Page 1 of 95 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Renabi Rena
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 70

FFXIV 2nd expansion: Viera-like race still a possibility?

Saw this just now, though it is an old article:

FFXIV Viera Race concept art

While I could see why Au'ra were favored over Viera for this particular expansion since the main storyline is all about the Dragons of Ishgard, who's to say that the idea is completely scrapped right now? It would be awesome to see them introduced as children of either the dense woods of the Black Shroud, or a new forest. Even though they show a male Viera already in the concept art, I would probably take it a step further in differing it from the other races. This can happen one of two ways:
    • You create FFXIV's first "round" character, making them about the height of a Female Au'ra and as burly as a Roegaedyn.
    • Otherwise, you have the character hunch his back to create a more distinct sillhouette. This model would still be "shorter" than the female model
    I feel it would be extremely important to make the males smaller than the females due to the matriarchal society. This would also make the race differ from the status quo of the others which consist of males generally being taller or close enough to where it doesn't matter. In all, this class still feels like it could potentially fit right in to the FFXIV universe (You wouldn't have to make it fit like you did with Au'ra), and is still in pretty high demand amongst players. Even if we don't see them during the next expansion, here's hoping that they'll eventually be released.
    (87)

Player
    Character
    Miles Saintborough
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 70
    Ehhh I rather have something like the Au Ra again, but way more expanded.
    (17)

Character
    Nadirah Serenity
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 60
    No.

We already have "Hume with animal ears" (Miqo'te) and that's why they didn't add them.

Probably won't either.
    (43)

Player
    Character
    Makeda Fyah
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesSaintboroguh View Post
    Ehhh I rather have something like the Au Ra again, but way more expanded.
    Honestly...

What's the difference?

Hyur, Au Ra, Viera, catgirl... They're all pretty much the same.

Give up something actually different. One of the beast tribes, or the goblins. Or something new.
    (55)
    "It's like all my namedays have come at once!"
    Jah Bless. One God, One Aim, and One Destiny - Marcus Garvey.
    Until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned, everywhere is war - Ras Tafari.
    Tank alt: Makeda Fyah, Healer alt: Asante Fyah, DPS alt: Ayeola Fyah

Player
    Character
    Nestama Eynfoetsyn
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 70
    Judging on how Yoshi-P said they were pretty much a Miqo'te with rabbit ears and heels... unlikely. Heck, he didn't even want to show off the Viera concept art :T

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-...n-sense/.91021

A couple months ago, you showed off the new race, the Au Ra… but you also showed concept art of the Viera, who appeared in Final fantasy XII and other games. Why did you decide against their inclusion as a playable race?

The issue with the Viera is that, if you look at them, they're basically humanoid save for their long rabbit ears and their heels. We already have a mostly humanoid race with animal ears in the Mi'qote. When we looked at those initial Viera concepts, it just seemed like a Mi'qote with bunny ears instead of cat ears. It simply wasn't different enough. Especially when we did the male designs… they didn't look beastly enough, they were just a little too cute. We wanted to make something that was original to the Final Fantasy series, and to do that, we decided to step away from the Viera.

I was actually strongly against showing the Viera concept art at the event we unveiled the Au Ra at. I knew that people would be like “why didn't you include them?!” [laughs] We feel we have a good thing with the Au Ra, though. If you don't like them, though, let us know and we'll take it into consideration with the next race we bring in.
    I mean, the same can be said about the female Au Ra, but there's the reason why Viera may never become playable in this game and to be frank, I am glad. Viera would add nothing new to the game (and you can already make a fake Viera with the bunny ears).
    (34)
    Last edited by Nestama; 08-10-2015 at 11:22 AM.

Player
    Character
    Areku Foxfire
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 70
    No thanks. Viera (and bunny themed things in general) are really lame imo. Give us the wolf-like race instead. Or anything that isn't 95% human.
    (43)

Player
    Character
    Makeda Fyah
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestama View Post
    Yoshi-P:
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-...n-sense/.91021
    The issue with the Viera is that, if you look at them, they're basically humanoid save for their long rabbit ears and their heels. We already have a mostly humanoid race with animal ears in the Mi'qote. When we looked at those initial Viera concepts, it just seemed like a Mi'qote with bunny ears instead of cat ears. It simply wasn't different enough. Especially when we did the male designs… they didn't look beastly enough, they were just a little too cute. We wanted to make something that was original to the Final Fantasy series, and to do that, we decided to step away from the Viera.
    I mean, the same can be said about the female Au Ra
    Wildstar had it down when it made the catgirls and bunnygirls the same race. /justsaying.

- Unfortunately that is a two faction MMO, and it has resulted in there only being two of us in the entire MMO that play on the other faction. Me, and some random guy who plays a hamster and posts on the forums...
    (Ok... there's more than two of us. Might even be 3 of us... I'm slightly exaggerating here...)

Kind of like here... Does anyone actually play anything but a catgirl in this game? First game with elves in it I've ever seen where they are actually unpopular...
    (6)
    "It's like all my namedays have come at once!"
    Jah Bless. One God, One Aim, and One Destiny - Marcus Garvey.
    Until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned, everywhere is war - Ras Tafari.
    Tank alt: Makeda Fyah, Healer alt: Asante Fyah, DPS alt: Ayeola Fyah

Player
    Character
    Gunspec Daggerforge
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 70

Viangaa for next race!
    (56)

Player
    Character
    Khalith Mateo
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Makeda View Post
    Does anyone actually play anything but a catgirl in this game? First game with elves in it I've ever seen where they are actually unpopular...
    Elezen 4 lyfe! Represent!

But seriously, this is a japanese game and that attracts a certain element in it's audience. Unsurprisingly it attracts a lot of people that want to play the cat girls and other cute females. Also, the Elezen aren't really like traditional elves, they're not short or delicate or graceful, they're lanky, tall, muscular, and stoic looking. They still have the haughtiness and arrogance you'd expect but they are much more civilized, the elezen seem more European with their behavior and culture than a more "traditional" high elven sort of society.

That fact is what made me love the Elezen in the first place tbh. I played an Elvaan from San D'oria back in the day and loved every part of the culture and the characters, thus I made this character that looks identical to my old FFXI character. When I got to meet the Ishgardians I practically fell in love, they're an even better version of San D'oria and I love every part of the questlines involving them.
    (9)
    Last edited by Khalithar; 08-10-2015 at 11:49 AM.

Character
    Jynx Masamune
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 64
    Stop with the new races and focus on expanding what we currently have please.
    (52)

Page 1 of 95 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast