Character
    Didimiaou Dimiaou
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 60

How does magica work ?

Miaou !
    It've been few days that i'm looking for some information about magica.
    I know that the quests will answer to my questions but i've no time to do them all
    Maybe there is already a topic about that, but i havn"t found it.
    So, I'm looking for knowing how magica works. For exemple, Arcanic use algorithmes. But I'm looking for more details. The history of the black mage for an other exemple. I only have few details about void and that is forbiden to teach and what else ?

If you know where i can found some answers...
    Thank you
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Achalys Frostbolt
    World
    Lich
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 70
    hmm, i guess i can try to explain how Aether, kinda works if im not wrong. Well, first of all, nearly everything is made of aether, regardless its form or concentration.

there is the vital aether (wich is explained how it works in a lvl 50 main quest) with the cycle, with the void, with the aetherflow.

then there is also the magic itself. Some races (as far as we know, garleans can't) can draw the aether from its surroundings and channel it as an attack. It is also possible to use your OWN aether but its like, using your own soul (conjurer quests)

some people can even use massive amounts of aether/prayer to be vessels for primal summoning, when that person gets weak/the crystal aether ends. there are 2 options, you can either suspend it, or you can feed the primal being off your own aether, wich ends with the person phisical form disapearing afterwards. Leaving no phisical body behind.

not sure if it answers what you wanted but if you have more questions/ want to reformulate , say and ill try to answer!
    (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahabrea

From the deepest pit of the seven hells, to the very pinnacle of the heavens, the world shall tremble! Unleash

Ultima!

Player
    Character
    Jojo Bojangles
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    its weird cause aether is drawn from crystals yet you can cast spells which is drawn from aether from anywhere without crystals
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Enkidoh Roux
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 70
    If you start the game as a CNJ when you first visit the CNJ's Guild the receptionist gives a basic explanation about how magic in a broad sense works, it is the manipulation of aether - the difference is in how each class/Job actually uses that aether and, more importantly, where they source it from:

Quote Originally Posted by Main Scenario Quest 'A Good Adventurer is Hard to Find'
    Madelle: "You seek the secrets of conjury, adventurer? Then search no longer, for you have found your way to the Conjurer's Guild."
    Madelle: "It is at Miounne's request that you have come? Then allow me to provide you with an overview of what it is to be a conjurer."
    Madelle: "Conjury is the art of healing and purification. Its practitioners harness the power of nature, that they might bring about change in the form of spells."
    Madelle: "Primitive magic such as that once wrought by individuals known as mages-meaning those with the ability to manipulate aether-has existed since the dawn of time."
    Madelle: "It was not until some five centuries ago that conjury emerged from this shapeless agglomeration of spells and charms-an event that led to the founding of Gridania."
    Madelle: "In those dark days, the elementals would not suffer man's presence in the Twelveswood, forcing our forebears to make their homes beneath the earth, in the great subterranean city of Gelmorra."
    Madelle: "But their desire to settle in the Twelveswood continued to burn fiercely; time and again they sought to curry the elementals' favour."
    Madelle: "Unlike men and other creatures bound in temples of flesh, the elementals are beings of pure aether. Recognizing this, the mages of eld reasoned that their talent for aetheric manipulation might allow them to communicate with these theretofore enigmatic entities."
    Madelle: "It took five long decades, but our forebears finally succeeded. Their reward: the elementals' permission to dwell in the Twelveswood. So it was that the nation of Gridania was born."
    Madelle: "Since that time, the elementals have taught us to live as one with nature, speaking to all Gridanians through the Hearers-those mages who are able to commune with them."
    Madelle: "And for their intimacy with the elementals, the Hearers would go on to attain great mastery over the forces of nature. Thus did they conceive the art of conjury."
    So there you have it - magic in a broad sense is basically the mainpulation of aether, where that aether comes from and how it's used determined by exactly what class or Job the mage is. In a nutshell the basic types of magic in terms of class are:

Conjury is the borrowing of aether from the surrounding environment (specifically from the elementals) and channeled through a staff or wand 'of unworked wood' into the desired spell.
    Thaumaturgy is the manipulation of aether from the user's own lifeforce by deep meditation and introspection, channeling it through a metal wand or scepter with a medium in the form of a gemstone. This school of magic developed from aetheric techniques originally used in Ul'dahn funerary rites.
    Arcanima is the mathematical manipulation of aether through arcane geometries and formulas. It's main purpose is to undertake customs checking within Limsa Lominsa (hence why the ACN Guild is a customs house), but it's ultimate form is summoning a familiar known as a Carbuncle.

The Jobs are somewhat more obscure as to how they actually generate their spells, but it seems that as they piggyback on a base class (except for AST of course), it's most likely that they just utilize their base class's source of aether (WHM from the environment, BLM from the user etc).

If I've made any mistakes, please feel free to clarify or correct me.
    (1)
    Last edited by Enkidoh; 08-30-2015 at 11:26 AM.

Player
    Character
    Didimiaou Dimiaou
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 60
    Yeah it's the first part of the answer. Thank you for those details
    The second part is that you said: "the difference is in how each class/Job actually uses that aether". How does the differents class/job use aether ?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Zohar Lahar
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 70
    Actually, BLM also draws from the environment in addition to internal aether (with the soul crystal acting as a power regulator to prevent self-immolation).

AST apparently draws extraterrestrial aether from constellations. DRK draws its magic from the abyss / inner darkness.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Didimiaou Dimiaou
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 60
    Yeah I know big lines, but is there any other details ?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tobias Shadowmane
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    Didn't Thordian say, Aether is aether, no matter where it came from. (crystals, Niddhogs eye, the Ascian, or souls (implied)). That suggests Aether is a type of energy all things share or have, that happens to be concentrated in crystals (which may become aspected to a particular element). It may as well be like the force in starwars. Some people are more sensitive to it and can learn to manipulate or sense it if they have a naturally higher than normal amount of Aether in their being.

Monks may refer it as Chakra and train their bodies to channel and focus it in a physical manner as opposed to how Mages use it. I can only hope Monks eventually get a chi blast to help explain it.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Alexandria Chevalier
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 61
    Could it be that Garleans' inability to manipulate aether is an indicator that they are not native to the world of Hydaelyn?
    (1)

Character
    Pontiff Sulyvahn
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalex View Post
    Could it be that Garleans' inability to manipulate aether is an indicator that they are not native to the world of Hydaelyn?
    (0)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast