Player
    Character
    Eyriwaen Zirhmusyn
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90

Alchemy and the economy

I was wondering, what items does alchemy make that are commonly used by people? Looking at the new recipes, it doesn't look like they play as much of a role as they used to in producing armor and weapons. Do people commonly use potions, ethers, and medicines often? Or is alchemy in the same boat as culinarian as a craft without much of a market at the moment?

The reason I ask is I have some thoughts on creating a larger market for alchemical items (I actually posted it up on the general discussion, but it got buried under the 2.0 discussions), and wanted to get some insight on how the market is. Culinarian's issue is simply a lack of information, and I'm sure once people start realizing en masse that X food boosts Y desired stat by Z large amount, they'll flock to the market... or at least to the best items for various builds. However, in alchemy's case, all the answers for what an item does are in its description, but I never really see people popping potions, ethers, ironskin tonics, or other such alchemical creations.
    (0)

Player

I have alchemy at 29 and I honestly only ever make shards. I don't really know how other stuff sells or gets used too much because shards sell SO well. Now that fine sand isn't sold by NPC's it has become slightly more difficult to turn a quick profit but that's still my main market.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Eyriwaen Zirhmusyn
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Mkay. Do you think that the following changes would make for a viable market?

1: Change the currently unused status potions into poisons (with varying degrees of potency, so weaker ones are made at lower levels and stronger ones made later on) that Disciples of War can use to poison their weapons. This would give the player a "poisoned weapon" status that gives a chance to inflict the status ailment with each strike.

2: Change potions/ethers (or add new types that do the following) to be regen/refresh effects, rather than instant cures. As it is, both are things people would only use in emergencies. Changing them to regen/refresh would mean the items have to be used BEFORE an emergency crops up, which means people would be encouraged to use them if there MIGHT be an emergency. This also makes it so that potions do not invalidate mages by allowing someone to heal themselves purely through medicines. In addition, these regen and refresh effects should stack with mage versions.

3: In case they don't stack already, allow any potions that give a buff to stack with mage spells.

In all of the above cases (And with status removal medicine) the medicines should be CHEAP to create. I know it sounds counter-intuitive to making alchemy a money maker to have stuff sell cheap, but if a medicine costs 3k gil to use, nobody is going to use those unless it's absolutely required (Well, maybe the folks who are totally loaded will). If it only costs 50-100 gil to put up a regen or damage reduction or what have you, people are probably going to have no problem using them full time, spending a lot more gil than they would if they never bought them at all.

So, thoughts?
    (0)

Player

1. Sounds like an okay idea.

2. As it is right now I think potions are seen as something of an emergency use item anyways since there are countless other ways of restoring health, etc. Changing it to having to use it regardless would mean that NO ONE would buy them because you would end up blowing through way more than you would need.

3. making them dirt cheap AND widely available would probably add more usability to them. I don't make them either so I'm not sure about the recipe but last time I looked I think it was too costly for me to use even just for myself.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ramiel Zeruel
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 52
    Fishing + alchemy is where the gil is at

Start with a few nethernewts and crimson crayfish and before you know it youll be up to your eyeballs in wind crystals

Even buying fish in the market huge profits are still made
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Eyriwaen Zirhmusyn
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    My point is that I think actual alchemical items, things solely made with alchemy, should have a use. Much like every other craft can make unique things people need.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Jho Stumps
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    Alchemists are still the only ones that can manufacture crystals and shards
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Eyriwaen Zirhmusyn
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Technically this is true, but people can also get crystals and shards from monster drops or from DoL. Also, I dunno, call me silly but I think putting all your eggs in one basket (having shards/crystals be the ONLY useful thing you can create) isn't exactly viable.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tymora Estrellauta
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 90
    Shards, glue.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ver Her
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Weaver Lv 80
    Devs announced that Alchemist will be making enhancing medicines with short term, high potency effects, with higher reuse times, as well as antidotes and such. Culinary will be making long lasting, less potent foods, with low reuse times. Exp boosts have been confirmed on foods, and I believe alchemic items will follow suit. As for potions I'm guessing their gonna play some role sooner or later as they did in FFXI for CoP Airship battle. There will be situations in which there will be too much people getting hit by something for one or two healers to handle, and that is where potions will come into the picture.

Also on a side note, devs also discussed Alchemists playing a role in enhancing, combining, creating and altering materia. Details are unconfirmed, but I thought I would mention it.

Sources: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...475#post553475
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/31779
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast