Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Psycho Bunny
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80

BLM tips for when mobs all turn on you, or tank is dead etc?

I'm a BLM level 39 right now so haven't hit the end of the game yet, but in doing the most recent dungeons sometimes someone else will get killed, or I'll draw enemity and have the mob turn on me etc. I don't want to just wipe without a fight, or I just need to survive long enough for the healer to raise the dead player etc. I find at this moment when I have things hitting me, and I'm dealing with mana etc I can't think fast enough as to what to cast if I should be attacking or healing myself or healing someone else etc. Swiftcast helps if they are really hitting me, but then you have to wait to use it again and you're still taking damage. I'm sure it's different as I unlock more abilities later on but are there any tips or things people do for situations like this? Sometimes I try sleep but that's better for fates as most bosses and adds can't get put to sleep in dungeons I've found. I know it's situation dependent but thought I'd check to see if there's something obvious. Thx!
    (0)

Player

Sleep 100% works on adds, bosses no. Either surecast bliz II for a quick bind followed by sprint sleep that bys you plenty of time and space to kite, always best to keep swiftcast up for those really OH SHIT moments. Looking at your level i say we are talking about cutters cry 1st boss, you shouldn't at any point touch those adds its the healers responsibility to kite these.

I myself am 41 whm and been through cutters cry quite a bit, people only die if standing in bomb aoe or chimera aoes repeatly

At your level you should be using fire II now if your tank is struggling to maintain hate its a choice between sleep fire III single mobs or with a competent healer Fire II spam

Blizzard can help out with its heavy side affect if a mob os gunning you down
    (1)
    Last edited by Stupiduglytaru; 03-01-2015 at 11:42 PM.

Player
    Character
    Psycho Bunny
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    Great thanks so much that actually helps a lot as I forgot about Bind as I knew Blizzard did that but didn't know what it did until last night. It's also great to know that sleep works on the adds, as I knew it didn't on the boss so didn't always try it. So that would be helpful I think, either Swiftcasting Sleep or Blizzard II to at least figure some things out. I haven't done Cutter's Cry yet I was queuing earlier but was like 40 minutes so logged off. This was actually more so with Sunken City or Sunken whatever it is before Cutter's Cry as we had a TERRIBLE healer, like just couldn't understand what we meant by standing on the platforms to remove Doom when they light up. We actually finished it with 4 minutes to spare on the timer that's how bad it was lol.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kori Fleming
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 80
    Qarn is, in general, pretty terrible in DF. If possible, definitely don't go back in there.

As mentioned, Sleep and the bind from B2 are really good options for keeping damage away from you, especially if a tank has died. At 50, a lot of monsters can't actually be slept, but binding them still works afaik. If all else fails, kiting with Scathe is a good option, though less reliable. You'll also gain access to mitigation through Manaward/wall, which can help a tiny bit in those situations. If you have it, Virus is also good.

Of course, all that said, it's much better if the tank doesn't die and you don't pull aggro, so if you can avoid either then try your best to do so. I know it doesn't always work out that way (DF is a terrifying place), but if it does come to a situation where you're going to pull threat off X mob, make sure to switch to another.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Pandora Heinstein
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 60
    This is what i do in such case - if sleep isnt working of course: popping manawall or manaward depending of what kind of attacks the mobs do in order to stay alive, virus it if necessary (but it increases threat) then of course run to the tank asap to let him get the mobs back.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Jay'nes Alexander
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Swiftcasting Freeze or Blizzard 2 Works well after 50 as most mobs anymore in higher dungeons resist sleep.

Pre-50 though once ypu get the trait to have sleep effect all nearby enemies it works wonders.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Psycho Bunny
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    Great thanks yeah it's helpful. Was in Cutter's Cry just now and tank died because his Internet dropped, then the others did and it was just me but for at least a few minutes until I lapsed and realized nothing was happening other than the "Not enough MP" message lol, by the time I tried to transpose and what not I was dead. Find it so frustrating playing on PS4 sometimes!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Slappah Lol
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by 416to305 View Post
    Great thanks yeah it's helpful. Was in Cutter's Cry just now and tank died because his Internet dropped, then the others did and it was just me but for at least a few minutes until I lapsed and realized nothing was happening other than the "Not enough MP" message lol, by the time I tried to transpose and what not I was dead. Find it so frustrating playing on PS4 sometimes!
    Hook up a mouse and keyboard then?

There's really nothing wrong with being on PS4. I played with controller for 7-8ish months before I got a new tv, re-arranged my room and basically turned my ps4 into a desktop, and now I'm keyboard and mouse all day.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Pale Esper
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 80
    When it comes to dealing with mobs in dungeons < lvl 50, I found it best to keep all of the enemies asleep except for the one the tank and other dps are focused on. Once you get it down, you can sleep and dps very easily. If your party focuses on burning down one enemy at a time, you'll get through dungeons quickly and safely.

If the tank goes down, protect the healer and let the other dps deal with aggro. Use sleep, at your level it should be an AOE. A little trick with sleep is you can cast it as filler while you are waiting for your MP bar to fill.

Or you can run into a mob and cast Blizzard 2, and always have some ethers hotkeyed so you can pop one in case you are out of MP.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Rui Ooshima
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    Your tank should be able to hold hate, but in the case he/she for whatever reason could not, sleep works magic.

You will definitely appreciate sleep during dungeons like Dzemael Darkhold later. Mobs hurts like crazy and without Flare, your Fire II is pretty pathetic as AoE. If you ever find your tank/healer could not keep up, just sleep the pack.
    (0)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast