Character
    Fiona Greentear
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50

Newbie Conjurer needs help!

Hi everyone!

Four days ago I started playing as a Conjurer. I never had any Healer characters on any MMO before, so I'm extra new to my role.

I'm currently lv. 22, but today I went to the Stinging Back guildhest and I think I was a shame of a conjurer, I let everyone die and died 2 times myself.

We were fighting the boss, I was locked at the tank and cycling through the party list (gamepad user here) when any DPS needed support. What happened was the THM getting aggro when the adds spawned, as well as the LNC, so the only choice I had was to spam Medica (I hate Medica because it generates too much hate, but they were losing HP too fast, including the tank) so all the enemies attacked me and I obviously died.

What should I do in that kind of situation? After that incident I tried Stinging Back another time and it all went well, and I don't have any problems healing my party on dungeons or other guildhests... Can someone tell me what I did or what went wrong?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Princess Mae'a
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 90
    Hi

There could of been a number of things that went wrong in a situation like this.

1) Did the blm start to AOE the adds BEFORE the tank got hate? Fire 2 can generate a lot of hate and rip mobs off a tank at the start.

2) Did anyone sleep the adds when the party HP started to drop?

3) Was the DRG attacking the same mob as the tank? Oftentimes when the DPS isn't on the same mob as the tank, they take a lot of damage low level.

At 22, you wouldn't have access to any of WHM's nifty abilities so I would say the best bet is:

-Stay as far from mobs as you can not to draw hate
    -Stick with cure 1 unless you need an oh shit cure 2
    -Use medica sparingly as it has a high mp cost and can get you hate+put you in attack range
    -Try to get swiftcast as a cross skill (it is a miracle worker for a quick medica/buff/raise)
    -If too many enemies aggro and the party can't handle it, try to sleep them so you can recover.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Fiona Greentear
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    1) Did the blm start to AOE the adds BEFORE the tank got hate? Fire 2 can generate a lot of hate and rip mobs off a tank at the start.

No, he didn't, he was a little too far from the rest of us so the adds attacked him first.

2) Did anyone sleep the adds when the party HP started to drop?

No, I don't have Repose yet and the THM only used Fire.

3) Was the DRG attacking the same mob as the tank? Oftentimes when the DPS isn't on the same mob as the tank, they take a lot of damage low level.

No, most of the time the tank was cycling trough the mobs, and the DRG only attacked the "boss" so I think he got aggro from it.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Cael'ureos Heavenscar
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 20
    Hum... I could say that you did well, actually when another team member is getting aggro it's role from the tank taunt the rest of the enemies. Knowing how the place works is a good thing to warn the team members where the enemies is coming from, so they can position better. So in your cause, it's a good thing to ask how the place works to become aware how you and your team should act.

In that situation you should choose only one DPS to heal, this can make your tank pay attention on your team mate since he is not being healed anymore. Even if the tank don't react it's more effective to the DPS control the aggro than the tank, but only in that situation.
    (0)
    "The world is very different for those who cannot see beyond what is placed before their very eyes."

Player
    Character
    J'talhdi Belhi
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 90
    To be honest, I suspect the fault wasn't with you, based on your description. Usually if your group is taking too much damage and you have to resort to spaming heals to keep them up to the point you are drawing hate, then your other group mates are the ones slipping up. Its going to happen and often it can be hard for a healer to be sure when its their fault or someone else's.

With that said one of the tricks to master in healing is knowing when and how much healing is needed. Overhealing will usually generate too much hate and burn you mana to quickly. These are skills that come from experience.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Alvis Yune
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 70
    That definitely sounds like not you. DPS in low level content often ill realise that them pulling aggro from a tank is not a good thing - and it doesn't help that oftentimes tanks also don't realise that they're not being targetted by everything they need to be!

Medica actually only generates about 20% more aggro by nature than Cure, but neither generate all that much. That said, the main danger in Medica use - or wayward regen or medica ii use later - is more in the possibility that you're healing a target who hasn't really established aggro (eg an archer that's targetting a DPS when neither the DPS or tank has noticed). Given the situation though you didn't do that bad.

If you find yourself with aggro, for future reference, run yourself over to the tank. Assuming they aren't braindead (in which case, welp), the enemies that follow you should be noticed by the tank who'll pick them up quickly.
    Disclaimer: Avoid doing this during bosses as bosses usually have high-powered cleaves that deal high damage and it's not fun. But for mob pulls this is generally best.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Stubbo Mackenzie
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    Tanks don't have amazingly good AOE threat at low levels, especially compared to what THM can put out. DPS need to learn to moderate their AOE at the start of a pull and not just go nuts as soon as they spawn. Plus, at low-ish levels most players can stand to take a hit or two from a loose add, it's usually better to hold off and let the tank grab aggro back than to go nuts with AOE healing, generate even more aggro and pull all the mobs yourself, you can always spot-heal that one DPS afterwards as long as they didn't do anything stupid that got them one-shot.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Viva Diva
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 60
    If you happen to draw hate stack on the tank! Chasing down the healer to get mobs back is impossible and usually results in a wipe. If dps pulled off him then you pulled off dps don't panic and just bring them to the tank. He/she will <3 you 4evah.
    (0)

http://dtguilds.com

Player
    Character
    Obe Liske
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 51
    It sounds like the DPC done dropped the ball. DPS should always be focus firing the mob that's on the tank.
    (0)