Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Inzoum Zimia
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 80
    You never cease to amaze me, Ferne. I just love reading (or hearing, when you're doing panels) about all the little details and the intricate thought process that goes into all the things that makes my favourite game so wonderful.

We're lucky the FFXIV team has you on board. Not only are you working hard to prepare quality content for the game, but you're also taking a lot of your time to share your experience with us and give us a glimpse of how things happen behind the scenes.

Congratulations on such a fine post, once again, it was a pleasure reading through it all!
    (4)
    Do you enjoy a global playerbase? GONDWANA is a fun and friendly Free Company family on Masamune. Our name reflects our diversity of culture and playstyle.
    We are proud to offer many services to our members, including a large company estate with plenty of facilities, discounted goods and company buffs every day of the week. We regularly organize large scale social events with fun games and prizes to win!
    Become one of the «GFolk» today! | http://gondwana.ovh

Player
    Character
    Rinoa Heartily
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 70
    This is pure gold, I feel cooler learning dragonspeak than other languages already..

Nice to see that you captured that concept of people using other languages (albeit most times incorrectly) and incorporating it to their own everyday life. Don't we all do that. English words that sometimes doesn't make sense but sounds cool as hell in japanese anime songs, tattoos with Japanese or Chinese words, or even random french in restaurant menus that doesn't always make sense.

Guess being "different" makes people look cool, but since everyone wants to be different in the same way they end up being similar again.. like how you pictured the Allagans.

There are so many moral lessons and real life comparisons made in the storyline that makes you feel the lore team is very wise.. I always imagined the life of someone who lived through it all and know which are lies from truths, much like Hraesvelgr. Politics and religion doesn't mean crap to him, he lived through it and how truth is twisted and history rewritten by momentary victors, and how there's no real "right" or "wrong" in life, only different actions and values in different time and circumstance.
    (3)
    Last edited by Richiealvian; 10-07-2015 at 07:05 PM.

Player
    Character
    Lyland Battersea
    World
    Chocobo
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernehalwes View Post
    Thanks TinyRedLeaf... Simple case of brain meltdown on that SVO/SOV mixup... Cheers!
    Haha, no problem, as long as you don't mind the occasional grammar nazi!

More importantly, I've got lore-related questions, in case you're still in the mood to respond.

1) To what extent do the spoken races understand dragonspeak?

We've seen, for example, that even people without the Echo could inexplicably understand Hraesvelgr. Alphinaud clearly heard dragonspeak, but he was shocked to discover that he could understand every word. Is this quality unique to the First Brood?

2) To what extent do the dragons themselves speak Eorzean?

Because Midgardsormr himself, the father of all dragons, speaks Eorzean. Or, at least, we the players think he does, since he apparently converses with the WoL in plain Eorzean. Or has the Echo helpfully played Babel fish for us?

3) With reference to Q1, assuming that the average Eorzean doesn't understand dragonspeak, what are the chances that reference material can be found in repositories like the Great Gubal Library?

I ask because I imagine that this could be one way to explain how player-characters come to "learn" dragonspeak, and understand as well as we the players do, thanks to this immensely informative article.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Elai Khatahdyn
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Thanks for this, it was fascinating.

I love the idea that the First Brood have lived so long, they've pared language down to its bare essentials and communication involves a great deal more than words. It makes a lot of sense. It's very different from the direction Tolkien went in for Entish - he made that interminably slow, verbose and very frustrating for anyone else to listen to - but it works.

I'm a little worried that I was so excited to see that you'd posted on the Lore forum; I think I may be getting too obsessed with lore stoof! Also you made me loathe the Allaghans even more than I already did, although I'm glad their intellectual hubris came back to bite them on the ass big-time
    (0)
    Last edited by Elladie; 10-07-2015 at 08:43 PM.

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Thanks for all these updates! Before I replied, I went through the whole post adding new word definitions and checking words I'd found but not defined... and then found the note that things would be posted tomorrow. Whoops.

Indeed, I'd say you've succeeded in the language - even when I feel rather confident that I've cracked something unconfirmed (Hess Afah! - To "see forever"! The top of the mountain!), I find upon further review that it's not so simple (Wait a minute, that means to "Watch Forever", as in Tioman was on guard).

Looking forward to seeing how close Vik and I were as we chipped away at these, especially the Sorh Gahr mobs and dragon names from Anyx Trine.

EDIT
    Oh, and also looking forward to whether or not mor and dhona are conspicuously absent...

Quote Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
    1) To what extent do the spoken races understand dragonspeak?
    2) To what extent do the dragons themselves speak Eorzean?
    3) With reference to Q1, assuming that the average Eorzean doesn't understand dragonspeak, what are the chances that reference material can be found in repositories like the Great Gubal Library?
    A good chunk of information related to this can be found in the old Dragonspeak introduction.
    (5)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 10-07-2015 at 10:19 PM.

Player
    Character
    Reiku Lumenaris
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    That was pretty great. Thanks.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ysera Dei-ijla
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 71
    Thank you verrrry much, oh great eyeball!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Hex Pathcrosser
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 72
    After reading that, I kind of wish all the beast tribes really did have their own language!
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Adelfia Balfegar
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    This Dragon language is fascinating.
    Every-time I hear it in game I freeze ! It's powerful and sounds ancient and intimidating !

Just wanted to say thanks to you guys who made this !
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Vik Vicious
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
    Looking forward to seeing how close Vik and I were as we chipped away at these, especially the Sorh Gahr mobs and dragon names from Anyx Trine.
    Fingers crossed! It was certainly difficult trying to broaden the scope of each definition, as dragons would, but I think we were really close with most of the words we worked on.
    (1)

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast