Player
    Character
    N'yuuki Nekohmi
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90

"Random" Isn't So Random

The NPC's playing "Random" decks don't randomize their cards; they have the same 3-4 star deck each time depending on the npc.

If players have 30+ cards and we fight an NPC in a "Random" game why are our cards still deck restricted? Why can't we have a chance to load 2 or more 5 star cards to fight against their deck?

As it stands it appears we get 1 high level card and have a chance to decrease the maximum power of our deck which flies in the face of the term "random". Currently this feels far to restricted when fighting specific "Random Game" npc's.

Doing this players are literally haemorrhaging MGP while praying to RNGesus that they win the next round (which rarely happens).

It'd be nice to see some kind of adjustments made to this mode.

>__<
    (15)

Player
    Character
    Chida Rake
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 80
    random was the most annoying rule in 8 as well, I remember purposefully removing that rule from everywhere in the world.

your right though the npc's who use the random rule should have an extended deck so there is more variance to them, not just on the player themselves.

of course you could farm the high level cards first before playing the random rule matches then increase your deck after getting the cards, but of course unlike 8 you cant dispose of the low level cards once gained to give yourself that advantage.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Quince Viville
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 60
    Agreed it would be nice just for "random" to lift the restriction on the rare cards
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Neri Feralheart
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    It's annoying, but you can avoid it almost all the time. There are only three NPCs in the game that use the "Random" rule as a fixed rule: Rowena, Aurifort of the Three Clubs, and Landenel. If "Random" is chosen as a regional rule, just don't play NPCs in that area until the next day (regional rules change every day). And while it's annoying that it affects you and not the NPCs, take comfort in the following two truths: 1) because their card pool is so small, you can write down every card they own so you know what they almost definitely have in their hand, and 2) the Triple Triad AI is horrendous. I've seen quite often a situation where the NPC had two cards and there were two open spaces. Three of the four valid plays would win the game for the NPC. They choose the fourth nearly every time.
    (0)
    (The links below are sadly outdated. I hope to get around to updating things at some point.)
    Desynthesis Guide: http://tinyurl.com/ffxivdesynth

Airship Guide: http://tinyurl.com/ffxivairshipguide (\v/) Airship Quick Reference: http://tinyurl.com/ffxivairshipqr
    Airship Logsheet: http://tinyurl.com/ffxivairshiplog (/|\) Airship Builder Tool: http://tinyurl.com/ffxivairshipbuilder

Player
    Character
    N'yuuki Nekohmi
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by chidarake View Post
    random was the most annoying rule in 8 as well, I remember purposefully removing that rule from everywhere in the world.

your right though the npc's who use the random rule should have an extended deck so there is more variance to them, not just on the player themselves.

of course you could farm the high level cards first before playing the random rule matches then increase your deck after getting the cards, but of course unlike 8 you cant dispose of the low level cards once gained to give yourself that advantage.
    While I do personally have more than a few high level cards, due to deck restrictions in place when playing "Random" npc's, there is no way to increase the power of my deck through being dealt multiple said high level cards. The only outcome of this is that, with absolute certainty, my deck will decrease in power; "randomly" being by how much.

They should seriously just change the name of this rule to "Detriment" since "Random" would imply that I would have a chance at getting a better hand and that's just simply balderdash.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    N'yuuki Nekohmi
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyalia View Post
    It's annoying, but you can avoid it almost all the time. There are only three NPCs in the game that use the "Random" rule as a fixed rule: Rowena, Aurifort of the Three Clubs, and Landenel. If "Random" is chosen as a regional rule, just don't play NPCs in that area until the next day (regional rules change every day). And while it's annoying that it affects you and not the NPCs,
    This is true. Although the thought of having to wait instead of getting to "randomly" use multiple of my lovely high level cards kills me inside. @_@
    (0)

Character
    Indaki Sativa
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyalia View Post
    They choose the fourth nearly every time.

I almost wonder if the "Triple Triad AI is horrendous" is relative to how you play the NPC. I know this sounds ridiculous, because how could each NPC store individual PC patterns in an MMO, where literally hundreds of thousands of permutations would need to be recorded and stored....

Yeah this doesn't sound viable at all, EXCEPT!

I was beating Sezul on the first day and trying to farm cards from him. I was whooping his butt (if I do say so myself) consistently with a deck I built around his rules to bait him into positions that gave me a good chance to win. Then the day after the patch, I saw the post in General Discussion outlining the "90% chance rate to beating him" by using that starter deck set-up and the same moves every time...

I won 5/50 with that set-up. Near the bottom of his post he says that the strategy basically goes FUBAR if the NPC plays Biggs/Wedge at the bottom middle square to flip your dodo. Sezul flipped my dodo with Biggs/Wedge at the bottom every single time. My 5 wins only came when Sezul started off, and he followed the script outlined (which he doesn't do for me very frequently at all).

I began to wonder if he remembered me whooping him with a slightly better deck, and using my own reactive strategy as opposed to baiting him with the same move every single time. Obviously this sounds ridiculous lol. I went back to my own strategy and my good deck and continued whooping his butt
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Kaja Vesh
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 57
    There's an easy solution to this.

Simply require that NPCs have to follow the same deck restrictions as the rest of us do. If they still need to have such ridiculously high ranking cards for beginner level game then give them the appropriate amount of cards needed to be allowed to have those rarer cards in whatever quantity.

I really don't see why this was done the way it is other than to simply be lazy.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Kelios Worldbreaker
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 70
    Right now it's barely worth it to play an npc with the random or chaos rule. Both are more or less blatant cheating by the triple triad system as most times it gives you worthless * cards against an opponent with a 3, 4, and 5 * deck, whose card list is so small as to be not random whatsoever.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Neri Feralheart
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Two changes (either one or both) would make this rule far more "fair" when playing vs NPCs:

1. Give the NPCs more card in their collection. If they have multiple 2+ cards in their deck, give them at least 10 1*-2* cards in addition to their best 5. If they have multiple 3+ cards in their deck, give them at least 20 1*-2* cards in their deck in addition to their normal 3+ cards.

2. When randomizing your deck, one card is randomly chosen from your highest tier of cards (so if you had only 1 5* card, it would always be in the deck). The rest are chosen randomly from the highest tier you can use (so, all ** cards if you have 30-59 in your collection). This way your deck isn't weaker because of the Random rule, but it's still random.

Having change #2 in place for PvP matches would also balance things out, rather than having them be totally arbitrary. That way, you don't get a match where two people with the same collection are playing vs each other, and one has 5 * cards while the other has 4 ** and a *****.
    (2)
    (The links below are sadly outdated. I hope to get around to updating things at some point.)
    Desynthesis Guide: http://tinyurl.com/ffxivdesynth

Airship Guide: http://tinyurl.com/ffxivairshipguide (\v/) Airship Quick Reference: http://tinyurl.com/ffxivairshipqr
    Airship Logsheet: http://tinyurl.com/ffxivairshiplog (/|\) Airship Builder Tool: http://tinyurl.com/ffxivairshipbuilder

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast