Character
    Taisai Jin
    World
    Twintania
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 64

Gerun Oracles

It's that time of year again;

I'm guessing "the sea" would either by Hydaelyn (the planet) or the universe/aether/Lifestream/etc., since "the Star" also shows up... Not much to really work with in the first half, the second half though;

"the sea sundered in fourteen", now that is interesting... We have the Twelve, who are actually thirteen (Nald'Thal), but fourteen? Well, I'd take that as confirmation for Zodiark being the "fourteenth"... Alternatively we keep the Twelve as twelve, and Hydaelyn and Zodiark make up the remaining two.

"To the seas She cast Her children", "She" would be Hydaelyn, and "Her children" us. OK, I'm stupid, this is all "before man", so scrap that... You know, I suspect "Her children" might be the Primals... I've long suspected they're not actually bad, just the Ascians have set the board such that we're at odds with them... As Tiamat says, they exist at great cost to Hydaelyn, but to me that kind of drives home the idea that they're Her children... They're literally made of Her aether...

"for fear of the Moon"? *ahem*

"For hate of the Star, to the seas He casts His doom.", I'd guess "the Star" would be Hydaelyn (the planet), "He" would be Zodiark, "His doom"? This is where "seas" and "Star" cause a bit of confusion... Could refer to the Ascians, could be something grander, like the Void itself (seriously, we have nothing on this yet...), given the Ascians strong connection to it...

Thoughts?
    (6)
    Last edited by Nalien; 01-01-2016 at 09:53 AM.

Player
    Character
    J'talhdi Belhi
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 90
    Damn beaten too it!

Ill go delete my thread

<stomps off sulkly>

Edit: or I would if I could figure out how.

Edit2:

Ok what I posted in my thread.

Speculation and interpretation time!

Im guessing few things. By sea I think its refering to Aether. sundered in fourteen I think is referencing the umbral and astral aspects of the elements and unaspected umbral and astral. I've suspected for quite a while that the Twelve are avatars for these forms of aspected aether, wether real sentient things or simply idols created by man to give face to the force.

The Star I feel pretty sure is our favorate glowy crystal benefactor. Also unaspected Astral.

The Moon is probably Zodiak. Probably also Unaspected Umbral.

On a side note, if its right then Ramuh's kryptic comments way back in 2.3 are probably accurate. I wonder if this means Ramuh's nature as a primal makes this known to him or if he is infact a very ancient primal or something ancient that became a primal.
    (1)
    Last edited by Belhi; 01-01-2016 at 09:49 AM.

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    First things first, I like how it even says hist'ry. Nice touch. (Gerun talked like that.)

I'm going to dig into the other languages (as I do every year), but some interesting first impressions:
    • There's a lot of Zodiark stuff up with the moon. Not only was Elidibus standing there, not only can you just barely see what looks to be a broken Zodiark statue, but as the camera zooms out in the final scene you can see what looks to be purposeful depressions in the lunar surface. Call me crazy, but that looks like the edge of the FFXII sigil of Zodiark. (Was he banished there?)
    • "The Star" has been used as a fancy way to talk about the planet. So Hydaelyn's children inheret the planet, and Zodiark sends "His Doom" to the star...
    • "The Sea" could be the primordial sea of chaos, the sea of time (Zodiark is often mentioned alongside time and splitting it 14 times could mean 14 eras), a metaphor for space... or the aetherial sea - if you go by ((6+1)+6+1)) model of the elements and polarities, though, it's pretty easy to see how the aetherial sea could be shattered info 14 identities - astral polarity and six elements, umbral polarity and six elements.
    • Then again, there are fourteen Ascian overlords in the last cutscene of 2.00. It's hard to tell what's related to the mythology and what's just because FFXIV.
    Anybody able to get a text version of the JP one while I translate the DE and FR?

Also, my translations are rushed and amateur, so please correct me if you can do better.

FRENCH
    • Lumière et Ténèbres, dans la mer des étoiles enlacées
      • Light and Darkness, in the sea of stars entwined
    • Formèrent quatorze reflets de leur être décompose
      • Formed fourteen reflections when they were undone (decomposed / broken)
    • La Lumière craintive fit germer la vie en tous lieux
      • The Light, fearful, seeded life in all places
    • Que les Ténèbres vindicatives voulurent sacrifier aux Dieux
      • That the Darkness, vindictive, desired sacrificed to the Gods

GERMAN

• Vor allen Mythen war Licht und Dunkel ungeschieden
      • Before all myth were Light and Darkness undivided
    • Vor allen Aren war eins, was vierzehnfach zersprengt
      • Before all Eras(?) were one, shattered fourteen times
    • In Furcht vor seinem Widerpart hat das Gestirn geschaffen
      • In fear of the adversary was the star created
    • Was dieser Mond im Zorne sucht, wieder zunicht' zu machen
      • What this moon in anger sought to see again undone

JAPANESE

• 神話 始まるより昔 光も闇もなく ただひとつの海あり
      • Myth / long before it began / without Light or Darkness / there was just one sea
    • 歴史 始まるより昔 光と闇分かたれ 十四の海とならん
      • History / long before it began / Light and Darkness separated / the sea becomes fourteen
    • 星は月を恐れ 数多の子らを海に放ち
      • The Star fears the Moon / To the sea, Her many children are sent
    • 月は星を憎み 数多の子らを海に還す
      • The Moon hates the Star / To the sea, His many children are returned
    (9)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 01-06-2016 at 09:30 PM.

Player
    Character
    Tonrak Totorak
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    It seems as though the Star is (in) Hydaelyn, while the Moon is (in) Zodiark? Someone mentioned seeing a statue of Zodiark in the Moon during the WoD intro.

As for the Sea ... who knows? A metaphor for Aether stream, perhaps?

"For hate of the Star, to the seas He casts His doom." reminds me of FF12 Zodiark's Final Eclipse. In it we see Zodiark emerging/falling from the moon into the Sea where he hatches into his adult form and destroy that world ...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaZzaxfud1c

Of course, I am not sure just how much they wanna borrow from a previous game.

Although "the Star" can refer to the world that everyone is living in (then again it's called Hydaelyn) Star and planet are more or less synonymous
    (0)
    Last edited by myahele; 01-01-2016 at 10:01 AM.

Player
    Character
    Trpimir Ratyasch
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    This sounds like it's almost confirming one of my hypotheses: that Zodiark IS THE MOON.

Yes, you heard me. And I guessed this even before it was pointed out there's what's likely a ruined version of the Zodiark statue up there.

"There was but the sea."
    Long long ago, in a galaxy far far away... just kidding. The Aetherial Sea, most likely.

"Light and Dark were divided, the sea sundered in fourteen."
    This lends credence to the popular hypothesis that the Ascians may be the "original" gods the Twelve are based on. Either way, it's likely the origin of the Ascians in some way or another.

"To the seas She cast Her children, for fear of the Moon.
    "For hate of the Star, to the seas He cast His doom."
    Hydaelyn created the planet we live on as a shelter from Zodiark's ire, while his hatred towards Hydaelyn leads him to continually try to destroy the planet (or he already has, it's just a matter of time).

Those are my thoughts and best guesses on this one...
    (1)
    Last edited by Cilia; 01-01-2016 at 05:35 PM.
    Trpimir Ratyasch's Way Status (6.55 - End)
    [ ]LOST [ ]NOT LOST [X] PvPING FOR SWAG
    "There is no hope in stubbornly clinging to the past. It is our duty to face the future and march onward, not retreat inward." -Sovetsky Soyuz, Azur Lane: Snowrealm Peregrination

Player
    Character
    Robas Kebas
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 80
    I didn't see that coming and i think you should put this image here but say you found it. This image is a lot more clear to see compared to the one you did xD Also it says from the final page of the journal does this mean no more of these D:

All credit to Nalien of course

Edit: Changed link to a more brighter one

Edit 2: Editied the image a bit to make the statue stand out.
    (3)
    Last edited by Remus; 01-01-2016 at 10:21 AM.

Player
    Character
    Taisai Jin
    World
    Twintania
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 64
    Quote Originally Posted by Belhi View Post
    On a side note, if its right then Ramuh's kryptic comments way back in 2.3 are probably accurate. I wonder if this means Ramuh's nature as a primal makes this known to him or if he is infact a very ancient primal or something ancient that became a primal.
    I wonder about Ramuh... He pondered;

"Were light and dark given form when man was born?"

But here we have;

"In the beginning, before man and hist'ry,
    Light and Darkness were divided, the seas sundered in fourteen"

Implying that this duality existed before man.

Wonder how that fits in with the Astrologian lore too... Light and Darkness were divided? Astrologian is seemingly drawing upon celestial power of Light and Darkness very much allied... Nald'Thal and Azeyma making up the Balance, for example (granted, the Spire specifically makes mention of its two deities being in conflict). I may need to go read back up on Astrologian given the potential relevance...
    (0)
    Last edited by Nalien; 01-01-2016 at 10:13 AM.

Player
    Character
    Tonrak Totorak
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Remus View Post
    I didn't see that coming and i think you should put this image here but say you found it. This image is a lot more clear to see compared to the one you did xD

http://i.imgur.com/dwIXz1J.png?1

Edit: Changed link to a more brighter one
    Wow that statue reminds me of FF9 Necron:
    (3)

Player
    Character
    J'talhdi Belhi
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 90
    You just cant trust moons these days. Damn dodgy celestial bodies the lot of them!

Interesting that MNKs have 14 chakra too. 7 light and 7 shadow.
    (1)
    Last edited by Belhi; 01-01-2016 at 10:30 AM.

Player
    Character
    Enkidoh Roux
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Remus View Post
    I didn't see that coming and i think you should put this image here but say you found it. This image is a lot more clear to see compared to the one you did xD Also it says from the final page of the journal does this mean no more of these D:

To be really honest, I wouldn't be so quick to take that as anything other than a rock under a significant case of pareidolia - after all, it's a lot like the famous 'face on Mars' which is probably the most notorious example of this phenomenon, so I wouldn't read into that too much. It's far too dark and obscured to be anything other than just a background rock.

As for the latest 'New Year's Prophecy from Louisoix's Journal', again I'm going to play devil's advocate here, put on my 'Scully' hat and be the skeptic - and it all comes down to the Gerun Oracles. Remember in the final scene of 3.1 where
    Urianger was with Elidibus and Evil!Derplander apparently somewhere in the Great Gubal Library, and he is handed a book from the Gerun Oracles from Elidibus which Urianger immediately scoffs at and dismisses it as 'apocrypha' (meaning it's accuracy or canon has long since been debunked and abandoned):

Quote Originally Posted by Heavensward 3.1 main scenario quest 'As Goes Light, As Goes Darkness'
    Urianger: "This is thy proof? The Gerun Oracles? Apocrypha."

Hence, although there are some interesting aspects of this latest (and perhaps last?) prophecy from Louisoix, when viewed with information already shown and hinted at - it's accuracy does raise more questions than answers. But hey, I'm often wrong so take my ramblings with a grain of salt.
    (1)
    Last edited by Enkidoh; 01-01-2016 at 12:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rannie View Post
    Aaaaannnd now I just had a mental image of Lahabrea walking into a store called Bodies R Us and trying on different humans.... >.<

Lahabrea: hn too tall... tooo short.... Juuuuuust right.
    Venat was right.

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast