Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Regarding the Localization of Haurchefant in the EN/FR/DE Versions of FFXIV

Hey guys,

Recently, in a Letter from the Producer LIVE held in Korea and in a Famitsu interview, Yoshi-P discussed changes made to the characterization of Haurchefant, an NPC who first appeared in 2.0 and rose to a prominent role in the main scenario.

The reason this topic came up is because, in the Korean version of FFXIV, the two voiced cutscenes in patch 2.3's main scenario which feature Haurchefant were based on the EN/FR/DE versions of these cutscenes. Yoshi-P goes on to explain that these cutscenes were altered to account for changes made to Haurchefant's characterization by the LOC team in 2.0. In the Famitsu interview, he further clarifies that these changes were made due to LOC team concerns that Haurchefant's behavior might be interpreted as problematic.

However, these changes to Haurchefant's characterization were made without consulting the relevant parties, and as a result, the JP and EN/FR/DE player bases came to perceive Haurchefant differently, culminating with these significantly different cutscenes in patch 2.3.

When videos illustrating the differences between the JP and the EN/FR/DE cutscenes were posted online, some fans spoke out in protest. After internal discussion, it was decided that efforts would be made by the EN, FR, and DE LOC teams to bring Haurchefant's characterization gradually closer to that of the JP Haurchefant over the course of future updates. Moreover, the development team enacted a new policy that all cutscenes would be fundamentally the same, so that users across all regions would have more similar experiences.

---

How did this all happen, you ask? Well, it all goes back to one of those 300 hour months in the summer of 2013, when the FFXIV LOC team was hard at work in the Tokyo office with the rest of the devs, working late nights and weekends to make A Realm Reborn a title worthy of the FINAL FANTASY legacy. These long hours were necessary not only because of the massive amount of content we were pushed live with 2.0, but because each language team is passionate about producing a high-quality localization that immerses the player in the world of Eorzea.

To achieve this goal, we decided years ago, during the development of 1.0 (with the blessing of the director), that simple, literal translations would not be sufficient. We would have to look beyond the words and carefully consider the intentions of the JP writers, as well as give thought to how the experience would be received by people with different cultural backgrounds. While this can be an extraordinarily difficult process, it is one which is possible because the Square Enix Localization Department seeks out translators who demonstrate not only a strong grasp of the Japanese language, but sufficient creative writing ability in the target language as well. These individuals are expected to work side by side with the development teams here in Tokyo as they transform the JP source into flowing, natural text in the target language, while taking care to ensure that players in all regions will have comparable emotional experiences.

For that reason, when I was working on the Coerthas questline for 2.0, I had a dilemma. Haurchefant is intended to be received as a good and true ally, but some of his comments directed at the player could, if rendered in EN as it was written in JP, provoke a strong negative reaction for some players (this wasn't so much of a concern for the JP, as his characterization played to a certain arch type which exists in Japanese media of a loveable debauchee). I discussed this concern with the FR and DE translators in charge of the same quest line, and we all concluded that, to ensure that our players regarded Haurchefant as positively as the JP player base was intended to, we should tone down these potentially problematic statements.

However, as Yoshi-P stated, these decisions were made without consulting with the relevant parties, which resulted in a growing discrepancy that would culminate with patch 2.3's cutscenes.

As the individual who pushed for these changes, I would like to sincerely apologize to our fans, as well as Yoshi-P and our scenario team. It was never my intention to deprive our players of a memorable character or elaborate cutscenes, and to this day I deeply regret how I handled this situation.

---

Over the months since, we have taken many measures to ensure that similar problems do not arise in the future, and I am proud to say that the LOC team works more closely with the scenario and cutscene teams than ever before.

For our quests, we pore over plot outlines and character profiles as they become available, even if the quest text itself is not to be written for months or more (oh, the things I could tell you about 3.2 and 3.3...). We share our thoughts with our scenario team counterparts, raising concerns and working through problematic issues together. If we strongly believe that a significant deviation is warranted, we consult with the team leads beforehand, and then we do our utmost to minimize the complications.

For our cutscenes, we consult with the cutscene team in the early stages, when the blocking and animations for key scenes are still being worked out. This is especially important for voiced content, since we usually record lines well in advance with only stage directions and story boards (just the other day I was sitting with the cutscene team for several hours as they discussed the elaborate custom animations that would be required for 3.2 main scenario and a certain...well, you'll just have to look forward to it!). We check the cutscenes at various stages of their development to ensure that there are no problematic animations or contradictions with our voice files, and should we discover any, we negotiate with the cutscene and scenario teams to find a solution that satisfies everyone.

Can we do more? Absolutely. FFXIV wouldn't be the game it is today if we were the type to settle for "good enough." Everyone who works on this project knows full well that we must always strive to be better than we were. And so we do, each and every day.

I don't expect everyone to agree with our decisions. Quite frankly, I am glad to see so many fans willing to voice their opinions, because it shows how invested you are in our story─that you care as much as we do. However, I do hope that everyone understands that these decisions are not made lightly─that we carefully consider the consequences of our actions. And when we do make controversial choices─for FFXIV, FFXV, or any of our other games─I hope you will all bear in mind that we do so in service to the Square Enix philosophy: to create incredible, moving, unforgettable stories that can be shared with our fans throughout the world.

Finally, I'd just like to say that, as someone who has had the honor and the privilege to write Haurchefant for the past several years, from his first to his final lines, it has been touching to see how so many fans have grown to love him. And though I know he will always hold a special place in many of your hearts, I hope that you all will grow to love our other characters just as much in the years ahead.

John Crow
    FFXIV EN Lead
    (91)

Player
    Character
    Colette Pascal
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 70
    For what it's worth, everyone I know loved the English Haurchefant.
    (59)

Player
    Character
    Lynne Asteria
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by giantslayer View Post
    This.

I thought he was a great character. I was sad to see him go. He was one of our characters most staunch supporters and really the best of friends. I can't see the story existing without him.
    (25)

Player
    Character
    W'fharl Tia
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 90
    As one of the more outspoken critics I know of here, I, um, am glad you realize we care.

Thanks for all the hard work!
    (5)
    あっきれた。

Player
    Character
    Cirra Maru
    World
    Famfrit
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 70
    I love the English localisation, you guys are extremely creative with the English translation.

I never watched any cutscenes of Haurchefant in Japanese because I was happy with his portrayal in the English client. At first he was wary of us because we are the outsiders and it took time for him to trust us, it was so long ago that I watched the original meeting with him XD. I just remember exposing the heretic in his ranks!
    (11)

Player
    Character
    Rannie Lfey
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    i'm now more confused by this what are the discrepancies between the en/fr/de and such from 2.3 to jp

Edit: nm I found a post explaining the differences
    (0)
    Last edited by Rannie; 11-26-2015 at 04:13 PM. Reason: confusion makes me forget to type in words for things and things

Player
    Character
    Holy Emmerololth
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by giantslayer View Post
    Agreeing with this, I enjoyed him a lot more than the Japanese version.
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Edhe'li Merwyn
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Weaver Lv 90
    Haurchefant is intended to be received as a good and true ally, but some of his comments directed at the player could, if rendered in EN as it was written in JP, provoke a strong negative reaction for some players (this wasn't so much of a concern for the JP, as his characterization played to a certain arch type which exists in Japanese media of a loveable debauchee).
    For what it's worth I have seen his JP cutscenes and I think you guys made the right call? If you had done a straight translation JP Haurchefant would have just come across as Mister Badtouch McOffensive-Stereotype.
    (9)

Player
    Character
    Inzoum Zimia
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 80
    I wasn't aware of such a discrepancy, but I'm happy with how Haurchefant was made to be in English. However, there are many instances where I feel the different localization teams should try harder to sing the same tune. My wife plays in French and I play in English, and sometimes the quest dialogues can sometimes be COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. I would laugh about some humorous situation and my wife would be "what are you talking about, there is no joke here".

One major example of this is the Delivery Moogle quest with Humberct Longhaft, which is filled to the brim with innuendos. She could not remember anything of the sort because there WAS nothing of the sort in the French version. I looked up the quest dialogues online they are ENTIRELY different (and honestly terribly tame and stale like most of the French loc.).

These localization differences are causing us to miss some enjoyable interactions because at times, we truly are playing a different game together, however that works.
    (7)
    Do you enjoy a global playerbase? GONDWANA is a fun and friendly Free Company family on Masamune. Our name reflects our diversity of culture and playstyle.
    We are proud to offer many services to our members, including a large company estate with plenty of facilities, discounted goods and company buffs every day of the week. We regularly organize large scale social events with fun games and prizes to win!
    Become one of the «GFolk» today! | http://gondwana.ovh

Player
    Character
    Will Brannigan
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 80
    "Problematic"

Game is rated T for Teen. If the people playing this game can handle executing the insane (early Ifrit-related scenario quests), pirate sex slaves (Sastasha), and child abuse (Dark Knight quest line), then they can handle a guy who loves muscles and adventurers' bodies. Please remember that FF doesn't need the Nintendo seal of approval anymore. You don't have to change pubs to cafes or prayers to wishes for fear of offending parents or the religious. Likewise, you don't need to change characters like Haurchefant because you're afraid of offending the easily offended. They're going to find something to be offended about anyway. It might even do them some good to have the "Whoa this guy is weird" reaction before realizing that he's one of your staunchest allies.
    (62)
    Last edited by Brannigan; 11-26-2015 at 06:19 PM.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast