Player

New Characters Birthday Dates

Ok so last night I made a new character and wanted to give him my birthday 11/24

My problem is under the 6th asteral moon I think it's called the 11th moon and date the 24th is the 25th sun so basically 11/24 is the 6th asteral moon 25th sun WTF

It drives me crazy cause I'm slightly OCD lol but I noticed the 7th and 8th Sun share the same date 11/7 why is this? Is it a bug?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Vik Vicious
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 70
    I noticed this as well. I gave my character my birth date of 11/19, meaning 20th Sun of the 6th Astral Moon.

The only reasoning I have for this is because there are two of every moon - Astral followed by Umbral. So from that, January (1st Month) = 1st Astral Moon but March (3rd Month) = 2nd Umbral Moon.

I've often wondered about the order of the moons, because umbral eras precede astral eras. So, why not follow the same scheme for the moons of the year?

As for the same date issue, my best guess is that there are more suns recorded than official days of that moon.
    (0)
    Last edited by treuhavik; 03-14-2015 at 01:25 AM.

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Were you trying to do the real-world to in-game conversion? If I remember correctly, if you try to do it automatically, some details are fudged on account of Eorzea's calendar having 12 months of the same length - 4 weeks of 8 days each. With 32 days in every month, I think some conversions ended up "sharing." I can't really remember, though, lol.
    (2)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 03-14-2015 at 01:49 AM.
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Coco Delouix
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    "Working as intended" as those of us from the "old days" will familiarise with. Nah, it's not a glitch and it's because of the reason above. Hydaelyn / Eorzean months have a fixed number of days, whereas Earth's months vary according to month and from year to leap year. It's been this way since the early beta test releases.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Myranda Al'cyoene
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Moose has the right of it. Eorzean months are 32 days long instead of our shorter 38/30/31 day RL months. My personal way of dealing with it is to just ignore the version in parentheses below the actual calendar. If you click on the 24, to me that's direct and unequivocal that it's the 24th day of the month and that's what matches your RL birthday.

The other way of looking at it is treating your birthday as fractional, which is what the char creation is showing. November 24th is 24/30ths of the way through the month, or 80%. If you then take that 80% times the 32 days of an Eorzean month, you get 25.6, hence the 11/25 that shows up. The day has changed, but you've maintained your relative position compared to the start and end of the month.

Either method is completely valid, so choose whichever you like.
    (1)
    Check out my Eorzean fonts! - Twitter: @MyrandaFFXIV
    http://dachoutom.no-ip.org/ffxiv/fonts.html
    The Astronomical Society of Eorzea!
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/142965-The-Astronomical-Society-of-Eorzea