Countless songs from these genres have been released worldwide, and I have been made aware of an allegation regarding similarities between an existing track and the track created for the 2nd phase of Containment Bay S1T7. However, track composer Masayoshi Soken, has also stated to me that he was unaware of the track in question while working on this FINAL FANTASY track.

We hope that you continue to enjoy FINAL FANTASY XIV battle content.

FINAL FANTASY XIV Producer and Director, Naoki Yoshida

============================================================
    ■FFXIVセフィロト討滅戦 バトル後半の楽曲について■

皆さんこんにちは、FFXIVプロデューサー兼ディレクターの吉田です。

昨日リリースされたパッチ3.2に実装されている「セフィロト討滅戦」後半のBGMについて、
    皆さんのコメントを拝見しました。

ここで吉田から、改めてこのBGMの制作意図についてご説明させていただきます。

魔人セフィロトはFFファンの皆さんは良くご存じの通り、FFVIに登場した強力なボスモンスターです。
    この魔人セフィロトをFFXIVの世界によみがえらせる際に、FFVIオリジナルの曲である”死闘”を
    しっかりと踏襲した上で、魔人セフィロト討滅戦の後半では、FFXIVオリジナル楽曲で盛り上げる、
    という意図の元にコンテンツが実装されています。

この魔人セフィロト討滅戦後半のBGMでは、”セフィロト”本来の意味である”生命の樹”をモチーフに、
    魔人の力によって、邪な生への執着と死を力強く表現することをテーマに、インダストリアル・ロックという
    楽曲ジャンルを選択し、ファイナルファンタジーXIVオリジナル楽曲として作曲されました。

インダストリアル・ロックは派生ジャンルも多い人気の楽曲ジャンルです。
    世界中で多数の同一ジャンルの曲が発表されおり、幾つか類似点のご指摘も拝見いたしました。
    しかしながら、魔人セフィロト討滅戦後半BGMの作曲者である祖堅は、
    ご指摘いただいている楽曲の存在を知らず、本BGMを作曲したことを、念のために申し添えておきます。

引き続き、ファイナルファンタジーXIV最新のバトルコンテンツを心置きなくお楽しみください!
    (130)

Player
    Character
    Quin Decim
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    thankyou for taking the time to comment and help clear this up yoshida ^^
    (9)

Player
    Character
    Ellram Valouren
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 60
    Actually yeah. A lot of industrial rock songs are introduced in similar manners with sound effects, have similar beats almost down to being identical and then of course there's usually a set, limited range of notes to pick between for riffs and melodies before you deviate from the genre, as with the monotonous singing style. Having an artist then follow these rules, creating something new in a stagnant genre might very well be the result you see in this situation...

The only thing bothering me about the whole situation is that both singers start out with the exact same word, singing the exact same first notes. That's about it, the rest just sounds like any other industrial song. *shrugs*
    (7)

Player
    Character
    Raifu Kurogaea
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Decoy_Wolff View Post
    This is pretty much free advertising for them :P
    Not really if there's no mention of that band. -_-
    (7)

Player
    Character
    Lindis Hrafnvandrar
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 80
    The man himself has spoken! Thanks Yoshida ^^/
    (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iagainsti View Post
    Where's my daily baked deliciousness, Toruyna?

Player
    Character
    Your Character
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Blue Mage Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Kukajoo View Post
    thankyou for taking the time to comment and help clear this up yoshida ^^
    I don't think in the history of accusations like this the line "we weren't aware of your song" has ever changed someone's mind from the course of action they want to take against it.

I don't even think being able to prove that (not that you could) would change how a lawsuit would turn out.
    (5)
    Last edited by Alistaire; 02-25-2016 at 07:58 PM.

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast