Player
    Character
    Mahayana Atman
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 60

[Dev11232] Why is there still a cap?

[dev1132] Several adjustments have been made to overall experience point rewards and the current party bonus algorithm.
    The following are used to calculate experience point rewards:

Level-based EXP

The general rule for calculating experience point awards is to divide the amount of experience needed to level up by the number of encounters the current level* is intended to last. The amount of EXP yielded increases proportional to character level.
    * The level used in this calculation is either the player's or the enemy's, whichever is
    lower.

Difference Between Player and Enemy Levels

Higher level enemies will yield more EXP, while lower level enemies will yield less. This revision will not greatly affect the amount of EXP obtainable. However, a cap will be imposed upon the bonus awarded to players for defeating higher level enemies.

Party Size

Each additional member in the party reduces the amount of experience points yielded. Although the reduction is greater than before, it will be offset by the bonuses granted by EXP chains and linking.

Enemy Type

As the variance in strength between enemies has been reduced (see below), enemy type will not influence EXP yield.
    * The exception to the above is those enemies deemed extremely weak or strong.

Link Bonus (see below)

Experience point bonuses are now rewarded for defeating enemies which appear together with the initial target.

EXP Chain (see below)

Defeating enemies in quick succession will now earn players experience point bonuses.
    Guardian's Aspect
    Invoking Guardian's Aspect when activating a levequest will grant players an experience point bonus upon quest completion.
    Gear
    There are several pieces of low-level gear which grant their wearers experience point bonuses.
    I didn't wana bump my old topic about the exp cap. While this is a GREAT direction they're going, their wording makes to sound like the cap is still gonna be too strong for players to see leveling on big mobs as a viable option especially with the oncoming exp chains which are idiotic to place in the game because this will only further entice people to kill raptors for hours on in.

I think the cap should just be completely lifted and the exp should be equated by the average levels in the group and if someone is well beyond the average, then the exp is strongly penalized.

Fix normal skilling parties before introducing heavily strategic events like ifrit and batraal
    (5)
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy_Dragoon View Post
    Perhaps SE needs to release a Solo Online Role Playing Game in the future as many people seem to enjoy playing an MMO this way.

Player
    Character
    Yuki Ynagi
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    The two things aren't related.
    Btw we should see how this cap is hight before making a complain
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Meowy Wowie
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 70
    I'm more concerned about the 10 second chain 5+ time limit to be honest. I thought they were moving in the direction of longer fights that require strategy. 10 seconds between kills is incredibly fast and currently impossible for the most part (this could change due to enemy placement and respawn timer adjustments in 1.19). Still, 10 seconds is ridiculous.

They mentioned that soloing an enemy of equal level should take about 45 seconds for an average player and ~30 seconds for a skilled player. It would only make sense that the same should be true for an 8 man party killing mobs ~10 levels above their average level, but clearly this isn't the case.

Regardless, I think we're basically interested in the same thing, just looking at it from different angles, higher rewards in accordance with the amount of skill involved.

PS: All, or at least most mobs will reward the same SP after the patch, so I doubt Raptors will be the only feasible mobs to grind on.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Kanikou Escaflowne
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    One word:

Balance.

Caps are in place in every MMO to date -- some are higher than others, some MMOs take 10s of millions of exp per next level, thus those caps are higher.

I'm more concerned about the 10 second chain 5+ time limit to be honest.
    If you've played FFXI before and ever done Merit parties back in the day you'll know this 10 seconds isn't as short as it may seem initially. Basically chain 4 is well enough because if there's enough mobs you'll chain endlessly, usually chain 5+ is when your party has a momentum going and you just begin plowing through enemies.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Meowy Wowie
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennestia View Post
    If you've played FFXI before and ever done Merit parties back in the day you'll know this 10 seconds isn't as short as it may seem initially. Basically chain 4 is well enough because if there's enough mobs you'll chain endlessly, usually chain 5+ is when your party has a momentum going and you just begin plowing through enemies.
    Even FFXI's limit for chain 5+ was longer than 10 seconds (30 seconds I believe?).

Edit: I'm assuming you mean Colibri parties, not really back in the day but still a thing of the past. Anyways, even colibri kills averaged about 20 seconds each in a good party, the only time I've seen consistent 10 second or faster kills was with K club rangers.
    (0)
    Last edited by MeowyWowie; 10-02-2011 at 07:48 AM.

Player
    Character
    Firon Veleth
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    This game combat is much faster tho you can kill 10x the mobs in this game unlike xi
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Captain Lalafist
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 82
    60 seconds at lvl75.

Different game tho

I bet they'll be a bit more closer together in the future perhaps. Needs some monster hp adjustments for that.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Meowy Wowie
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 70
    Ya, but weren't people complaining how fast mobs die in XIV? Even XI meripo PTs killed the enjoyment for many players.

I thought SE was taking XIV in the direction of old school skillchain parties like we had before AU released. Fights that took coordination, required debuffs, strategies (no matter how simple they were). Anything is better than the spam we're seeing now IMO, and I thought our playerbase agreed on this as well.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Firon Veleth
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    I don't remember them saying they were slowing down the fights
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Captain Lalafist
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 82
    Quote Originally Posted by MeowyWowie View Post
    I thought SE was taking XIV in the direction of old school skillchain parties like we had before AU released. Fights that took coordination, required debuffs, strategies (no matter how simple they were). Anything is better than the spam we're seeing now IMO, and I thought our playerbase agreed on this as well.
    I liked keeping the chain going more than beating a crab for five minutes, sorry.

That wasn't exactly easy to pull off either. Coordination was required, debuffs too unless your party was totally OP. It wasn't brainless and if you losed focus the chain was lost.

I hope that comes back. Mamool Ja are awesome.
    (0)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast