Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Felicia Meracle
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 80
    Samurai would be the next Tank I want to see down the road after Dark Knight. There are people out there claiming that Samurai should be a DPS, but quite frankly, we already have a Japanese styled DPS role. (Looking at you, Ninja) Course, people also wanted Dark Knight to be a DPS and boy did they EVER CRY when DRK got announced as a Tank.

I'd still rather that Samurai be a Tank though, if not only to fill in the role of a Japanese style Tank, but it'll help to further add in more tanking diversity. (Much like how I want more Healer diversity and requesting that Dancer be the next healer)

After that... I dunno. Maybe a DoM tank next. Perhaps Blue Mage, as some people have been suggesting in here.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Your Character
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Blue Mage Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by JimboTCB View Post
    Rift did it, their rogue class was also a dodge/evasion tank. Also WOW with Monks. There's plenty of precedent for dodge/evasion tanks in MMOs, just a matter of whether they can shoehorn it into the overly restrictive class/jobs system they've ended up with - I'd put it as a second job choice for Rogue, but unless you're an arcanist apparently you only deserve one job...
    They'll only be able to do that if/when they get away from making fights hinge on mechanics that rely on tanks getting at least touched by boss moves. Tank swaps queued up by debuff stacks off mobs hitting tanks with 2-part moves would be utterly trivialized by a decent evasion tank. Even just the heavy reliance on most hits being small damage with big tank-killer hits weaved in...an evasion tank is either going to be trucked by those or make them laughable with evasion-based cooldowns.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Toki Tsuchimi
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    I think a Geomancer could be a great DoM tank, I even made a list of abilities on how it could be played. It uses elemental shields to mitigate damage and attack enemies. And it uses maces. Anyone interested can check it out here.

http:// tinyurl.com/ff14arrjobs
    (1)
    I like helping people with their Job ideas, it's fun to help them visuallize and create the job they'd like to play most. Plus I make my own too, I'll post them eventually.

Player
    Character
    Maeror Montealvo
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 90
    I didn't like it then, but i understand and favor the fact DRK is a tank in FFXIV... That being said.

Yeah i accept it, doesn't mean i cant be salty, heh.

FFTA Templar always seemed like it could work.

(0)

Player
    Character
    Tani Shirai
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Samurai, if it could be a fully viable dps as well, albeit not simultaneously, or Blue Mage.

Only issue I see with Blue Mage is that the job itself does not connote any particular starting skill set, and that the title itself just feels oddly open-ended for the FFXIV world. Firstly, it could just as easily be attached to a Lancer as an Arcanist, and neither class--none, really--would feel like anything but an interference. Further, all the jobs we have so far are actual paths of specialized training begun only after one has reached considerable enough training to begin into its path. In the FFXIV world, we don't wake up one morning, grab a sword, and think "I'll train to be part of an obscure, monarchically-aligned order of knights." When we pick up a sword, we're just swordsman (albeit localized to Gladiator for Ul'duhn flavor). Yet there's nothing quite so intuitive about--I'll forsake my own choice of weapon and skills in order to eat whatever a monster throws at me and use it for myself. I could imagine it, with the reintroduction of some much more ominous part of the Shroud, perhaps returning as the Wildling or whatnot, but otherwise it seems like it'd be only a poor composite of two unrelated parts.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Morrigan Fox
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    I would say a viking with a shield and axe or a spartan with a shield and spear. Although a massive warhammer could work.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Rhaja Foxtail
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    Putting some points down as to why I feel Blue Mage should be introduced as a tank instead of DPS or Healer;

The Job is based around fighting monsters and in turn learning how to fight like a monster. Usually this is done by getting hit by the monster enough times to learn how to do so. While there are some that can learn just by watching the monster, the usual vibe I've seen is Blue Mage gets its power from getting beaten up. Tanks have a knack for willingly getting beaten up.

Another major reason is that Blue Mage could redirect attacks thrown at it, albeit at a weaker percentage. While Samurai could be fluffed to do so with a counter, I believe the idea that the tank literally absorbed the attack just to throw it back feel's much, much better. This could also lead into their main form of mitigation; absorbing damage into a pool and tossing it back. Similar to WoW's monk that takes the damage over time, and druid which if I remember correct just ignores some damage taken.

I also honestly believe the DPS should be given a sword class. I was all for DRK being a DPS with the hope that Hp would be it's main resource. However, now every sword user is a tank thus far. Samurai is a very popular class, and the katana is a very loved sword within the eastern fantasy crowd. Putting it into a least desired roll is going to make more people angry than happy. Instead make it a stance dancing dps, switching from two handed to dual wielding, depending on the fight.

In all honesty though, I just want Blue Mage. I don't care if it somehow even comes out as a healer, I just want to devour monsters =;[
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tani Shirai
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaja View Post
    In all honesty though, I just want Blue Mage. I don't care if it somehow even comes out as a healer, I just want to devour monsters =;[
    I really hope they'll be sort of traditional about it (actually absorbing any number of abilities, even if perhaps with limited storage, from the open world) and actually let us choose, from an above-average sized arsenal of possible abilities, what monster abilities we want to use, and swap or hybridize our role accordingly. Having options as to our passives would be really helpful in that regard too. As long as I'm heavy enough to speedrun tank with a decent mix of dps and support abilities, and to main tank a raid if I go almost full tank abilities/passives, I doubt I could be happier on any other job/class.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Val Vermillion
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 80
    Since we're getting some more attention to least used jobs like machinist and astrologian, i think it would be cool if we got the templar, could be a lance and shield tank.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Rhaja Foxtail
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    Or a pet tanking class...

CHOCOBO KNIGHT!!!

Spear and Chocobo, the combination would be monstrous!
    (1)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast