Player
    Character
    Flo Fyloord
    World
    Famfrit
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Februs View Post
    That's the other way around, in my case. I've actually seen matches (not exaggerating here) where adders have spent the entire match shoving flames off of every node they go for and not bothering to take it for themselves. Instead, they let the mael take them. It was mind blowing to watch. Mael won the match and the other two GC's barely broke 100 points each. I assume the "slaughterhouse" mentality plays into it a bit. A lot of people just go for kills and ignore objectives...
    I've seen my fair share of flames doing the exact same thing to adders, and leaving mael alone. Guess time of day could have an effect as well, or just a revenge-cycle going on.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Echo Sindria
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    I'm on Primal as Flames, and our mentality is: "We're probably not winning this, so if it comes down to it, lets just ruin another GC's day"
    (1)

Character
    Beckard Arseneau
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaiussenpai View Post
    snip
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
    snip
    These are both valid strategies, but what Ferbus is describing, and what I've seen as well, is one GC just throwing themselves at another, for no other reason than to make the third GC win. In one of my matches Adder started camping our landing, ignoring Mael and new tomeliths. They ended the match with less than 50 points. There was no reason for them to do this, except to allow Mael to win. It wasn't a desperate attempt for them to get 2nd, it was only to prevent us from getting 1st.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Echo Sindria
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Beckett View Post
    These are both valid strategies, but what Ferbus is describing, and what I've seen as well, is one GC just throwing themselves at another, for no other reason than to make the third GC win. In one of my matches Adder started camping our landing, ignoring Mael and new tomeliths. They ended the match with less than 50 points. There was no reason for them to do this, except to allow Mael to win. It wasn't a desperate attempt for them to get 2nd, it was only to prevent us from getting 1st.
    Think stuff like that comes from pack mentality. If you have 1 premade who prioritizes spawn camping, assuming the rest of the alliance is under that "I'll follow whatever anyone tells me to" mentality, they'll all go do it too. The match gets thrown, but they at least probably got second place.

And lets be honest, with the way the current Exp loss bonus works, getting 2nd place consecutively is worth more than getting scattered 1st places. The exp for holding that chain going by not getting first adds up to a hell of a lot more overall. 450 Exp per 2nd place, and 300 Exp per 3rd place. As long as you don't get first place, you keep the chain running.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Flo Fyloord
    World
    Famfrit
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 80
    And lets be honest, with the way the current Exp loss bonus works, getting 2nd place consecutively is worth more than getting scattered 1st places. The exp for holding that chain going by not getting first adds up to a hell of a lot more overall. 450 Exp per 2nd place, and 300 Exp per 3rd place. As long as you don't get first place, you keep the chain running.
    I honestly would not mind second place so much....if my goal wasn't an ADS mount. It can get utterly infuriating at times that I'm at the mercy of the third GC deciding whether or not my team can win the game regardless of how well we play, and one of the primary reasons why I hate 3-way objective maps so much.

It usually doesn't come down to us having to take the "ruin a GC's day" option unless we're severely behind due to shoddy node spawns and being the north team
    (1)

Character
    Februs Harrow
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Beckett View Post
    These are both valid strategies, but what Ferbus is describing, and what I've seen as well, is one GC just throwing themselves at another, for no other reason than to make the third GC win.
    That's exactly what I was referring too, and I'm not sure what the bigger mystery is: 1. How the heck does it even happens when cross GC communication is impossible, or 2. how to stop it from completely ruining the match? I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one this has happened to, though. I used to wonder if I was just imagining it, or was somehow cursed by the game gods... jury is still out on that last bit.
    The straw that finally broke the camel's back, leading to me posting this, was one day in particular where it happened in multiple matches, the most notable being a 3 match streak where mael and adders ganked flames relentlessly, and we were at a complete loss for how to deal with it.
    (0)

Character
    Februs Harrow
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Think stuff like that comes from pack mentality.
    I can see this happening more with premade parties. If there's something to be said for Frontlines it's that getting large groups of people to work together is very difficult. That being said, pack mentality definitely has something to do with it. The number one thing that is shouted out in alliance chat is "don't chase," but, inevitably, there is always a group who can't help themselves and forget to follow the objectives.
    It is strange, though, to see a group consistently ignore objectives in favour of crushing a specific GC. Your point makes me wonder if an exp adjustment for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place, or maybe some sort of notable exp bonuses for following the game mode instead of chasing the rabbit, might be a possible solution. It wouldn't put an end to ganks, obviously, but it might deter the Focus Target mentality that both I and Beckett have seen in matches.
    (0)

Character
    Februs Harrow
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by RiceisNice View Post
    I honestly would not mind second place so much....if my goal wasn't an ADS mount.
    Problems like this make the ADS mount a distant dream when playing Frontlines. Wolves den is probably the best way to go about it, but exp bonuses are lower in there. So, unless you're already level capped, there's a still a downside.
    I'm of the same mind as you. I've never seen my alliance openly state that they want to screw another GC for the sake of guaranteeing themselves 2nd place. The only time they're not interested in first is if we get that short bus special group who can't seem to wrap their minds around objective based game play, or if we ourselves have been screwed over by a gank or poor RNG for node spawns.
    PVP specific goals (mounts or lvl restricted gear) are one of the reasons I have found the gank spank to be a problem.
    (0)

Character
    Buff Archer
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 60
    I'm on Primal as Flames, and our mentality is: "We're probably not winning this, so if it comes down to it, lets just ruin another GC's day"
    It would probably be a good idea to always target Maelstrom just to be consistent. And then when you get in a situation where it's Flames and Maesltrom neck & neck, and Adders far behind, Adders would be more likely to focus Maelstrom and help Flames win.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Echo Sindria
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Februs View Post
    I can see this happening more with premade parties. If there's something to be said for Frontlines it's that getting large groups of people to work together is very difficult. That being said, pack mentality definitely has something to do with it. The number one thing that is shouted out in alliance chat is "don't chase," but, inevitably, there is always a group who can't help themselves and forget to follow the objectives.
    It is strange, though, to see a group consistently ignore objectives in favour of crushing a specific GC. Your point makes me wonder if an exp adjustment for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place, or maybe some sort of notable exp bonuses for following the game mode instead of chasing the rabbit, might be a possible solution. It wouldn't put an end to ganks, obviously, but it might deter the Focus Target mentality that both I and Beckett have seen in matches.
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...ve-Match-Bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff_Archer View Post
    It would probably be a good idea to always target Maelstrom just to be consistent. And then when you get in a situation where it's Flames and Maesltrom neck & neck, and Adders far behind, Adders would be more likely to focus Maelstrom and help Flames win.
    It's usually adder they wind up targeting. Flames just have a weird dislike for adder for some reason.
    (1)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast