Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Player
    Character
    Goffard Gaffgarion
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 73
    A controller method that helps with placing ground markers/Aoe (ie caster lb, placing pet, sacred prism, shadowflare etc) is, like target cycling, manipulating the camera correctly.

The placement crosshair always appears in the center of the screen. So just aim the camera to where-ever you want the marker to be at the center of the screen.

Sacred prism for example. Before I use it I swing the camera so it's looking straight down on me, >prism will be placed right under me. I don't have to waste any time trying to place it. Just click click boom

t9 divebomb waymarkers on the other hand would be harder to place i imagine.
    (0)
    Last edited by Xenosan; 03-24-2015 at 02:28 AM.

Player
    Character
    Azgadian Wolfwing
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 21
    I personally use a controller. The layout feels more familiar to me, and keeps my wrists from cramping up. I do however, have a usb keyboard hooked to my PS4 to make communications easier. Maybe try that option?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Frost Trunks
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 80
    I use both, but I only use keyboard/mouse as a secondary. I use a game pad for primarily everything. Targeting with a cannon and some other spell/abilities is easier with a mouse. I use my number pad with key binding to have quick access to some abilities. This is especially nice with cool downs while playing tank.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Pearl Lion
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 60
    Sounds like you already made your choice before even trying. FFXIV and FFXI have both been cases when the dev actually cared about the importance of fitting as many PC features on a controller as possible. I levelled to 50 using mouse and keyboard as PLD and decided that to make the next class (THM/BLM) feel like a different game, I would try levelling it and relearning PLD with the controller. I was once again impressed and for the time being I've been doing all the same stuff just more relaxed. Not to mention that you can click out onto other windows and still have full control. The only trick I think they missed was a lack of radial menus. I think "1 trigger+8 abilities per stick (16 per trigger)" would have been better than the existing "1 trigger+4 abilities for d-pad and 4 for ABXY/PS shapes (8 per trigger)".

But speaking as a guy who loves his counter strike and fully acknowledges that controllers are flawed, you REALLY don't get a slow-down if you've invested a bit of time into learning the controller for this game. It's not an aim-and-reaction intensive game like an FPS or RTS, especially when your speed is limited by global cooldowns. Plenty of genres shouldn't need a KB+M but most of it comes down to devs that lack the initiative to expand past common control-scheme conventions.

I'll probably keep swapping back and forth between schemes depending on my mood (mining with KB+M is especially a waste of having a KB+M). All you need to know is that playing with your controller doesn't mean you have to forbid yourself from occasionally typing with the KB. I love PCs not because they have the one most flexible scheme, but because they have everything.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Alayna Lazriel
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 70
    I have only ever played with a controller (PS4) If I were to try a kb&m, I would be horrible. It would take me probably twice as long as others to learn since I've never used it for gaming. I don't even understand how people are so good with them. So many keys and fingers stretching etc. With that being said, I know there are still advantages with using kb&m. Like mouse over macros and targeting, but with macros and the intuitiveness of the controller, Ive mastered it and I don't feel at all at a disadvantage. I know it's all preference, but I don't think my brain could handle kb&m.

P.S. playing on the toilet with Vita using remote play is pretty OP though.
    (0)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2