Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Player
    Character
    Sida Bajihri
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    I did the interim quests between 2.0 and 3.0 not a month ago on my second character. What can I say, I ran out of quests on my main and wanted to see the story again. As for what I noticed, the firat patch and to some amount the second patch content could do with some small cuts here and there, and that's coming from a person who loves questing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling for eradication but minor edits that wont really change the story, just remove some of the tediousness. The flow is really annoying at first, which is for most newcomers what they see and judge it by. Good news though! The patch content gets much more streamlined after the first few steps. I guess they figured it out as they want.
    (0)
    If you say 'pls' because it's shorter than 'please', I say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'.

Player
    Character
    Winter Willow
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 70
    I feel like some of the 2.0-3.0 content could be trimmed (less fetch quests, keep the main story), and the exp increased. That way, it'll feel a little less like a slog. However, I'm glad I did it. I like the fact that there's so much story in this game and that it isn't all focused around one thread. I'm glad I had to go through the whole thing so that I had all the context.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Aoshi Firedancer
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 80
    A lot of the writing is very well done give it a chance. When you get to max level you're going to find out about profession grinding so you can materia your gear and you think a few piddly quests take too long? Hahahahahahah welcome to an eastern mmo.

Let's not even mention how long it takes to learn how to make gil. Buy a house and unlock mounts and create furniture. You're in for a treat. No need to blaze through anything.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Ahmira Duskbloom
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 80
    Because this game is story driven, each expansion has a large chunk of story after you "reach level cap" because it goes for two years before the next. Each patch takes about 2-4 hours of quests and there is usually only 5 patches; yes that's alot of time gating an expansion for a new player. Thing is, you can't enjoy the 15-50 MSQ and Then go straight into HW because it would make Zero sense! Is there filler? yes, fetch quests and talk to several people in odd places; of course, but it's a MMO... par for the course. HW does actually have the same thing, there is less "filler" in the patches because of player reactions to the ARR->HW gate but everyone still has to complete the 3.1-3.56 MSQ before SB content (except RDM and SAM, apparently)
    Personally I started an alt to rewatch the MSQs properly. She's currently in the 2.x content and I get what your saying, but the story is really good too!
    (0)
    "Welcome to the ranks of the blue mages. However, at this moment you are but an empty vessel--a base creature, weaker than the most ordinary mortal. A blue mage must wrest her strength and vitality from her enemies. Show me your hunger for unrivaled power! This is the only guidance I shall give you."
    ~ Final Fantasy XI Treasures of Aht Urhgan

Player
    Character
    Scarlett Dzian
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 76
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikedizzy View Post
    Why don't you want to play the "entire" game and story you paid for? Just wondering because if you just blow by all this content then you are really missing out. I know I am not you and you are entitle to play however you want but if I joined in late I would want to experience the entire game and not miss stuff. There is nothing you are missing in 3.0. World first race is long over so you have time to catch up and your own pace. The only issues I see is if you are trying to be a crafter...then you have a ton of work to put in. Enjoy the game and have some fun.
    To be honest there's so much junk in the story it's not surprising it puts people off. Something like 40 odd quests between titan and garda for example but of those 40 how many are actually relevant to the main plot.

Hey you jus smashed a primal but please help me kill these slugs ruining our crops. Why??????
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Enkidoh Roux
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Because it's your job description? You're told outright the moment you sign up at the Adventurer's Guild right at the very start of the game that being an adventurer isn't all fame and glory and saving the world, it usually just means doing mundane, boring tasks for the average person in the street for little reward, but by doing such odd jobs you build a rapport with the people of Eorzea, and eventually you're entrusted with more important tasks.

Also there is a technical reason why there is so many filler quests - the main scenario was designed to be the main form of levelling originally so the story had to be executed in such a way that there was enough quests to get a new person to 50 by the Ultima Weapon, so some padding was required. Of course things have since changed with alternative means of levelling (such as dungeons having their exp boosted, and of course Palace of the Dead), but the main scenario is still considered the primary means of levelling by the development team, and this will not change.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Y'kayah Tia
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzian View Post
    To be honest there's so much junk in the story it's not surprising it puts people off. Something like 40 odd quests between titan and garda for example but of those 40 how many are actually relevant to the main plot.
    The entire story arc with the Ishgardians of the Coerthas Central Highlands takes place there, along with the whole part about Cid and his airship. It's an incredibly important section of the storyline. If anything it's a bit too truncated, since the whole business of dealing with the events that happened while you were off fighting Titan got cut off a bit abruptly in order to be able to fit the next story arc in.

About the closest that 2.0 comes to "filler" quests is at level 23 with "Druthers House Rules" which is there to introduce you to Buscarron, followed by "Never Forget", "Microbrewing", and "Like Fine Wine", which introduce you not just to Teteroon, but through him to the entire Qiqirn race. So those are important in themselves because of what you learn of Eorzea through them. They just seem "filler-ish" because it's a break from the rest of what's going on in the story with the Slyph elder. (And in any case it's only four simple quests before you're back to aiding the Slyphs.)
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kethic Zachrias
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    MSQ Quest Count

2.0: 184
    2.1+: 100
    3.0: 94
    3.1+: 44

Note that quest count doesn't indicate number of steps in a quest. And yes, the 2.1+ exp is pretty bad in most cases.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Lindsey Fletcher
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 70
    When you see the amount of MSQ then the side quests to sort the flying, the gear and unlocking Dungeons there is really no quick way yet. Unless ofc when Stormblood comes out you pay $50 and buy the MSQ and Level booster potions
    (0)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4