Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Viridia Black
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 52

More interest in playing Archer.

(ilvl 100) After playing as an Archer for the past couple of days, I'm not really sure why Jobbing into Bard is the standard.

I get it. I'm not being the best "team member" by not bringing the bonuses that come with the songs. But, in most content now, people are overgeared and I never need to sing one. So what's the point?

Ok, ok, there's the +20 atk pwr. But thats worth like 10-15 points per heavy shot (tested on dummy). And I actually average out a bit better when keeping Fracture up. Also, Internal Release helps burst average higher when AOEing groups.

200hp? 300mp? I didn't miss them.

Furthermore, since doing this, Ive:
    - Swiftcasted a Stoneskin to save a wipe on a mini-boss.
    - Bloodbathed myself to health when pulling aggro during an AOE spamm. No healer required.
    - Provoked the coincounter off a healer (and kite tanked, saved a wipe) when the real tank didnt dodge.

Dont get me wrong. I love the bard. Love it, and use it effectively. But archer seems so much more useful for all that daily/weekly/roulette stuff.

Jus sayin.
    (2)
    Last edited by radioactive_lego; 03-01-2015 at 08:24 AM.

Player
    Character
    Slappah Lol
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    I mean I guess if you're just doing dungeons then it doesn't really matter but stepping foot into coil or any ex primal as an archer is just kind of laughable tbh
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Jim Berry
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 90
    In raids, your songs (that you get as BRD) are crucial to battle. Your melee need TP, healers need MP, caster DPS need Requiem.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Jim Berry
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 90
    Imagine if your PLD died and the MRD had to tank with no access to Defiance.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Trinka Trinka
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    At that ilevel it really doesn't matter what you do.
    (2)

Character
    Viridia Black
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 52
    Quote Originally Posted by Slappah View Post
    I mean I guess if you're just doing dungeons then it doesn't really matter but stepping foot into coil or any ex primal as an archer is just kind of laughable tbh
    No argument on that coil stuff. But justabout every place else, Archer ftw. Not only is it as good (better?), but it's more interesting to play, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by trinka View Post
    At that ilevel it really doesn't matter what you do.
    Actually, as your ILVL goes up, the +20 atk pwr seems more trivial.

Started doing this at I lvl 82, when that +20 atk pwr pushed me from 392 to 412. Gear/oils/sands and 18 ilvls later that +20 atk pwr pushes 518 to 538.

It's only a loss when your not buffing someone with song. Pushing a mage's 500 spell power to 600 is huge, but temporary. But when was the last time you got into a razor-thin dps check in a roulette?

NOTE: I'm not trying to convince anyone the bard isnt a valid class, even in daily grindy stuff. It just seems to me that Archer is just as useful.
    (0)
    Last edited by radioactive_lego; 03-01-2015 at 09:57 AM.

Player
    Character
    Firelord Azula
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Berry View Post
    Imagine if your PLD died and the MRD had to tank with no access to Defiance.
    Fun story, MRD can do some really crazy things with all those cross class abilities. Put out a ton of DPS with your enmity generating moves and you don't even need Defiance. Defiance is more useful for the damage reduction tbh. When we pony farm one of my buddies usually OT's on MRD no problem.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Gunsa Cabalabob
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Don't underestimate that extra attack power. It effects every damage you do. It's not just +15 heavy shots it's a + to everything including your dots and that starts to add up.

On top of this archer gets access to no damage increasing cross class skills that bard does not (BFB, IR, invigorate etc.) so as archer you're just getting a few utilities which you shouldn't need if everyone's doing their job.
    (5)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilthas View Post
    The anonymity of the internet is what leads people to become jerks online.

You could make a game where all you did was run through fields of flowers holding hands and you'd still get a guy telling you you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcshiggs View Post
    Everyone knows you skip through fields of flowers holding hands, running noobs need to go back to WoW.

Player
    Character
    Shozak Lohzak
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    I enjoy playing the archer as well. Sure it's a damages/dps loss but I like all the extra skills. I wish they'd allow all the jobs to use any skills as they please like the archer or at-least make the classes viable for end game content. I know if the classes were viable for end-game, it'd make the jobs pretty much pointless but I guess SE knows what they're doing but one can only dream/wish.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Temisu Namisu
    World
    Kujata
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by radioactive_lego View Post
    Actually, as your ILVL goes up, the +20 atk pwr seems more trivial.
    Atk power is based on DEX (at a 1:1 ratio). Going up +20 is like going from the i80 body to the i120 body (ignoring boosts to secondary stat caps and VIT). Let's assume that that boost does increase your Heavy Shot damage by 20 (point for point). But that boost also affects the damage of every other ability; Bloodletter, DoTs, Barrage - all of these making up a major part of your damage. And sure, that damage is overkill for any decent group who can also deal with the dungeons in general. But if you could kill things faster by doing more damage (which you can't as an Archer because that +20 is impossible to make up for), you wouldn't have to rely on strange crutches like Swiftcast + Stoneskin or Provoking enemies.
    (1)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast