Player
    Character
    Drako Lombardi
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by alibutterfly View Post
    I also have a GTX 970 and have been crashing in DX11. I was excited to try it out in DX11 as soon as early access was available, but within several hours of playing, my screen went totally black but the sound continued
    This particular issue looks more like the GFX card itself crashing, or the video driver crashing. I wonder what kind of heat its putting out, do you have a temp monitor on that thing. It would be nice to know what its sitting at while in the game. I know sometimes if a game crashed my video driver, esp at full screen, sometimes I have to do a CTRL+ALT+DEL which depending on your situation, sometimes lets you get out of the mess. If the driver is completely crashed though that wont do anything. But sometimes when you hit that, it comes up with the windows options, and you hit ESC, and then have the option to shutdown the game, or at least SEE something. Anyways that is a totally separate issue to the random crashes in the game. When we say crash's we are referring to the FFXIV has encountered a error type messages, spontaneously.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Frost Trunks
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    I wonder what kind of heat its putting out, do you have a temp monitor on that thing.
    There is an Nvidia app to monitor the temp. If it reaches a specific temp, it reboots the computer. I've had it overheat when I attempted to play and do video editing. The PC just rebooted (I don't do this anymore). When I play I usually manually turn the fan on to make sure it stays cool. It typically runs anywhere between 50-60 degrees Celsius.

I don't know that it's the driver. Usually when my graphics driver crashes, I get a BSOD
    (0)
    Last edited by Frost_Trunks; 06-24-2015 at 04:50 AM.

Player
    Character
    Sasha Sicoe
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Blacksmith Lv 60
    AMD R9 270 here, crashing when I exit the game, I don't really care about it though.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Drako Lombardi
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 60
    Well a lot of times GFX manufacturers put a fail-safe into the driver to keep it from completely bottoming out. This results in the driver resetting, and sometimes it'll recover, causing a game to hang in this manner. Forcing you to do fun things to recover, without a full reboot. Or sometimes the failsafe function fails, and you get situations where it never comes back, and you still have audio. This function is suppose to keep it from rebooting completely due to heat. And it works because when it resets, most games will crash in the process, and keep it from overheating yet again.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Akashi Mousai
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 90
    Well a lot of times GFX manufacturers put a fail-safe into the driver to keep it from completely bottoming out. This results in the driver resetting, and sometimes it'll recover, causing a game to hang in this manner. Forcing you to do fun things to recover, without a full reboot. Or sometimes the fail safe function fails, and you get situations where it never comes back, and you still have audio. This function is suppose to keep it from rebooting completely due to heat. And it works because when it resets, most games will crash in the process, and keep it from overheating yet again.
    Yep, back in 2.0 I built a new PC with not enough cooling, and on a couple occasions 14 would freeze, then stutter, give me an error message (nvidia would), and then I'd continue to play 14 but with lesser graphics. However, this is definitely not the same case for these drivers. My friend has the original Titan and he's having the same issues. His temps never hit above 60c, and everything else is fine. Even lowering his Graphics from Max to High still caused crashes, dx9 fixed the problem. Right now I firmly believe dx11 isn't implemented properly and there'll be future fixes (hopefully by nvidia themselves) that'll cure the issue.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Aniramil Edlothia
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    This particular issue looks more like the GFX card itself crashing, or the video driver crashing. I wonder what kind of heat its putting out, do you have a temp monitor on that thing. It would be nice to know what its sitting at while in the game. I know sometimes if a game crashed my video driver, esp at full screen, sometimes I have to do a CTRL+ALT+DEL which depending on your situation, sometimes lets you get out of the mess. If the driver is completely crashed though that wont do anything. But sometimes when you hit that, it comes up with the windows options, and you hit ESC, and then have the option to shutdown the game, or at least SEE something. Anyways that is a totally separate issue to the random crashes in the game. When we say crash's we are referring to the FFXIV has encountered a error type messages, spontaneously.
    I don't have a temp monitor on it, but I did do a quick "feel" around that area of the computer when it happened and nothing seemed even warm to the touch, so I'd have a hard time believing it was overheating if nothing around it had absorbed any noticeable heat that I could feel. I've also never had this happen in any other application or game before.

But like I said in my earlier post, this was the first "crash" that I had with DX11 - the next one (after I did a hard shutdown/restart once I got the black screen error) was one of the "FFXIV has encountered an error and needs to close" ones. After that, I figured DX11 just isn't worth the trouble and went back to DX9. No issues at all since then, runs for hours on end without errors as it did before. It's passable that way, I just wish I could get it to be stable enough to run in DX11.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Illyasviel Einzbern
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 80
    I can report that on my 970 and 980 Ti, I was getting CTDs (Crash to Desktop) in DX11 mode on both the Heavensward Benchmark and the game client. It does something horrifying to the Nvidia drivers too, like it actually murderizes the HDMI audio device and Windows 7 goes crazy and a new device appears in the Audio Settings of Windows and the old one is still there but doesn't work anymore and all sound goes through the new one.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Nyaano Nohea
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 70
    You might want to roll back drivers to version 350.xx

352.xx and 353.xx drivers have been very problematic for various users.

You might want to use the Display Driver Uninstaller from https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...d-06-17-2015-/ before installing the 350.xx series of drivers if you want to try older drivers.

980Ti users can't do that with official drivers though as the 350.xx series don't support it officially.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Zeon Darksol
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost_Trunks View Post
    Anyone else have an issue with the DX11 client crashing? I did a brief glance at the topics and I didn't see anything.

I have an NVidia Geforce GTX 970 SSC, so I don't need a new video card.

I get no error code, just a flat out "FFXIV Has stopped Working" dialog window and everything crashes. I have had it happen at least half a dozen times. I switched to DX9 last night and ran several hours with no crash. I run borderless windowed mode. Kind of sucks, I was enjoying the new graphics.
    Does your Bios support it? Go look up your motherboard and see if it has a Bios update for higher versions of direct x.

I had to do this a long time ago.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Gyson Kincaid
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    I never had a crash using the old client. Since the expansion I've been using the DX11 client and I usually get one crash a day, plus one usually whenever exiting the game.
    (0)

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast