1.0 Introduction Monk 3.0 chakra unleashed
2.0 Monk skill changes
3.0 Monk new skills
4.1 3.07patch openers
6.0 Stat weights + accuracy cap
7.0 Tips and Tricks in encounters
8.0 Closing statements
Monk 3.0 CHAKRA UNLEASHED
While I don't claim to be the most expert in regards to monk (I don't do theorycrafting) I want give my 2 cents in regards to the job. I have mained monk since
before final coil release I was playing it on the side during second coil as well. This guide will cover things from 3.0 onwards and will not be covering the basics
of monk. I would assume you know the basic rotation as well. There is another thread for that. However, if there is enough request I will cover the basics and
This guide will talk about changes in monk's skill and mainly about boss encounters tips and tricks. If you have anything you do that's helpful and not mentioned
here, PLEASE let me know and I will add it here and give you credit.
Monk 3.0 skill changes
Shoulder tackle - while in 2.x you required to be at least 10 yalms away to initiate the skill in 3.0 you can use it even up close.
Demolish - received a small buff duration. It now lasts 21secs compared to the 18secs. A small buff nontheless. However, Grease lightning applies straight after you
use demolish (so during the start of the animation). In 2.x GL only applies AFTER the animation. This can be seen as a nerf since basically you would lose 2 secs of
your GL due to the animation lock.
Grease lightning - had an increase in duration to 14 seconds and increased it % damage buff.
Demolish - received a potency buff from 40 to 50 per tick
Howling Fist - received a potency buff from 170 to 210
Monk 3.0 NEW SKILLS
Form shift - one of the best things to happen to monks. This skill allows you to go to the "next" form while using 1 gcd. I.E - start with no form. Use Form shift.
Enter Opo Opo form. Use Form shift again. Enter Raptor form. etc.
Meditation/Forbidden Chakra - Meditation uses 1 GCD per click and uses a stacking system. 5 stack = unlocks forbidden chakra. A strong Ogcd skill with a potency of
Elixir Field - 220 potency AOE attack around you.
Purification - restores 300 TP. needs 5 stack of meditation to use.
Tornado Kick - 330 potency but you use all 3 GL stack.
Pros NEW SKILL
Form shift - definitely a lot of pros with this new skill. You can use it during down times on bosses you can save your gl3 by going to coeurl form and initiate
demolish or snap punch on boss when it becomes targetable or at start of battles to initiate demolish and gain 1 stack of GL straight away.
Meditation/Forbidden chakra - Like form shift you can start using meditation during down times, forbidden chakra has a good potency so make sure you stack meditation
when you can.
Elixir Field - Monk's best AOE skill every 30secs. No need to say anything.
Purification - restores 300 tp. Basically use during TP starving stages.
Tornado kick - Use during times when you know boss will be untargetable in a few secs. Good dps increase.
Cons of NEW SKILL
Form shift - requires gcd for each use and have to rotate from 1st -> 3rd form so if you make a mistake BYE BYE GL.
Meditation/Forbidden Chakra - requires 5 stack which you normally wont have enough time to stack on normal occassions. On certain encounters you will be using this a
Elixir Field - no cons. In fact, this skill is OP
Purification - like FC. You need 5 stack of meditation and reserve this on special encounters.
Tornado Kick - you lose ALL your GL stack… c'mon its GG when you lose all your GL. Sadly this skill is on very special occassions only.
Monk 3.0 has few changes in opener from 2.x
Since demolish has been changed it is now impossible to do the old opener unless we get more skill speed. GL being applied at the initial hit of demolish loses 2secs
of GL due to the animation lock. I've experimented on different rotations and in essence I actually made the same rotation with the people in the official forums.
PS: below is old opener for early 3.0. It is still not a bad opener but changes to GL has made it a little irrelevant.
stack 5 meditation
Form shift to coeurl form-> shoulder tackle -> demolish -> perfect balance -> snap punch -> blood for blood -> snap punch -> internal release -> dragon kick -> steel
peak -> twin snakes -> howling fist -> snap punch -> (perfect balance drops here) elixir field -> touch of death -> Forbidden chakra -> boot shine -> true strike ->
demolish -> Fracture OR Dragon kick (Blood for blood drops) -> continue with normal rotation.
Patch 3.07 openers
Update 29/8: Since GL duration has increased, it is again possible to go back to the old 2.x opener. While the 3.0 opener can still be used, maximising our
dps opener is our main goal. Here, we will discuss some of the good openers that has been suggested.
PS: If you are not using pots just remove the XPOT and follow on with the next ogcd. I am personally using Ossom's opener at the moment until we get more consensus on
the best opener.
Fracture is debatable at the moment, during my tests theres very small difference in dps increase/loss can't really tell but I do notice a drop in dps as I try
to keep reapplying fracture.(Probably the best time I find to reapply fracture is when demolish is about 4-5secs left and gl is still about 7secs this should line up
quite nicely on the rotation). While it has a special place in our rotation during those times when boss jumps etc. at this point I can't really say its good to keep
reapplying it. If you find it really good then by all means use it and prove me wrong since I really want to keep using fracture in our rotation.
Update 21/7: About Fracture
So I did some testing on fracture and where we can fit it in our rotation and someone in the forums has mentioned a good way of knowing when to use fracture.
The only thing I will add to this is, the priority system of your DoTs/buffs. DK>TS>Demo>ToD>Fracture. As mentioned by a few forumers it is not currently possible to
apply fracture 100% of the time. The easier way I find when to apply fracture is this. APPLY IT DURING YOUR DK+TS rotation, this ensures that after applying DK+TS
these skills won't fall off later in your rotation.
I'll show you an example of the rotation. For argument's sake you will be in GL3.
537 ss= 2.06 secs gcd
DK + TS + DEMO + ToD
BS + TrS + SP
DK + TS + SP + Fracture
BS + TrS + DEMO
DK + TS + SP + ToD
BS + TrS + SP
DK + TrS + DEMO + Fracture
Notice that you will only apply ToD or fracture every time after DK rotation, of course in a real fight this will not always be the case. So the priority system must
be applied. Also note that fracture will not be 100% on all the time but ToD will be.
NOTE: During real fights try to apply Hakmatic's rules as well. Does DEMO have 4-5secs + ToD 10+secs left?
If that confuses the hell out of you Zamii also posted this.
Thanks to Dervy for the stat weights.
Update 18/3: Copied ariyala's stat weights in.
Tips and Tricks in encounters
1. Remember to use form shifts during down times and change to coeurl form then start stacking meditation.
2. During the dps check when you are about to get the debuff you can push your last hit before it changes and then use form shift to wait for the next debuff.
3. During dragon chain stack up meditation and go to coeurl form. Make sure you have forbidden chakra to use on Bismarck.
4. Dont worry about purification in this fight you won't need it.
1. Remember to use form shifts during down times and change to coeurl form then start stacking meditation.
2. When he casts prelude to liberation keep dpsing until the bar hits the E in liberation that is your que to move out or he will hit you. Remember to use Tornado
Kick as well as you won't be able to save your GL no matter how hard you try when he jumps.
3. Use tornado kicks when Ravana is about to finish casting his liberations. Make sure to give yourself a few secs grace as tornado kick hit has a delay.
4. If your the only melee dps make sure to LB3 during his attack form (pretty much when he uses any of his liberation skills :P).
Alexander Floor 1 HM
standard dummy fight you should be parsing same as dummy parse.
When a 2nd boss drops you can either stay or go to the other one depending on your group.
1. Shoulder tackle adds to get initial hate. Dont worry you should be able to solo 1 of them and wont die. Make sure you take them where the line/s are so it would
minimize raid damage.
2. Update 21/7: Once the big missiles turn small and disappears this is pretty much indication to use 1gcd + TK + another gcd. TK is used early due to the damage
3. Remember to use form shifts during down times and change to coeurl form then start stacking meditation.
Alexander Floor 2 HM
1. Depending on party composition you may or may not want to save meditation stacks for purification.
2. You can AOE if tanks stack mobs and you know you will get a TP song or goad later.
3. There is not much down time here and if there is, there is about 1-2 sec downtime so I suggest using meditation during these times as you wont be needing to use
form shifts at all since mobs will spawn straight away.
4. Use invigorate as soon as appropriate.
Alexander Floor 3 HM
1. When boss turns into hand make sure you have shoulder tackle up since he would use Wash Away and push everyone back. If your tank is smart they can either use
holmgang or Tempered Will to avoid the knockback (I don't know if DRK has a skill that prevents push).
2. Update 6/9: Before the boss changes from human->hand he will use his raid wide aoes for the 2nd time during the 1st phase. This is the indication to either use TK or use SP depending where you are in your combo you can save your gl or not. (With the current update to GL im not sure if you can save gl if you are stuck in coeurl form whilst he is changing form, in the past it is not possible) Also make sure you form shift to coeurl while he is changing forms and charge chakra.
3. When boss is about to change form from 2 hands to typhoon use Tornado Kick as whatever you do here you will lose GL since the transformation takes ages and you
have to wait for adds to pop too. I will update this as soon as I'm confident with the timings.
Update 14/7: If OT provokes other hand quite fast. You can check how much debuff both tanks will get. On the 7th debuff (blunt resistance down) use TK, this is the
indication they will go to next transformation and you will lose GL regardless.
3. Can't say this enough, use elixir field on both hands if you can. Also use elixir on adds if they are near each other you can hit both of them this will increase
your dps output
Alexander Floor 4 HM
1. Not much downtime here. Save shoulder tackle in phase 2 after you killed 1 of the legs. You can solo 1 of the adds without any problems.
2. If you get sucked in. Pray to god you can save your gl stack. Some days you will, some you won't.
3. As a monk I don't really try to get the orbs since this is a dps loss and thats what OT and range are for. If you really have to make sure you save shoulder
tackle for after you take 1 ball. Otherwise stay on the boss.
Update: I forgot to mention if you really need to get orbs and there are still 2 legs you can hit 1 of the other legs so you don't lose gl
4. Snipers - If your group requires you to take 1 of the hit make sure you form shift/meditate during the wait.
5. If you are pro enough. Go between the both legs during p1 and use elixir field, you should be able to damage both legs at the same time.
Update 14/7: 6. Everytime 1 leg dies, you will be able to hit the main body for a certain amount of time before it uses wide raid AOE, it takes about 7 or 8 gcds (I
recommend just 7 needs more testing and will change depending on your SS and situation) before it becomes untargetable. If you can refresh your GL just before it
becomes untargetable, you will be able to save your gl for the next phase via form shift. If you know you can't refresh gl ahead of time its best to use TK since you
won't be able to refresh GL due to the long animation. (I haven't counted down how long it is but I noticed even if I'm on raptor form then shift to coeurl I still
can't save my gl)
Update 23/08: Alexander Floor 1 SAVAGE
1. During add phase, pick up your add. You can keep dpsing the boss until resin bomb + lasers then take your add to your assigned location then concentrate on your
add. you should have no problem killing your add at all. ( you can also save your AOE skills during add phase to hit boss and your add at the same time ).
Note: If you have a regular static it may be wise to talk to the tank where he is placing his resin bomb. Both of you can stack together to avoid spreading more
puddles + you can keep dpsing boss as well.
2. TK timing: after the bombs drop, the boss will do a set of moves LASER->RAID AOE->FRONTAL CLEAVE. After the frontal cleave, do 1 gcd skill then use TK and you can
sneak in another gcd skill. Reason I use TK in the middle is I still not 100% sure if TK hits if the animation happens but damage number doesn't appear.
3. During jump phase. You can stack 5 meditation stacks and use purification and stack another 5 afterwards. Very helpful after 1st jump since you will be low in TP
at that point but other times you can just do it for the lols.
Update 29/2/16: Alex Floor 3 SAVAGE
2. Charge up chakras during phase changes. Form shift if necessary to maintain GL. note: you cannot save gl from p2->p3 of the fight
3. Save shoulder tackle for the knockback skill. (Just make sure you dont get any digititis debuff that you are not meant to get )
4. Use Elixir Field on 2 hand phase. You can also use demolish + ToD on both hands, however you may not want to do this if your group is struggling with dps as dps check is pretty tight.
5. During add phase make sure you have a stun skill to stun the big add while its casting its skill.
Monks are still considered to be top 1-3 dps in the game. Depending on player skill you can reach the top all the time. Dragoon and Ninja have surprisingly battled
their way to the top. Hopefully Monks will get QoL changes in some skills and ensure that Monks stay at the top of the dps chain.
I will update this as I go along and find new tricks to make sure our dps stays strong but until then laters~
P.S. If you want to contribute anything at all and know of things I have not mentioned please PM me in game or reply in this thread. Also in regards to gearing I
won't say anything at the moment since we don't have much of a choice in that regard yet.
Updated 13/7/15: alex floor 4 hm. Fracture timings added. Please re-read if you havn't already.
Update 14/7: alex floor 3 and 4 TK timings.
Update 16/7: alex floor 1 TK timings/saving gl.
Update 21/7: Fracture in rotation. Alex F1 (currently not possible to save gl since downtime too long. Please if you can save gl here let me know, I tried applying
demo/sp just before boss jump but still lose GL)
Update 8/8: Stat weights + accuracy cap
Update 23/8: alex floor 1 SAVAGE
Update 29/8: accuracy cap. Added new openers.
Update 2/9: Changes in monk skill added gl buff from recent update. Table of contents added.
Update 6/9: Added tip for alex floor 3 norm.
Update 7/9: Added tip for alex floor 3 savage.
Update 28/11: Updated stat weights.
Update 26/2/16: Updated monk skill buffs Howling fist + demolish
Update 29/2/16: Updated A3S tips and tricks
Update 19/3/16: stat weights updated