Player
    Character
    Velo'a Nharoz
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Velox View Post
    Also in your abridged dictionary post, you have "peace" translating to "slumber" in dragonspeak. I'm assuming this isn't intended. :P
    To add to this, if this translation is indeed correct, would this imply that Eorzean's adopted the term for sleeping? And if so, why wouldn't they just adopt sohm as their word for sleep (even though sleep is pretty peaceful in itself)?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Coco Delouix
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Thank you for the gift of lore, Fernehawles. I admire your dedication and it's plain to see your love of Eorzea, so all I can ask is that you keep up the amazing work! It's interesting to learn more the dragons, to see they're much more than simple beasts Ishgardians would have us slay without thought. Very sad in many ways. So much hate and prejudice based on generations of fighting each other, and no real end in sight due to Nidhogg's influence.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Lufie Newleaf
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Monk Lv 90
    Thank you, Ferne. Always fascinating to learn more about the game. You guys and gals are so creative and clever to have built a world with so much depth.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Titania Basilikos
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
    EDIT
    Oh, and also looking forward to whether or not mor and dhona are conspicuously absent...
    Mor Dhona = mor[n] do[h] na
    = death forget [imperative]
    = Forget death! (or "Leave death behind!" or even "Forsake death!")
    (1)

5. 10-08-2015 04:12 PM

Player
    Character
    Miasma Eschaton
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 90
    After a few (many) months, my theory on what Akh Morn (Circle/Fate - Death)and Akh Afah (Circle/Fate - Eternal) translates into was proved wrong \:c/
    Though I'm happy we finally got a mini dictionary. This is going to be extremely helpful.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Velo'a Nharoz
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Oh, and also looking forward to whether or not mor and dhona are conspicuously absent...
    Given what we know now and what we know of Mor Dhona, it could be a bastardization like Mourn. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say it was a corrupted form of "mor[n] doh a[n]," roughly translating into "I, who has forgotten death." This would be alluding to the immortality of Midgardsormr who resided there.

Of course, I'm really grasping here.
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Velox View Post
    I think I found another two mistakes.

In the same quote, you say that Sohm Al (which was mispelled as Ahl in your post) translates to "eternal slumber." Eternal is "afa[h]" in dragonspeak. Sohm Al would translate to "the promised sleep/slumber."

Also in your abridged dictionary post, you have "peace" translating to "slumber" in dragonspeak. I'm assuming this isn't intended. :P

GAH! Thank you again. I'll fix the first (you are right). As for the second, peace and slumber are the same word in dragonspeak...but yeah, I should have so[h]m there, not slumber.

YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST PROOFREADERS!
    (18)

Player
    Character
    Tyrenne Tohka
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 52
    That was interesting. I was suspecting that FFXIV's dragonspeak was actually not just someone saying bullshit lines over and over again (because every sentances where different). I am also not surprised that the same voice is used regardless of localization. But the amount of work to make this is a bit interesting. Translate from Japanese to English and then to DragonSpeak... the only way you could be more convoluted would have been to add more languages in the translation chain but at least it makes for a apparently working language.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Yololo Yolo
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 83
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernehalwes View Post
    GAH! Thank you again. I'll fix the first (you are right). As for the second, peace and slumber are the same word in dragonspeak...but yeah, I should have so[h]m there, not slumber.

YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST PROOFREADERS!
    Being proofread by one's own players is a time-honored tradition. (I should know.)

Also this post is completely amazing, thank you for making it. When I have a little more time to digest it all, I'm sure I'll have a few questions of my own!
    (2)
    Always remember, please be careful.

Player
    Character
    Vik Vicious
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 70
    Looking forward to seeing how close Vik and I were as we chipped away at these, especially the Sorh Gahr mobs and dragon names from Anyx Trine.
    Quote Originally Posted by treuhavik View Post
    Fingers crossed! It was certainly difficult trying to broaden the scope of each definition, as dragons would, but I think we were really close with most of the words we worked on.
    SO CLOSE!
    (2)

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast