Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Forra Descren
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 70

BUT I WANT IT TO SPIN (Some HW spoilers)

This is starting to drive me bonkers, now.

Why do the ceruleum drive wheels on airships not rotate any more? Back during v1.x, all the bronco-type airships (the ones running between cities) had a rotating wheel underneath their prow. That wheel is still there, but ever since v2.0 it's been absolutely static.

Until now I'd accepted this - it was even a nice surprise to discover that the drive wheel on the Dezul Qualan did spin when its engine was started.

But now we're into 3.0, and not only do the ferry airships' drive wheels still not rotate, the same is true of the special airships as well! Neither the exposed drive wheel on the Enterprise nor on the Soleil rotate no matter how hard their engines are working. Again, I was sad to discover this, but I suppose I wasn't hugely surprised..

And then we see the Agrius MkII (for want of being able to find its actual name) .. and NOTHING IS SPINNING ON THAT EITHER. At that point it's a glaring issue because the framing of the shot shows some of the many drive wheels on its spine and they're all obviously, glaringly static. It no longer seems like a simple omission so much as something being genuinely wrong emphasised by the camera work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDSnzcaLaZg&t=4m43s - For reference's sake, this is the moment in the v1.0 intro when we first see the Agrius. Note the large number of these wheels on its spine, all moving, not to mention all the ceruleum drive wheels busily spinning and billowing blue exhaust on the various Garlean dreadnaughts and cruisers even before the Agrius appears.

I realise this is a petty complaint.. but isn't it equally easily fixed? If nothing else I would really like to know why it was decided that these wheels ought be static from v2.0 onwards. Not only does it just look weird and ugly, personally I thought the slowly rotating, blue-smoke-leaking wheels a cool signature element of Garlean/ceruleum technology.

Addition: Making the issue all the stranger, this issue isn't true of magitech enemies like the Magitech Vanguards/Vangobs. These machine do have exposed, rotating drive wheels that actually change the way they moved based on what the enemy is doing. Even more odd, unlike airships these models appear regularly during gameplay, where the game generally exerts far more computational stress under much less controlled conditions - which rather muddles the 'it's to reduce the rendering demand' argument.
    (11)
    Last edited by Fensfield; 07-06-2015 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Added note about non-airship machina with these wheels
    Roleplay Profile: http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=961&pid=15275#pid15275

Player
    Character
    Dank Evol
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 60
    Whys this an issue? You'd probably be closer to having this somehow changed if you stated why's it an issue and how anyone can possibly benefit from this aside from it breaking your "immersion"
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Gilraen Bior
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 70
    It was probably a move to cut down on the complexity of the airship models, as a kindness to average PC and console players. It wasn't really something that made too much sense to me, wheels on airships that served no apparent purpose beyond, "Look, a wheel with little flames shooting out!"
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Forra Descren
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by dank1 View Post
    Whys this an issue? You'd probably be closer to having this somehow changed if you stated why's it an issue and how anyone can possibly benefit from this aside from it breaking your "immersion"
    Aaand the first reply's an attack for daring to voice my wondering why something was omitted - yay!

See that part where I said I know it's petty, but just as easily fixed? Or the part where I said it seemed ugly (and the implicit suggestion that, if remedied, it'd benefit people by not being so), and I just wanted to know why if it couldn't be fixed?

Or the tongue-in-cheek title intended to suggest this wasn't the most earth-shattering of issues?

Or the part where I said how it broke my "immersiOH WAIT I DIDN'T.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilraen View Post
    It was probably a move to cut down on the complexity of the airship models, as a kindness to average PC and console players. It wasn't really something that made too much sense to me, wheels on airships that served no apparent purpose beyond, "Look, a wheel with little flames shooting out!"
    I admit this is the logic that I came to and all, but nonetheless it seemed sad .. and by the same token well.. it's a wheel. And it's totally static. On the bronco-types where it's partially covered that's easy enough to glance over but on the Agrius model they're huge and all over the place.

Now I admit dropping the flames was definitely understandable, but.. still. And why the exception for the Dezul Qualan? That cutscene was by far and away more graphically challenging than the brief, simple airship-ride scenes. It'd be lovely if they fixed/reinstated it but to be honest at this point I'd just like to know the reasoning.

As for 'wheels on airships that served no purpose', look back at 19th century technology which Garlemald's aesthetic draws heavily from - traction engines for instance. A lot of their workings were exposed including the main wheel that ran the drive from the engine to the wheels - or in the case of airships, the propulsion arms/propellers.
    (11)
    Last edited by Fensfield; 07-06-2015 at 05:44 PM.
    Roleplay Profile: http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=961&pid=15275#pid15275

Player
    Character
    N'rhuna Veraan
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Monk Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by dank1 View Post
    Believe it or not, some people who aren't mindless dudebros who just wanna be "strong" or edgy care about such things.
    (14)

Player
    Character
    Blackmage Vivi
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by RyuRoots View Post
    Believe it or not, some people who aren't mindless dudebros who just wanna be "strong" or edgy care about such things.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEQtcUDNLPs
    (0)

Character
    Stygia Ashenscale
    World
    Lich
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 60
    Wait wait wait wait!!! In that Trailer...you can see how the Primae are unsealed...what the....*completely irritated*
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Puchichi Puchi
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60
    PS3 limitations.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Forra Descren
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Miitan View Post
    PS3 limitations.
    Once agaaaaiiin - That kinda was my assumption, but..

1 - This is an area in which they have regularly chosen to make the platform clients differ.

2 - The few instances where we do see the drive wheels rotate are generally much more demanding than the ones where they don't.

3 - (Add') What about the far more proliferate, wheel-exhibiting Vanguards/Vangobs that appear in far less controlled/more demanding conditions (IE: normal gameplay)?
    (0)
    Last edited by Fensfield; 07-06-2015 at 05:19 PM.

Player
    Character
    Khaela Alteri
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilraen View Post
    Everyone knows an airship can't fly if you don't keep it's glossier rings rotating.
    (1)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast