Daniel Powerful
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 11

What am I?

Hello world!
    I'm new to this game, and I love it.
    All of my life I played MMO's but this one is insane...

Anyway,
    My English is not very good (I do speak & read good but I think the English level at the game is much higher - and that brings next qustions :

1) What am I?
    when I started I chose to be an Arcanist, which came to be a Cleric? I think?
    Now, will I get more skills at any point? I used to play maplestory where at lvl 30, 60 and 120 you get a job which gives you new skills. is it the same in this game?

2) There is a Bandit / thief / assassin job? I would love to have a list of the professions in the game and what they mean (even a link would be fine!)

Thank you for your help!
    see you in game.
    Daniel.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kinnison Arcspeed
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    1 - You started with Arcanist, which is the only one class that you can branch off to two different jobs that you can switch between each other. One is a Summoner, the other is a Scholar. Summoner is a DPS class and the advancement of Arcanist, with more offensive spells and powerful pet while Scholar is a Healer class that utilize mitigation healing and pets are replaced with fairies that heals alongside with you. You advance from Arcanist to Summoner/Scholar at level 30, which you can get new skills every 5 levels thereafter on top of your Arcanist ones. At level 50 - 60 you start getting them every 2 levels but you stop getting anything from Arcanist. Also Summoner/Scholar shares the same level with Arcanist so you don't have to switch back to it after you gain either jobs.

2 - Yeah you get to unlock the Rogue class at Limsa Lominsa, which advance to the Ninja job. You don't have to create a new character to play Rogue, your current character can switch forth and back to any classes provided that you unlocked them first.

http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Rogue
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Daniel Powerful
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 11
    Amazing! thank you.
    Can you give me a little bit more information about the "...can switch forth and back to any classes." thats new. how does it works?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kinnison Arcspeed
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    What I mean about that is unlike most other MMORPG out there where you create a character and select a job then that character will be stuck with that job for the rest of the game. In FFXIV, you are allowed to play every single job available out there with only a single character. Lets say you want to try out Rogue, just head to the guild in Limsa and talk to the Receptionist NPC to unlock the class with your current character. No need to restart a new character just for Rogue.

How it works? Once you unlocked Rogue, you will be given the class' weapon which is a dagger. To switch to other class in this game, simply equip the weapon of that class and you will immediately switch to that class.

As you progress you will be taught how to use the Gearsets, it's a convenient feature that let you switch between jobs easily with one click. Because Arcanist is a spellcaster and Rogue is a physical class, you definitely can't (or won't) wear gears of the other class so when you switch between the two you will have to equip the optimum gear for that class. Gearsets let you save the equipment that you wore on that class so with one just click you can equip back everything for that class as you switch (as long as the equipment is still in your possession)
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Aoi Xenon
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 80
    Simply change your weapon will change your class. After you completed job quest on level 30, you will get job crystal, equip different job crystal will allow you to switch between jobs.
    You can play all classes and jobs in one character.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Daniel Powerful
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 11
    Thank you all! you are amazing. ) bless you!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    I'shtola Maqa
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    You can basically have every class (later on turns into a job) all on the same character and easily changed by switching out your weapon.
    All jobs used cross class abilities from other classes so you will eventually want to level multiples anyhow.
    Like for example Archer has Quelling Strikes which reduces agro and Raging Strikes which increases damage. I use these abilities on my Smn and Black Mage.
    Beauty about you starting off Arcanist is you can level the 2 jobs at the same time since Summoner and Scholar is sort of a "shared" class, makes leveling up so much quicker and easier.
    For bonus stat allocations (in character menu) you will want all in dexterity for Rogue/Ninja, Arcanist/Summoner would be intelligence.

Welcome to the game
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Y'kayah Tia
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 50
    Once you start unlocking multiple classes, each class will have its own level. If you're a level 15 Arcanist when you unlock Rogue, for instance, then switching your weapon between a book and daggers would switch you between being a level 15 Arcanist and a level 1 Rogue. Experience earned while an Arcanist levels up your Arcanist class and experience earned while a Rogue levels up your Rogue class.

Jobs are a little different, because they're considered a specialization of their main class. (Both Scholars and Summoners are still Arcanists, for instance, and still equip Arcanist weapons.) A job shares the level of its main class, and all experience earned as the job advances that main class. So as either a Summoner or Scholar, you'd be getting Arcanist experience points.

(Then the three extra jobs introduced with the Heavensward expansion are different yet. They're still called "jobs" but are essentially a hybrid of a class and job rolled into one. You won't be able to unlock those until after reaching level 50 and completing the whole Realm Reborn story, though, so it's a bit early to worry about those yet. I'll mainly just discuss the others.)

Oh, and if you get into the crafting and gathering classes, those ones don't have a job advancement. They stay as a class all the way through.

Since you started as an Arcanist, I'm assuming you're probably still in Limsa Lominsa. You can unlock several classes from there. Once you get to the level 15 quest "The Lominsan Envoy" in the main story, you'll unlock travel to the other cities, so you can add additional classes whose guilds are there.

Classes with class guilds in Limsa Lominsa (and their associated jobs):
    Arcanist (magic damage dealer, weapon = book) advances to Summoner (magic damage dealer) and/or Scholar (healer)
    Marauder (tank, weapon = axe) advances to Warrior
    Rogue (physical melee damage dealer, weapon = a pair of daggers) advances to Ninja
    Culinarian (crafting)
    Blacksmith (crafting)
    Armorer (crafting)
    Fisherman (gathering)

Classes with class guilds in Gridania (and their associated jobs):
    Conjurer (healer, weapon = staff or wand) advances to White Mage
    Archer (physical ranged damage dealer, weapon = bow) advances to Bard
    Lancer (physical melee damage dealer, weapon = spear) advances to Dragoon
    Leatherworker (crafting)
    Carpenter (crafting)
    Botanist (gathering)

Classes with class guilds in Ul'dah (and their associated jobs):
    Gladiator (tank, weapon = sword and shield) advances to Paladin
    Pugilist (physical melee damage dealer, weapon = fist weapons (knuckles, claws, etc.)) advances to Monk
    Thaumaturge (magic damage dealer, weapon = staff or wand) advances to Black Mage
    Weaver (crafting)
    Goldsmith (crafting)
    Alchemist (crafting)
    Miner (gathering)

Quote Originally Posted by DanielOhana View Post
    Now, will I get more skills at any point?
    There are two ways to gain skills. Many skills are are received automatically, as soon as you reach a certain level. Other skills are rewarded from your class or job quests. Each 5 levels from 1 to 30 there is a quest available at your class guild (for each class you unlock). Then, once you unlock jobs, they have quests each 5 levels from 30 to 50 and I believe it's every couple levels from 50 to 60. Some of these quests grant skills that will be important. As Arcanist, the first of this type will come from your level 15 class quest, which will grant you the "Summon II" skill, giving you access to a new type of pet.

Welcome to the game. Hope you enjoy it.
    (2)