World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 60

Lock and Load: The Reassembled Machinist Guide

Lock and Load: The Reassembled Machinist Guide
    Updated 9/15/15 for Patch 3.07
    Griffeth White of Behemoth

If you are new to machinist, or would like a little more information on the job please see the up to date Google Doc here: Google Doc

The TL;DR Version of the doc with the most up to date info:

The Updated Opener

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFm5WWJQEso
    Single Gauss Round
    This is the prefered opener for most top end machinists. Gives the highest potential burst in wildfire and sets you up for better buff alignment later on in the fight.

Items in Bold are oGCD abilities.

On run-back or while buffing
    Quick Reload for Two ammo

8 sec Pre-Pull
    -Gauss Barrel (on)
    5 sec Pre-Pull
    -Rook Autoturret (if more Physical DPS than Magical DPS, if otherwise, Bishop Autoturret)
    4 sec Pre-Pull
    Hawk’s Eye
    Blood for Blood
    Hypercharge
    Raging Strikes

Pull

Hot Shot - Potion*

Lead Shot - Reload

Split Shot - Wild Fire

Slug Shot - Quick Reload + Reassemble

Clean Shot - Rapid Fire + Ricochet

Split Shot - Gauss Round

Slug Shot - Head Graze

Split Shot - Blank

Clean Shot

Split Shot

Start normal rotation

*****Alternate opener to accommodate for a late TA/Disembowel****

Use above pre-pull sequence

Hot Shot - Potion

Lead Shot - Reload

Split Shot - Wild Fire

Slug Shot - Quick Reload + Rapidfire

Split Shot - Reassemble

ta/disembowel should be up by now

Clean Shot - Ricochet

Slug Shot - Gauss Round

Split Shot (cast time) - Blank

Clean Shot - Head Graze

Start normal rotation...

*Technically you can start you Hot Shot with 1 second on the pull timer, but your tanks need to be on the ball for the pull. If your tanks are slow to react this WILL screw with boss positioning, so adjust accordingly.

AoE
    First, keep up Hot Shot + Gauss Barrel + Bishop Autoturret. Then decide depending on the number of targets as well as the encounter length.
    If the targets will live for less than 30 seconds, use Grenado Shot.
    If the targets will live more than 30 seconds, use Spread Shot.

Tentative Stat Weights (3.01) - THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS (Stat weights suck to figure out)
    w/o GB
    WD - 9.172
    Dexterity - 1.000
    Determination - 0.126
    Critical Hit Rate - 0.139
    Skill Speed - 0.015

w/ GB
    WD - 10.71
    Dexterity - 1.000
    Determination - 0.125
    Critical Hit Rate - 0.140
    Skill Speed - 0.020

BiS
    3.0 - Base Game
    http://ffxiv.ariyala.com/QWAV
    http://ffxiv.ariyala.com/QXOB
    3.05 - Esoteric + Savage
    http://ffxiv.ariyala.com/RBKR
    (7)
    Last edited by Griffeth; 09-23-2015 at 01:28 PM.

Player
    Character
    Griffeth White
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 60
    Guide Changelog:

12 – Changelog
    9/22/15 - Updated BiS to maximize crit and food useage for a4s
    9/18/15 - Added video for the opener.
    9/15/15 - Thanks to Lyrica Ashtine on the forums for pointing out the issues with section 2 and 5. These have been corrected.
    Added a slightly delayed opener to accommodate for a late Trick or Disembowel
    9/11/15 - Added Lead Shot to AoE section for 2-3 targets. Added Special Thanks section to remove it from the top of the guide. Changed name.
    9/3/15 - Updated Single Gauss Round rotation per recommendations.
    8/25/15 - Updated for patch 3.07. Adjustments to Quick Reload added.
    8/24/15 - Added bookmarking for quick navigation. Will be testing this until a better solution is found.
    8/24/15 - Added possible 3.05 BiS. Will need to double check accuracy needs for a4s
    8/24/15 - Changed potency for Gauss Round and Ricochet, Recast and Cast timer for Gauss Barrel
    8/24/15 - Updated Opener with Single Gauss and Double Gauss
    8/24/15 - A doc is born!
    7/7/15 - Last update to forum front page guide

13 – Special Thanks
    Credits to Cascadi for the original guide. This document is being created to allow for easier updates to the overall guide and to allow for faster community input.
    Special thanks to the machinist community for keeping this updated and contributing to its overall success!
    (1)
    Last edited by Griffeth; 09-23-2015 at 01:28 PM.

Player
    Character
    Sadako Yamamura
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 1
    There's a contradiction in chapter 1 2 and chapter 5

I'll omit what the exact contradiction is to make you re-read all of it and perhaps spot more points that requires re-writing.

Edit:
    Sorry, I meant chapter 2, not 1
    (0)
    Last edited by Lyrica_Ashtine; 09-16-2015 at 01:24 AM.

Player
    Character
    Griffeth White
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyrica_Ashtine View Post
    There's a contradiction in chapter 1 2 and chapter 5

I'll omit what the exact contradiction is to make you re-read all of it and perhaps spot more points that requires re-writing.

Edit:
    Sorry, I meant chapter 2, not 1
    I am guessing you were referencing the end of Section 2 and its comments about Gauss Barrel. I have no idea how I missed that section but thank you it has been removed.

Section 5 has also been updated.
    (0)
    Last edited by Griffeth; 09-16-2015 at 01:56 AM.

Player

for the opener, an alternative to accommodate a late TA/disembowel would go like

Hot Shot - Potion

Lead Shot - Reload

Split Shot - Wild Fire

Slug Shot - Quick Reload + Rapidfire

Split Shot - Reassemble

ta/disembowel should be up by now

Clean Shot - Ricochet

Slug Shot - Gauss Round

Split Shot (cast time) - Blank

Clean Shot - Head Graze

---

you don't need to this if your melee can reach the boss fast enough or if you delay your prepull precast a bit, but it's an option for when the situation is otherwise

also, technically the optimal oGCD order is GR>ricochet>hg/sf>blank in terms of potency per second. i like doing ricochet before GR still, because if i do GR first, it comes up during hotshot refresh; doing the 2nd hotshot>GR right after means the GR won't be buffed by the hotshot (because of the time it takes to register a buff vs when all dmg in a skill is finalized). with GR 2nd it comes up after the 2nd leadshot.

--

for oGCD priority, if TP/ammo timing/wildfire prepping wasn't a factor, i'd probably put the order as GR>ricochet>HG>QR>blank. the way i see it (bad math ahead), QR is around 50 potency gain starting from 0 ammo, and only drops in value if you have more ammo loaded. obviously if you are in a fight that needs TP at some point it'd have higher priority, and if you're prepping for a wildfire soon or so, then you'd use it to load a proc up for it too.
    (2)
    Last edited by Aiurily; 09-16-2015 at 03:13 AM.

Player
    Character
    Myon Miya
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    On a macro level, thinking about the whole fight I've sometimes wondered if it's most optimum to use your damaging ogcds (during the opener) from shortest cooldown to longest, which would mean GR > Blank/Head Graze > Ricochet. Most of the other ogcds like Rapid Fire have rigid places they have to go in (before the split/slug/split portion), but the damaging ones are pretty free for all.

If you use one ogcd before the other, you are basically electing to put it on cooldown 1 second faster than the other ogcd. So the shorter the cooldown, the greater the chance that putting it on cooldown earlier will net you one extra use of it over the course of the fight.

Consider the situation where the boss dies, or the fight pauses because of a phase change. If something lucrative to hit like Ricochet was juuuust about to finish its cooldown, you'd be kicking yourself for not using it just a bit earlier on the previous use of it - if you had you would have been able to squeeze in more more use of it. If you squeeze in one last Ricochet just before a big phase of downtime, you've gained a massive lead over the person who didn't put it on cooldown yet.

For something really long like Ricochet (1 minute), this can end up being pretty rare because a 1 minute cooldown is really big and chunky, and it's not often that shaving 1 second off will net an extra use later due to lucky timings. But for something like Gauss Round that's only 20 seconds, putting it on cd 1 second faster can make a larger difference proportionally in it being up again when you want it to be.

Of course all this is highly dependent on timings. DPS and phase changes are hardly consistent so it's not something you can count on when you need it. It's something that'll you'll do passively and it'll contribute over the long run - like you'll get 2 extra Gauss Rounds on average in.. a week of raiding or something, miniscule but still something interesting to think about.
    (0)
    Last edited by Myon88; 09-16-2015 at 03:42 AM.

Player
    Character
    Kiara Silvermoon
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 60
    Thanks Griffeth!

Much better that we have a properly updating OP and thread for Machinist.

Looking forward to new info here.
    (0)

Character
    Iagainsti Kilamanjiro
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60
    Opinions on PvP? I have been leveling my MCH on the basis (looking at actions/pvp actions) that MCH Burst would be OP, I'll post my theorycraft rotations if you like, but if anyone playing a lvl 60 MCH extensively has done a lot of PvP, I'd rather see your opinions and accounts. Also, again theorycraft, but I believe in regards to PvP, stats would be Skillsp 540>Det>Crit? Thoughts?
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Myon Miya
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    I think you'd be much happier as a BRD if you want PvP burst damage, our only 'burst' is Wildfire which requires you to train a target for 15 seconds straight to get full utility - that's never gonna happen in PvP.

BRD have Barrage + Empyreal Arrow for a no setup, 660 potency nuke.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Vinegar Vinegar
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 60
    mch is amazing in pvp. Rapid fire allows you to start up your procs so you can be mobile while attacking someone, you have lots of CC, and foot graze+between the eyes works out to be a ~700 potency instant damage ogcd before buffs.

My feeling is mch is maybe the best class for blowing a solo target up, and one of the best for overall damage output.
    (0)

Page 1 of 69 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast