Player
    Character
    Samira Starlightzz
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by tocsin View Post
    That's what we are saying. if you are waiting long enough for them to feel the need to pull ahead of you, you are probably waiting too long to pull.
    I have to stop a second to mark targets. That's hardly enough time to warrant acting like you're the tank, by "you're" I mean those that are doing this, not you.
    (0)
    Last edited by h0tNstilettos; 05-18-2015 at 05:31 PM.

Player
    Character
    Tocsin Wolndara
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by h0tNstilettos View Post
    I have to stop a second to mark targets. That's hardly enough time to warrant acting like you're the tank.
    ah, you stop to mark separately. okay, that makes sense. If I might make a suggestion, a certain macro helps a lot (assuming MRD/WAR, if PLD replace with "shield lob"):

/macroicon "tomahawk"
    /marking attack1 <t>
    /ac "tomahawk" <t>

Generally, if you are running in and overpowering and using your combo, you shouldn't need to mark more than the first target anyways, mainly because by the time the first target dies, you will already have a pretty big head start on agro for both the other enemies.

That way, you don't have to stop, mark everything, and then gear up to start attacking separately.

Hope it helps!
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Yomiko Readman
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 60
    I think a macro would be your greatest ally here.

Depends on your platform (you're on PC or console?), a macro to:

a) Pull Target
    b) Mark target as 1

would be very good.

I use:

/ac Tomahawk
    /mk 1

This macro would instantly target your Tomahawk target to have the mark, instantaneously decreasing your marking time before pull significantly and thus allowing you to have the initial pull. Plus, if you are off GCD, the macro would also mark your target as 1.

I only use this for marking ever. It works all the time.

Before your target dies, quickly change (or tab) to another enemy and shoot that macro to mark it, giving the DPS the next thing to smash and kill, resulting in easier agro management and happy times.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Samira Starlightzz
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 70
    ah, you stop to mark separately. okay, that makes sense. If I might make a suggestion, a certain macro helps a lot (assuming MRD/WAR, if PLD replace with "shield lob"):

/macroicon "tomahawk"
    /marking attack1 <t>
    /ac "tomahawk" <t>

Generally, if you are running in and overpowering and using your combo, you shouldn't need to mark more than the first target anyways, mainly because by the time the first target dies, you will already have a pretty big head start on agro for both the other enemies.

That way, you don't have to stop, mark everything, and then gear up to start attacking separately.

Hope it helps!
    Thanks, I never thought of that. Only downside is that I would need 2 tomahawk slots, one with marking and one without because if I need to tomahawk a mob that joins mid fight or if I happen to lose aggro, then it would be weird to change mark to one I'm trying to get aggro back on.

EDIT: I'm on PS4.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Yomiko Readman
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 60

/macroicon "tomahawk"
    /marking attack1 <t>
    /ac "tomahawk" <t>

Hope it helps!
    What she said. Posted literally 4 minutes before I do.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Juyon Intoner
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    So far from what I've seen, since I've been getting my WAR up recently via dungeons I haven't run into this problem except for one run (which the archer in question would have died, but I pulled them off him because I didn't want the healer to die since she was healing.)

I did start out over on Primal (specifically Famfrit) back in 2.1, and I didn't see this problem there either when I was leveling my first class/job (PLD), though things could change or maybe I was just lucky. Or maybe you've just had a string of bad luck? Happens sometimes. That said outside of just letting them tank and reap the consequences it mostly a "beat em too it first" type of thing.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Final Heaven
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    If you like tanking like you say you do, you have to toughen yourself up to people testing you in dungeons when you run. It's our community and this is why we have such a severe tank shortage. All these negative experiences can do is help you to grow from them and become a better tank and harden your in game character. Keep your confidence, though. I remember my first dungeons, especially as a gladiator and I had the same things happen to me. It's almost like a hazing ritual for new tanks. You can let dps keep pulling and watch them kite, get healed, or not get healed and die. It's up to you. If leveling your tank is stressful for you, try leveling with a friend if you can. It helped me a lot. Good luck!
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Yolanda Freebush
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    UPDATE: So I think I'm done tanking after having nothing but bad experiences.
    You have to be able to turn off your normal self and become:

I have to stop a second to mark targets.
    In all honesty in low level stuff even post 50 this is not required. In fact I never do it and in all the instances I have run only one person has asked that I do this. Low level stuff at this point is being steamrolled, marking is all but useless.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Viva Diva
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Eye_Gore View Post
    In all honesty in low level stuff even post 50 this is not required. In fact I never do it and in all the instances I have run only one person has asked that I do this. Low level stuff at this point is being steamrolled, marking is all but useless.
    I second this. Marking is a waste of time. At low levels it doesn't even matter if you lose aggro to a dps or healer as long as you keep most mobs on you. At higher level the single target dps should be pretty experienced at attacking the target you tomahawk and you'll have a solid lead on the remaining targets. Just pull faster and dps won't have time to pull ahead of you.

Don't take stuff so serious. It's a game. It doesn't matter if you don't keep everything on you 100% of the time. Just do your best and you'll clear no problem.

Also, tomahawk won't get mobs back to you. It's emnity generation is very low.
    (0)

http://dtguilds.com

Player
    Character
    Kuro Moon
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 80
    Its fun to watch when dps thinks its a tank, I usually just go on my merry way and pretend im the dps and attack on target with no tomahawk or over power. then when they have died enough and say what the hell, I just say oh what happened? I thought we where switching roles mr. tank??? then proceed to say, stop pulling and you wont die or get even a wif of agro. if you where on my server id say id go in with you as a healer and whoever was pulling and doing it on purpose, I would let die until they learned the lesson.
    (7)
    Kuro Moon
    BLM-AST-DRK ////Omni Crafter//

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast