Player
    Character
    Shell Game
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90

Light Sensitivity Levels and Customization

I'm not sure if this is the proper place for this sort of comment, but it seems like the most fitting.

I've run into a very unfun issue as of late. I have some very specific light and effect based sensitivities linked to my ASD. I've mitigated it for quite some time but I've come to resent what I lose in order to not end up with anxious

Summoner effects trigger my light sensitivity issues and cause dizziness and confusion. My answer for over a year now has been to turn off everyone else's effects, but honestly now the fights seem a lot more empty. Other attacks never caused this problem (with the exception of certain LB3s, but those are sparing enough that they're fine) but the frequent huge flashes and blasts from titan and ifrit create a slow-building tension that impact my ability to focus and play. I miss seeing bards fire their arrows and songs, ninjas doing their cool blasts, the breadth of a healer's big heal on the whole party... Watching my effects join those of others felt like contributing to a big fun thing. Having to turn them all off just makes the game that much less engaging to me. I turned them on again recently and realized what I had been missing, only to have my second roulette have a SMN whose summons just made me kinda sick and irritable.

Yes I have the pets turned to small. It's not enough. I still get flashbanged every 30 seconds (or however long it is). It's frustrating that my options are to either turn off other players' effects every time i'm in a party with a summoner OR turn them off always and just continue to put up with less game. It puts a major damper on my enthusiasm thinking that because I can't maintain mental stability with certain lights and effects. I would like a more nuanced option for what should or shouldn't be limited in the party effects menu settings. All, limited, or nothing isn't particularly useful when the problem isn't all effects, it's simply one subset of effects from one job.

Sorry if this is scattered and fragmented, I honestly don't know how to explain this sort of thing very well, but I wanted to say it somewhere. Maybe this doesn't seem super important to most, but I'm sure there are others who struggle to articulate similar problems so I wanted to at least try. Thank you for your patience.
    (3)

Good morning! Thank you for posting in the Final Fantasy XIV Technical Support Forums.

We apologize for any inconvenience that has occurred when playing Final Fantasy XIV. Unfortunately, the issue you are describing does not appear to be a technical issue. I will go ahead and move this thread to “General Discussion" instead.

Thank you once again for visiting the Final Fantasy XIV Technical Support Forums!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Thalia Beckford
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    I'm not in game to check but IIRC there's a Limited option instead of just completely off. Have you tried that?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Vivian Rysto
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Votraftur View Post
    Good morning! Thank you for posting in the Final Fantasy XIV Technical Support Forums.

We apologize for any inconvenience that has occurred when playing Final Fantasy XIV. Unfortunately, the issue you are describing does not appear to be a technical issue. I will go ahead and move this thread to “General Discussion" instead.

Thank you once again for visiting the Final Fantasy XIV Technical Support Forums!
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Renalt El'doran
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Votraftur View Post

This is why I wish there was a downvote option
    (1)
    When you deal with human beings, never count on logic or consistency.

Fluid like water. Smooth like silk. Pepperoni like pizza.

Player
    Character
    Jojoya Joya
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    I doubt that they could create settings for every individual spell effect that might cause issues for a tiny percentage of players. You're the first one I've heard mention the Summoner pet summons though I've seen other effects mentioned on occasion.

Have you tried changing some of the display and graphics settings in System Configuration as well? Perhaps those might help.

Quote Originally Posted by DiaDeem View Post
    snip
    Not sure why you pulled out the gif. It's not a technical support issue because things are working as intended. It is a suggestion for there to be more options to adjust graphical effects. There's a difference.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Iyami Galvayra
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    I can handle one summoner in a party, but if two or more are going, I have to drop. They just bring so much obnoxious visual clutter. It's like watching a Vermilion Scourge every thirty seconds.

Granted, a lot of jobs feel excessively flashy these days. Reaper doesn't really need giant swathes of color with every swing, for example, and I've complained about machinist's Heated shots more times than I care to recall. But summoners are actively painful to play around.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Tatanpa Nononpa
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    I wish we had an effects option somewhere between "Full" and "Limited" specifically for attacks.

I don't want to completely hide attack effects, like "Limited" does. I just want to tone them down or make them smaller, similar to how they are when we're attacking a ridiculously far away enemy like [minor ShB Alliance Raid spoiler]

Engels in Copied Factory.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Vivian Rysto
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Jojoya View Post
    Not sure why you pulled out the gif. It's not a technical support issue because things are working as intended. It is a suggestion for there to be more options to adjust graphical effects. There's a difference.
    I mean, yeah but... could they possibly be any less helpful?
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Fallen Eden
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90
    A response after 7 days is more involvement than the diablo 4 forums
    (1)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast