Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Arrietti Munition
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90

Class Hunting Logs are inefficient EXP gains. Amongst other issues..

After seeing the recent response from SE earlier that said they would be fixing the EXP/difficulty of FATEs, I decided I'm going to take a shot at some of the other EXP income sources that aren't pulling their wait... first up; Hunting Logs!

Simply put, they are not worth doing if you are looking for experience. This becomes more obvious when you get past the 1st/2nd rank, and the accumulated experience for traveling around the world to kill various mobs nets you less than half of a single level by the time you are able to successfully down all of the listed monsters.

It is then amplified much worse when you consider how easy it is post-30 to grind FATEs in Coerthas/N.Than and get insanely higher amounts of exp. (1-2 FATEs is worth more than that entire rank in the hunting log!). This is in part due to the wonderful 100% armory bonus as well.

-----------

The hunting log was designed to familiarize the player with the various maps and give them something to do that was more interesting/rewarding than side quests. It is fulfilling neither of these roles right now, because people have no need of doing them as a result of poor rewards.

Furthermore, the new jobs don't even have a hunting log. Pretty much a big sign that the governing body has said "What are hunting logs? Who even does those?..."

We are just a few weeks into a new expansion, where one of the largest complaints is the lack of EXP from new content. Another large complaint is that new people are trying to complete old content and catch up with us storywise, but are running into EXP wastelands between MSQ between 1-50 (I know the 46-49 MSQ storyline gap is a bit taxing if you don't grind N. Than for an hour or so).

What is my proposal for a fix? Simple. Add hunting logs to the new jobs for levels 30-60. Add hunting logs for the old jobs from 50-60. Scale the EXP for the hunting logs from 1-50 in such a way that for each successful rank completed, the player will get anywhere from 2-3 levels. Scale the EXP for 50-60 in such a way that successful completion will grant 2 million experience flat.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Helfric Greywolfe
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    I have to agree I just hit 45 last night and haven't even finished the level 10 section because the time invested vs reward just isn't worth it
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kaja Vesh
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 57
    I think people are not grasping the concept that they don't want this to be another " from 1 to cap in a week" game.

Hunt logs are fine for filler exp, it's all they were ever intended to be.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Arrietti Munition
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Havenae View Post
    I think people are not grasping the concept that they don't want this to be another " from 1 to cap in a week" game.

Hunt logs are fine for filler exp, it's all they were ever intended to be.
    Except they are not fine for filler exp. There is literally no reason to choose hunting logs over other forms of experience gain if thats what the player wants to do. FATEs, dungeons, roulettes, challenge logs - all of these things are worth exponentially more exp. Some of them are also significantly easier to do than hunting logs (which can be tedious).
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Haruko Tetsuya
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 58
    The idea of "Hunting Log" is that you complete while traveling from one quest to another. The first 2 ranks monsters they ask the same path of the quest of each class; rank 3+ ask you to more distant mobs, but I think the game will not require anything where you have not gone before.

The idea is not to hunt directly, but must make the journey to explore a little (not require a lot) and meet more monsters. I think the game needs no reward a bunch of exp by every step you take, if you're interested only in exp there are other ways, but this is not for that.

You want Exp, make FATE's; but if you want to explore the world, make hunting log

Sorry for my english :P
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Winter Sandman
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 70
    Hunting Log Exp is fine. It was amazing filler EXP and you could complete a log level in 30 mins to an hour. I used it for exp on all the classes.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Aedan Glassthorn
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    Class hunting logs are for classes, not jobs - hence the new jobs wouldn't have class hunting logs, since they don't have base classes. Also, if you do the marks at or close to level appropriate, you'll notice it's a decent chunk of XP at lower levels, though it might not scale as well post 45. These were also implemented in the days prior to the duty roulettes so the rewards might pale in comparison to those, but hey - any bit helps.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Goffard Gaffgarion
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 73
    It's all about da achievement

No DRK/AST/MCH achievement

Sadness
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Arrietti Munition
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    I think there are people here responding about how good hunting log exp is and they haven't actually used it in a long time. As the state of the game is CURRENTLY - there is no reason to do hunting logs. They are not good EXP, they are not "noticeable chunks" anymore. A singular FATE in N.Than that takes 2 minutes to complete is worth more accumulated EXP than the entirety of the Rank 4 hunting log - and takes about 1/80th the time to do.

Hunting logs were relevant *slightly* for the FIRST class you get to cap, even then this was before the updated Armory Bonus. The time/money it takes, even with teleporting and mounting everywhere, is simply not worth it. Even for world exploration, the way MSQ pre-50 works now, the idea should be to do MSQ exclusively and ignore things that are "time traps" like hunting logs.

I think those of you whom are claiming it to be a good source of EXP, should start on that low level job you have, and make a real/up-to-date comparison between hunting log EXP now and all other forms of EXP (outside of Combo Bonus Grinding which is just pitiful on its own). You'll see that Hunting Logs are a waste of time and resources.

Also, to those of you saying; "They were for CLASSES not jobs!" - really? You did your rank 4 and 5 as an ARC/MRD/GLA and not as BRD/WAR/PLD? No, you didn't. You did them as a job as soon as it was possible. Oh by the way, Traits and pre-30 skills are also "for classes" yet they managed to fit them all into the new Jobs didn't they?

There is no point at the current state of the game to prolong the amount of time it takes to get to 50. The MSQ is still the threshold that needs to be passed for first-time 50's. After that is complete there is no reason to make leveling take significantly longer or neuter EXP income sources just because it used to have value. It does not anymore, and should be updated to be relevant. We don't need more outdated systems that get left in the dirt.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Cassandaria Belle
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by LoreChief View Post
    Also, to those of you saying; "They were for CLASSES not jobs!" - really? You did your rank 4 and 5 as an ARC/MRD/GLA and not as BRD/WAR/PLD? No, you didn't. You did them as a job as soon as it was possible. Oh by the way, Traits and pre-30 skills are also "for classes" yet they managed to fit them all into the new Jobs didn't they?
    Actually, I did all of my hunting logs as my classes, not my jobs. There was no reason to push to the job when I wanted the extra challenge. In addition, the hunting logs are for small chunks of exp while you wait or while you explore. You are waiting for a dungeon pop, hit up a few log mobs, exp while you wait. It's not likely to level you, but it still makes a difference.
    It was designed so that there is more than one way to level based on how you play, you want to grind to level by doing leveling parties with mobs? you CAN do it, it's not efficient, but you can. You want to quest grind, you can do that too! You want to run dungeons? That's there too! The exp system is fine for what it is, you can't look at any of these as a replacement for the other, they are another layer to enjoy, or not, all based on how you play the game.
    (3)
    If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast