Character
    Semyaza Rusalka
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50

Windows 10 - Black game screen

I just upgraded to windows 10,
    the first login onto XIV was fine, but after restarting, my launcher turned black.
    Fixed that after some research with resetting the IE settings (though I never touched them before).
    But now the game screen is all black. I can hear the music, I can even log in by "feeling" my way around, but it's staying black the whole time ._.

Can anyone help? @.@
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Anarista Tarnyang
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 70
    Did you upgrade your graphic cards to Windows 10 as well? It sounds like a GPU issue.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Semyaza Rusalka
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Oh, thanks! You're probably right, my NVIDIA thingy won't let me install the newest version, says it's not compatible with my windows version ._______________.!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Delsus Highwind
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by selaiah View Post
    Oh, thanks! You're probably right, my NVIDIA thingy won't let me install the newest version, says it's not compatible with my windows version ._______________.!
    Go to the Nvidia website, download the Windows 10 driver from there after that (install everything) Geforce Experience should say there's a newer driver available, that's how it went on my laptop anyway.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Eldon Pierce
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 60
    Strange. Shouldn't Win 10 automatically update the drivers when it installs?

It work like that for me and my R9 270 card.

Catalyst says I have the latest version and I didn't do a thing.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Semyaza Rusalka
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Delsus View Post
    Go to the Nvidia website, download the Windows 10 driver from there after that (install everything) Geforce Experience should say there's a newer driver available, that's how it went on my laptop anyway.
    Thank you so much, I did that, updated my driver, but it didn't fix my issue with the game. Still the same with the black screen. What else could it be? D;
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Deviant One
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop81 View Post
    That is a bit out of scope for an OS install. A lot of drivers have software packages and other dependencies which is why a post OS upgrade still requires manual driver upgrades.

Some companies like AMD or Nvidia will provide a whql approved version (aka safe driver) to Microsoft for use in the Windows Update portion, and those can be installed during the upgrade. While this will get most functionality, and will work, its not same as going to your card manufacture's site and getting their driver. There can be special adjustments to fan profiles or other parts of the card other then the GPU chipsets.

In general, it is always better to get your drivers (in order)
    1. Device maker, such as EVGA.com
    2. Chipset maker, Nvidia.com or AMD.com
    3. Windows Update
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Jin Ral
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 53
    Quicknote.

Important drivers... well all drivers should always be installed from manufacturer driver pool. Their webpages show always latest versions. Never trust drivers you get through installing Windows or from Windows Update, those are outdated in most cases or creating unneeded conflicts with the official ones
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Final Spark
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by selaiah View Post
    Thank you so much, I did that, updated my driver, but it didn't fix my issue with the game. Still the same with the black screen. What else could it be? D;

I had that issue on the first time I upgraded. Just keep restarting your PC.
    That's what I had to do to fix 99% of the problems that came within upgrading xD
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Doctor Pepper
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop81 View Post

It work like that for me and my R9 270 card.

Catalyst says I have the latest version and I didn't do a thing.
    Odds are Windows Update handled it for you, that's what installed the drivers for me. You can't select/view optional updates anymore, they just get installed automatically. I completely updated with Windows Update and when I installed Geforce Experience it said the latest driver was already installed.

I did a clean install so there was no old drivers on my system. If you did the same thing and the OP just did an Upgrade then maybe that's the difference but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Jin- View Post
    Quicknote.

Important drivers... well all drivers should always be installed from manufacturer driver pool. Their webpages show always latest versions. Never trust drivers you get through installing Windows or from Windows Update, those are outdated in most cases or creating unneeded conflicts with the official ones
    Windows Update installed the latest official (non-beta) driver available on the Geforce website for me so maybe they're more on top of their game with W10 than they were with 7/8.1. Also, like I mentioned, there wasn't any option to choose whether it was installed or not anymore, it just installed it automatically.
    (0)
    Last edited by DoctorPepper; 08-01-2015 at 01:25 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast