Player
    Character
    Raist Soulforge
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Dejectedbunny View Post
    The inconvenience of the system aside, the main point there was that SE's other MMO (which in my opinion is really the only suitable basis for comparison here) managed to continually add additional storage over the lifespan of the game.
    You also have to keep in mind the time frame for those advancements though as well. After all, we have only just now had our first expansion to XIV 2.0...essentially putting us at the Zilart stage of XI by comparison...or CoP if you were to consider the 2.0 the equivalent of the bundled Vanilla XI/ZM with the worldwide release. Regardless of which way you look at it, that means you should be backing out much of that added storage that didn't came into play until something like 4 or 5 years later in it's development.

Edit:
    Found a link to the timeline for the important patches and such organized by expansions. The link is to the initial launch game's page. You can click the links to each expansion up near the top under the blue bar: http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Category:News/FFXI

Notice that Mog locker wasn't even introduced until TAU in 2006 (3rd expansion), and only had 30 slots with quests to expand it to 50---didn't get up to 80 until June of 2007. Note also that the gobbie bag was STILL limited to 60 slots. WotG got us to 70 in November of 2007--it didn't hit 80 until May of 2009. So it wasn't until nearly 7 years after the game released that we had all 80 slots implemented across 5 containers (bag, safe, locker, sack, satchel). Remember, the game launched in 2002. It took ~7 years and 4 expansions to reach that point. The game had 20 jobs at that point, some of which required you to not only carry situational gears but also tools and ammo as well. And lets not forget the extensive crafting (8 + fishing) and HELM activities as well--and to gather you had to carry consumable tools for each specific activity (axe, scythe, pickaxe, pole and baits/lures). Let's not forget that to craft you had to have crystals (8 varities mind you, and you could have clusters of them as well) in your gobbie bag in addition to the items needed for the crafting, as well as equipping any gear that might augment the crafting. And there was also food, potions, and meds on top of that---still limited to an 80-slot container for immediate usage.
    (0)
    Last edited by Raist; 08-20-2015 at 08:06 AM.

Player
    Character
    Apop Tic
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilite View Post
    Please don't judge me based on the amount of classes/jobs I have and then assume. You don't know my situation and I do not know yours. (I have one main, lvl60BLM, lvl59WAR.. 30+ on nearly all crafts..)

I'm fairly sure, even though I will never do this, that getting all the paid retainers wont make a difference. Your situations with space will not change.
    Criticizes me for making assumptions. Then makes assumptions about what others would do with more space. Claims to know universal truth about inventory management. Accuses me of looking foolish.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Valentyne Laska
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosmos992k View Post
    Whether they take an inventory slot or not, they are included with the data that is backed up every 15 seconds, so moving them to another tab would not relieve the issue that is preventing the expansion of inventory, it would simply shift however many item slots from Inventory to currency. Also, glamor prisms are currently a consumable item that you can purchase, currency items work in a different fashion. One thing that might help would be to boost the stack size of all items in inventory which would at least prevent multiple stacks of the same thing taking up more than one slot.
    Technically any streamlining of the inventory system to relieve congestion will involve creating new tables in FFXIV's database and adding to existing ones. I'm banking on the idea that Yoshida's comment only refers to expanding the inventory system in its current form as opposed to saying they don't want to alter the current inventory system. A player's personal inventory is meant for items with some semblance of transience, so things like housing and vanity items don't really belong there. As things currently are, people will find it increasingly difficult to enjoy what the game has to offer if they fail to do something to fix the inventory system.
    (0)
    Last edited by Fendred; 08-20-2015 at 06:05 AM.

Character
    Kosmos Meishou
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Fendred View Post
    Technically any streamlining of the inventory system to relieve congestion will involve creating new tables in FFXIV's database and adding to existing ones. I'm banking on the idea that Yoshida's comment only refers to expanding the inventory system in its current form as opposed to saying they don't want to alter the current inventory system. A player's personal inventory is meant for items with some semblance of transience, so things like housing and vanity items don't really belong there.
    His quotes have been pretty specific talking about the sheer amount of data that is being backed up per character every 15 seconds. Adding new tables will only increase the amount of data bandwidth needed - it's bandwidth, not space that is the issue. I'm pretty well certain that re-implementing inventory in part or in it's entirety was not originally part of their plans, and so it's unlikely a major re-working would happen before 4.0.

I could see them expanding on things like the Armoire because I don't believe that it is stored with the character data. To me, any inventory that you can only access through a specific interface at a specific location should be held separately from player data, and potentially could have a much more limited impact on the data required for character backup. But, I don't know their database structure, so it's really hard to do more than talk in general and theoretical terms.

We're two years into the game, they are about to embark on an EU data center. I can't help but think that the issue of back end server bandwidth is something that won't change significantly until the servers undergo a hardware refresh. Two years is not that long in terms of server life cycle. Sure it's an eternity in technology - but you want more than 2 years from server infrastructure. 4 years in, and you might be looking at upgrades...
    (1)
    Last edited by Kosmos992k; 08-20-2015 at 06:13 AM.

Player
    Character
    Neri Feralheart
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilite View Post
    (not wasting my time with the poster above)
    Hi. You are very confrontational. I would recommend working with your therapist on that issue as it will not serve you well later in life, but that's really your business. Have a great life.
    (3)
    (The links below are sadly outdated. I hope to get around to updating things at some point.)
    Desynthesis Guide: http://tinyurl.com/ffxivdesynth

Airship Guide: http://tinyurl.com/ffxivairshipguide (\v/) Airship Quick Reference: http://tinyurl.com/ffxivairshipqr
    Airship Logsheet: http://tinyurl.com/ffxivairshiplog (/|\) Airship Builder Tool: http://tinyurl.com/ffxivairshipbuilder

Player
    Character
    Neira Velithe
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 64
    It seems to me that two simple things could be instantly done to ease some of the burden.
    1) Expand the allowable items for the Armoire.
    2) Make one or more of the paid retainer's free.
    Neither would be a permanent long-term fix, but both could be implemented immediately and would help out the players. However, since they have done neither, and -have- added extra rented retainers, it seems quite obvious to me that they aren't trying to fix the issue or make things easier on us. My guess would be that this, like anything developed, is intentional.

I know some people still wish to believe that there is magic used to create games, and that things like this can be the result of RNG, but I assure everyone that this entire game was designed to be the way it is. If there is a problem, it was designed that way, and given that the only designed fix(17mo ago) was that introduction of rented storage, it's pretty obvious that their solution was also designed to cost us extra. It's the only solution they've explored since inventory first became an issue back in 2.2, and one they recently expanded on.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Rain Arrows
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 60
    Why can't they just take space from the "special items" tab and give us more room in our Rings tab that is all I need room in. I am so sick of having to keep my Dark Knight rings in my regular inventory and having to equip the from my inventory every time I want to continue leveling it. This will be fine once I get to 60 I suppose as all three tanks share accessories but right now it really sucks and we should not have to go through all this crap to play the game.
    (0)

Server: BEHEMOTH
    FC: CASCADIA
    Playing since Beta phase 3

Player
    Character
    Violet Flower
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 23
    Apparently paid retainers solve all problems with user data size issues.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Fortuona Paendrag
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 60
    basically, as long as people are willing to pay money for extra inventory, you won't be getting it for free.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Zenaku Yamada
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    i agree with OP why the hell are the raid item not key items? what the point of having this key tap if there not that many key item stuff to start with.
    (1)
    Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together Autographed By "Akihiko Yoshida Tarot Card Sweepstakes Winner

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast