Player

Crash in Brack Shroud, Unable to detect DirectX device

I get an error that closes my game and gives me a box that says "Unable to detect DirectX device. The program has shut down. PLease restart FFXIV" This only happens on my desktop and only in Black Shroud. My laptop on the same comcast connection and has far less graphical ability can run with no problems just slow to load areas. I also used to get a nvlddmkm error on the desktop after the directx error box. I've tried just about everything at www.nvlddmkm.com but no luck. Anyways thanks in advance if anyone can help because otherwise I can't play in Black Shroud on my desktop since it happens all the time....

Platform: Windows Vista
    ISP: Comcast
    Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 240
    3gb Ram
    New upgraded power supply
    PC: Dell Inspiron 531
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x 2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ (2 cpus) ~2.0GHz
    Date & Time: last crash was 11:40 MST
    Frequency: Happens all the time after 5-40 minutes of moving in Black Shroud
    Character Name: Ace Darklight
    Race: ELezen
    World: Bodhum
    Class/Skill Rank: Has happened since I started... class makes no difference
    Physical Level: at alot of them
    Area and Coordinates: All over Black Shroud
    Party or Solo: Both

I will note I have my graphics up pretty high in all other zones with no problems what so ever and I play for very long times. Also this is only game with this problem. My other MMO's, Starcraft 2, and everything else plays without problems.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Namari Rysu
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    I posted this in this thread as well http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...d-and-Gridania

I also run a gt240 that had the same issue. Same thing can run other games full blast no problems. First go to the game config and set everything to standard with shadow detail set on lowest. Next turn multisampling to 2x MSAA. This has at least stopped the crashing in Black Shroud areas for a few of us that have the gt240. You may see a slight visual glitching but its easier to live with then constant crashing.

While the ultimate answer is S.E. optimizing there game I hope this band aid solution helps until then. If it does not work for you please be kind enough to post back.
    (0)

Player

Wow, ran around for about a hour and a half with no problems, so far so good. Thank you! If anything comes up I'll let you know, but looks good =) Wish I would have known this months ago lol
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ashely Riot
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    It doesn't matter how many times I adjust settings this directX error happens all time no matter what. I wish they would fix this issue because like many others have said all other games run fine and on full blast
    (0)