Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Player
    Character
    Jeffro Wardinius
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    If it hasn't been explained elsewhere...I'm curious as to another aspect of the localization process.

What about the puns and descriptions given to things that are obviously more EN related? For example, the FATE "It's Not Lupus" is an obvious nod to the EN television show "House". While I know it's not only EN specific in terms of the audience of the show, I imagine it might not be as popular in Japan as it is here. Therefore, I am curious... is this FATE named something else in the JP version? Do the JP players sometimes scratch their heads and think "Why is it NOT Lupus? Who named this stupid FATE?".
    (0)
    Last edited by Jeffro; 02-27-2015 at 11:57 PM. Reason: grahmerz

Player
    Character
    Yololo Yolo
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 83
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
    If it hasn't been explained elsewhere...I'm curious as to another aspect of the localization process.

What about the puns and descriptions given to things that are obviously more EN related? For example, the FATE "It's Not Lupus" is an obvious nod to the EN television show "House". While I know it's not only EN specific in terms of the audience of the show, I imagine it might not be as popular in Japan as it is here. Therefore, I am curious... is this FATE named something else in the JP version? Do the JP players sometimes scratch their heads and think "Why is it NOT Lupus? Who named this stupid FATE?".
    Little things like that are different between JP and EN, yes; small, incidental things like quest/FATE names are often the whim of the localization editors (assuming they are not the same as the translators on a project, although the ability to be your own editor is a fairly rare skill and/or requires tons of experience, like Ferne has). It's often best to consult the original writing team before such changes to make sure you don't run roughshod over an in-game reference.

You do need to be careful to not go overboard with this sort of thing, as too much of it can spoil the feel of a game (and of course, how much is too much can very much be an "eye of the beholder" thing :V). But done right, most players will enjoy it and a number of localization houses engage in it to various degrees.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Recaldy Arrowsmith
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    Very nice read. Love reading blurbs here and there about how the industry works. Post as much as you want. We love reading it however uninteresting it may seem.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Jeffro Wardinius
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    I myself love all the puns and references to other things that show up. If only they would utilize more memes or put Doge on a Leveplate.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Poki Awandah
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
    I myself love all the puns and references to other things that show up. If only they would utilize more memes or put Doge on a Leveplate.
    The less memes this game regurgitates the better, in my opinion. Blizzard kind of went full retard on that stuff. You never go full retard. (Ha)

I like the references in this game, although I do wonder how many people even get some of them. My favorite example is "One Prince"; I'm 99% sure I know what that's a reference to, and nobody I know got it before I told them.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Almalexia Indoril
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by PokingAround View Post
    The less memes this game regurgitates the better, in my opinion. Blizzard kind of went full retard on that stuff. You never go full retard. (Ha)

I like the references in this game, although I do wonder how many people even get some of them. My favorite example is "One Prince"; I'm 99% sure I know what that's a reference to, and nobody I know got it before I told them.
    Not sure I do, so I'll tell you maybe for now. If you'd like, we can go ahead and discuss the matter for a while. A few hours is all I have, though.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Fusionx Griever
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 60
    First Bears, now we need to find a way to add Rainbow Kittens into the game.

I have no doubt that Koji can make it happen.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Lucael Shikaree
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 60
    Well about localization... the change I find inexplicabile is the term "Primal" instead of 蕃神 (Banshin). I must say I don't speak and don't know japanese language, but still there is a lot of difference in the two terms, english and japanese.

Primal: Being first in time; original; primeval. Of first importance; primary.
    Banshin: foreign deities

If this is correct in the english version you lost any "deities" and "foreign" reference. Plus, in the japanese version usually they use "banshin" term before the Primal name (I can remember well hearing "Banshin Garuda" a lot) and it seems to being used like a prefix to show respect/fear regarding the Primals.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Daii Mercury
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucael_Shikaree View Post
    Primal: primeval or barbaric/wild.
    Banshin: barbaric deities
    Slight correctiopn here You were thinking of 蕃神 which IS pronounced "banshin" but the client uses 蛮神. I assume the dictionary you used would point out both meanings are equal but, if you take each character individually (which is common in Japanese) it makes more sense.

Other words containing 蛮 lending itself to barbaric:

蛮境 Barbaric Lands
    蛮語 Barbarian's language
    蛮人 Barbarian or Savage

So this leaves us with:
    蛮 Savage
    神 God(s)
    (5)

Lodestone: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1729819/
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernehalwes View Post
    While translation is a large part of our job, what is not known by many is that the EN localization team plays a large role in the creation of a lot of in-game terminology and lore which is then localized back into Japanese (with liberties often taken by the Japanese team so that the text might appear more appealing to their target Japanese audience).

Player
    Character
    Jeffro Wardinius
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusionx View Post
    First Bears, now we need to find a way to add Rainbow Kittens into the game.

I have no doubt that Koji can make it happen.
    Nyan Cat mounts please. KTHX
    (1)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5