Thread: Stats And You!

Player
    Character
    Velhart Aurion
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 80
    Just to throw something in the pot. Help or not help.

Can anyone explain why people hit crap for damage on basic attacks on Ifrit, but Doomspike II or other powerful WS's can hit 300-400 at base, and about 600-700 with buffs?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Deus Luminis
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Carpenter Lv 50
    I've submitted my thread below regarding the exposition of parameters to the Live Broadcast Nov 3 Questions Thread. I'm hoping Yoshi will address this problem and let us know his policy and what we can expect. This issue is core to a majority of what changed in 1.19 and will affect all content yet to come.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...317#post415317
    (0)
    Deus Noctis / Deus Luminis / Gstar Raw -- Balmung

Player
    Character
    Hiraeth Petrichor
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    I posted this in a cure thread but I want to put it here as well for a wider audience/potential tinkerers:

Well I've been working with the numbers and have the following two equations worked out:

(3*MND+VIT+(3(Healing/2.75))/2) + ((MND/2)+(Healing/3)/2) = Cure Average

if Healing magic is 413, MND is 289 and VIT is 181.

(3*MND+VIT+(3(Healing/2.75))/2) + ((MND/2)+(Healing/2)/2) = Cure Average

if Healing magic is 420, MND is 271 and VIT is 181.

If Healing magic is 403, MND is 251 and VIT is 174 however, the first equation comes extremely close but is a smaller number than the average by 40. However this test was done with the PGL ability that gives 10% bonus, I had to manually take off 10% from the cure (friend self cast on himself, didn't want to ask him to redo it). By description of the ability its 10% received but by practice I'm reading it's 10% given, perhaps that could be clashing with results as well.

However when I did a naked cast with healing 398, MND 231 and VIT 181 my average was off by 130ish, lower than my observed average. This leads me to believe that either I'm missing something in either/both equation, have them entirely wrong or have them correct but that there are multiple equations, one for each tier of 10 healing magic. If someone wants to use these equations I've worked out and tinker with them by all means do so, I'm no mathematician but if I can help one out I'm happy to do so!
    (0)

Player

I seriously doubt there would be a different equation for each tier of 10 healing magic...

Also, you don't seem to be controlling your variables you should really only work with one variable changing at a time so that you can study it's behavior more appropriately.

Another thing is that your equations call a variable of the same degree multiple times. This is basically over complicating your equation making it more cumbersome to work with.
    (0)
    Last edited by Carpe; 11-01-2011 at 12:22 PM.

Player
    Character
    Hiraeth Petrichor
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpe View Post
    I seriously doubt there would be a different equation for each tier of 10 healing magic...

Also, you don't seem to be controlling your variables you should really only work with one variable changing at a time so that you can study it's behavior more appropriately.

Another thing is that your equations call a variable of the same degree multiple times. This is basically over complicating your equation making it more cumbersome to work with.
    I doubt it too but they've done similar things in the past with multiple equations based on the amount of skill you were at. They've already stated that the current coding is far too complex than it needs to be so I wouldn't rule ANY possibility out, no matter the nightmare working with the equation would be.

For controlling variables, it's extremely hard to do as MND is a direct influence on Healing Magic. I personally don't have the kind of gil to invest in making an ideal test build (would cost several million at current materia prices on my server). Like I said, I'm no mathematician but just wanted to have at least something for someone more qualified to see and go from there. Maybe they hadn't thought about taking half of the sum of both MND and Healing Magic and seeing that could spur a different idea altogether.

All I did was find an equation that worked for one, saw it worked very closely for another and realized that there is either a rate of growth involved, a constant and/or a different number used against Healing Magic (was the only thing that changed anything) per a different tier of skill. Obviously it's most likely the first two but as I said before, SE has been known to use multiple equations for the same thing. Just look at Summoning Magic in FFXI.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Dard Ghalawad
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus View Post
    While I GREATLY respect you for going out there and testing yourself (you are right that laziness is a factor), you need to understand that eyeballing effects and proving your conclusions to the community differ by a huge amount of effort, time, and complexity. You can make theories all day long but without data to back it up, it will always be useless. It will take hours and need to conform to thorough and rigorous precision and empirical process, or it will not be accepted. I have defined a lot of these guidelines here:
    Section III: Empirical Testing Guidelines

We never got official answers on the damage formula for FFXI. Even 10 years later we STILL do not have a good understanding. Players of this game even now with this hardcore base are unable to understand FFXIV's stats system. With new players, especially this generation of competitive MMOs, they are not going to accept FFXIV's obscure stat system or attempt Forbidden materia craft. If Square Enix wants players to go the extra 10 miles exploring forbidden materia craft and contributing to the game's economy, they need to define the incentive to do so. Otherwise it will just be endless forum bickering over who is right and who is wrong with regards to weights in the damage formula, and people will continue to waste their time and money investing in their gear. Everybody loses. So devs, please work on getting a formula out there so we can get a better understanding how to compare all these parameters.
    I have to agree in this point!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Syntax Lies
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Leatherworker Lv 50
    the necro of all necros
    (0)

Player