Player
    Character
    Aymeigh Lewanda
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90

The Ban of White Magic/Black Magic

I've always wondered about this in the lore.

Black Magic and why its outlawed and taught the way it is sort of explained? I never did the questline for it and I've heard bits and pieces. Thats fine.

Just White Magic is what I'm wondering about.

White Magic isn't allowed to be studied at all unless your a Padjal or the super special Warrior of Light. We know White Magic caused one of the calamities in the past that drained all the aether yet it being outlawed seems to make no sense.

Why would you outlaw a magic that can help people? Why only padjal?

I tried to read up on it but never got much except from the questline. It just seems so strange that it stays limited in practice. Conjurers have limited healing capabilities but if something truly horrific happens beyond a conjurer's capabilities, how would they get one of the only white mages in existence?

I don't know. Its my questions and suppose one way to get more lore out of it from somewhere.
    (1)
    Last edited by Cedane; 03-15-2015 at 06:01 AM.

Player
    Character
    Nutritious Delicious
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 54
    It was explained with the Amdapor quests. In the 5th Astral Era magic was rediscovered by people after a bit of a dead spot with Thaumaturgy really taking off. The Amdapori sort of freak out and develop White Magic in response to the Thaumaturgists black magic.

In essence, White Magic was NOT developed to help people. It was in fact Developed as a weapon of War.

Enter the 6th Umbral Era when war breaks out between the two groups and possibly the Scholars from Nym. (Scholar quests suggest this). Basically the Thaumatugists summon Diablos right into the heart of Amdapor, the City of Nym becomes stricken by a plague that turns its people into Tonberries.

What about white magic though?

Well the White Mages misused their white magic so much they destroyed Eorzea.... in a giant flood....

Ever since the Padjal have been extremely cautious in who they teach white magic to. They do not wish to anger the Elementals as using white magic requires their blessing to do so without killing yourself, nor do they wish to risk another flood through abuse of the magic.

If you have not had the opprotunity to level a white mage, I would do so just for the storyline.
    (0)
    Last edited by Causality; 03-15-2015 at 06:12 AM.

Player
    Character
    Miasma Eschaton
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Causality View Post
    It was explained with the Amdapor quests. In the 5th Astral Era magic was rediscovered by people after a bit of a dead spot with Thaumaturgy really taking off. The Amdapori sort of freak out and develop White Magic in response to the Thaumaturgists black magic.
    It was re-discovered in the 5th umbral era which lead to the 5th astral era to be more precise. But yeal it all started with thaumaturgy. Worth noting is that thaumaturgy used only the aether withing someone so magic was quite limited until Shatotto developed BLM.

In essence, White Magic was NOT developed to help people. It was in fact Developed as a weapon of War.
    Don't quote me here but I was convinced that the elementals thought people in the twelveswood white magic to balance out destruction and succor (BLM and WHM)

Enter the 6th Umbral Era when war breaks out between the two groups and possibly the Scholars from Nym. (Scholar quests suggest this). Basically the Thaumatugists summon Diablos right into the heart of Amdapor, the City of Nym becomes stricken by a plague that turns its people into Tonberries.
    The war starts in the 5th astral era still. The flood is what brought by the 6th Umbral era.
    Black mages are most likely to be the ones to summon voidsent, yea but who summoned what in the end is unclear. The plague that befell nym happened either during or after the floods, not during the war.

Well the White Mages misused their white magic so much they destroyed Eorzea.... in a giant flood....
    It was the elementals avatar of wrath, Oha-Sok, the elemental of nihilty to usher in the floods and to wash away all the magick on the land. It was the war of the magi and the abusage of magick in general that angered the elementals, not white mages and white magic itself. So all 3 nations (and maybe even more ) are to blame.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Zohar Lahar
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedane View Post
    I tried to read up on it but never got much except from the questline. It just seems so strange that it stays limited in practice. Conjurers have limited healing capabilities but if something truly horrific happens beyond a conjurer's capabilities, how would they get one of the only white mages in existence?
    The White Mages are essentially the conjurers' bosses, and in the event of a major state of emergency it's pretty much a given the Seedseers will intervene.
    (0)
    Last edited by Zohar_Lahar; 03-15-2015 at 08:27 AM.

Player
    Character
    Myranda Al'cyoene
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    More so than looking only at the war/conflict itself, it may be helpful to examine the very nature of conjury/white magic. Such spells are woven by drawing/borrowing aether from the surrounding land as the conjurer quest line teaches. As much good as the magic could do, overuse would lead to draining the land of aether whether there's a calamity or not. Causality two posts above is also on point about the relation of all this to the war and that it's the Elementals that seek to restrict the use of white magic, not exactly the Padjal themselves.
    (1)
    Check out my Eorzean fonts! - Twitter: @MyrandaFFXIV
    http://dachoutom.no-ip.org/ffxiv/fonts.html
    The Astronomical Society of Eorzea!
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/142965-The-Astronomical-Society-of-Eorzea

Player
    Character
    Galyn Dotharl
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 70
    I actually wonder if the White Mages were the ones to create the Tonberry Retrovirus in the first place. Some sort of spell that wove water-aether deeply into a person's being to corrupt them into a new thing, and then there's the Curse on the Tonberry King that gave all of the Tonberries the Rancor... There's a lot there, I just don't know in what way it all fits together...
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Wolfandre De'asura
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    It is worth noting that the White Mages didn't directly cause the Umbral Event, so much as their actions did. The Elementals were the ones who, if memory serves, caused it by manifesting their grief as Oha-Sok, the Elemental of Nihility. Oha-Sok judged humanity and decided the world would be better off if it were drowned. White magic, then, wasn't so much banned as much as it was forgotten about (I think maybe that was the idea.... "Awh, man! Look at all this awful stuff you guys did with that really awesome thing we gave you!!") and restricted by the Elementals.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Aigiarn Kha
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfandre View Post
    It is worth noting that the White Mages didn't directly cause the Umbral Event, so much as their actions did. The Elementals were the ones who, if memory serves, caused it by manifesting their grief as Oha-Sok, the Elemental of Nihility. Oha-Sok judged humanity and decided the world would be better off if it were drowned. White magic, then, wasn't so much banned as much as it was forgotten about (I think maybe that was the idea.... "Awh, man! Look at all this awful stuff you guys did with that really awesome thing we gave you!!") and restricted by the Elementals.
    This makes me wonder, if Oha-Sok isn't a primal or something akin to it. The primal of the elementals. Just how intelligent are the elementals?
    (4)

Player
    Character
    J'talhdi Belhi
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by LystAP View Post
    This makes me wonder, if Oha-Sok isn't a primal or something akin to it. The primal of the elementals. Just how intelligent are the elementals?
    I don't think Oha-Sok was a primal. Primal's all create detectable aetheric signatures which is how we usually know when one has been summoned. They also usually require large quantities of Aether to summon.

If Oha-Sok was a primal, I suspect they would have been detected much earlier. The elemental is around for a while.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tonrak Totorak
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    I don't quite remember where I read this and cant find where I got it from, so don't quote me on this

But I remember reading that the fey and the elementals were 1st created, but since nothing else could survive on light alone water was then brought forth into the land where life could slowly sprang ....Midgardsomnr was then task to task to protect this place.

Although one must wonder, are the elementals responsible for ushering some of the astral/umbral era? In the case of the War of Magi the BLM and WHM (lol SCH are barely mentioned) the over use of magic sucked the land dry of Aether. Just imagine a whole civilization absorbing large quantities of aether. So drowning them all helped Hydealyn recover o_0
    (0)

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast