Player
    Character
    Almalexia Indoril
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukha View Post
    You're definitely not alone, a lot of us disapprove of how liberal the localization team is with the localization. I've expressed my desire for a pre-localization version of the script to be made available to select alongside the various text options several times.
    Man, this gets right back to that awful thread about Midgardsormr. I greatly dislike how people fixate on some mythical and pure "non-localized" version of the game, as if every new patch is equal parts Ted Woolsey and 4Kids.

Move to Japan and play the JP client if you hate English so much; that's what the localization team did. They must really hate English, too, the way they use "must needs" like it's going out of style.

It has gone out of style.
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Gojira Kaiju
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 61
    Personally, I'd like to know what's up with the title for racing a Chocobo race for the 1st time (Bug Boy/Bug Girl), my only guess is that was either a mistranslation of some kind, or possible a reference to something like a 1940's Horseracing term that was almost forgotten by most people that weren't either teaching history or history buffs of some sort, in either case, I think a title that would be more recognizable to the fans as being specifically related to either racing or chocobo's to most of the current fans and player may be a more appropriate choice.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Quince Viville
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by ChoasRex View Post
    Personally, I'd like to know what's up with the title for racing a Chocobo race for the 1st time (Bug Boy/Bug Girl), my only guess is that was either a mistranslation of some kind, or possible a reference to something like a 1940's Horseracing term that was almost forgotten by most people that weren't either teaching history or history buffs of some sort, in either case, I think a title that would be more recognizable to the fans as being specifically related to either racing or chocobo's to most of the current fans and player may be a more appropriate choice.
    I submit to you the title "Boco's Buddy"
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by ChoasRex View Post
    my only guess is that [bug boy] was either a mistranslation of some kind, or possible a reference to something like a 1940's Horseracing term that was almost forgotten by most people that weren't either teaching history or history buffs of some sort
    It's a reference to ... bug boys. It's all horse racing lingo, from "bug boy" to "the sport of kings sultans."
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Will Brannigan
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 80
    The only titles I really wish we had from the Japanese client are White Knight and Bloody Warrior in place of Meat Shield and Meat Axe. Yeah, I know that meat shield has been around forever as a term and has a lot of presence in MMORPGs, but White Knight/Bloody Warrior are just cooler. Meat Shield/Axe are goofy.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Aisu Strong
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Brannigan View Post
    The only titles I really wish we had from the Japanese client are White Knight and Bloody Warrior in place of Meat Shield and Meat Axe. Yeah, I know that meat shield has been around forever as a term and has a lot of presence in MMORPGs, but White Knight/Bloody Warrior are just cooler. Meat Shield/Axe are goofy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgk-lA12FBk
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Bisera Cecilina
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 76
    I, for one think the localization team does a great job with FFXIV.
    As someone who is bilingual and has had to translate from one language to another, in my case, Serbian to English and vice-versa it is not an easy task.

People who complain about how "bad" the localization team is should go and try do what they do, even for a day, and then come here and qq.
    Seriously, even when you don't get "fancy" with it translation is tough.
    (10)

Character
    I''''''''l I''''''''l
    World
    Phantom
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    whenever I see a post from Fernehalwes I know it is time to read a big wall of text during half of an hour, however, never disappointed!

I don't find English that cool, (And not my native language), but, I understand a lot the fact that for many many Japanese persons it can sound epic, just as Japanese all around sounds epic for me and whenever I can use it, even romanized cheapy form (Only knowledge I have of it) i do!

PS: English is not cool (for me), but, we have to admit many of the dialogues we have in the EN version are epic, thanks for it!
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Spartan Krieger
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Thank you Fernehalwes, as always your posts are the most likeable and pleasant to read of all!

I understand your explanation and it makes sense, so now I am curious as to why certain Ixali Tribe quests where you need to /say a sentence to an NPC, such sentence is not the same across all languages.

For example, in Natalan the EN client users have to say "Amid the Flowers", but that isn't the same in French (at least). Could you please shed some light on why is this the case? It doesn't feel like there is a lore-centric rationale, in the end those sentences are pretty... disconnected?

Thank you!
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Grimm Grandiron
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 60
    I really enjoy your flair and flavor in Eorzea, Fern and team. The character you're able to inject into the script, and by extension, the world of Final Fantasy XIV has been something something well-savored.

Keep throwing those pearls.
    (5)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast