Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90

Austerities of Wind

I noticed two odd lines in this quest and figured I'd throw them out there just in case they were conflicts.

You are familiar with the Floating City of Nym in outer La Noscea? As you might imagine, the aspect of air is entirely dominant in the area of those suspended isles.
    This should be wind, no?

For Garuda-Egi, that role is unleashing magic to strike down distant foes. The Allagan texts described equal parts joy and apprehension at how faithfully the summoned being displayed the original primal's volatile disposition.
    This is mostly just an issue of awkward wording. The way the second sentence uses the phrases "the summoned deity" and "volatile disposition," it's easy to interpret it as the subject being linked back to Garuda-Egi from the first sentence, but I believe the line is just meant to be interpreted as saying that the Allag were impressed how faithfully an egi, any egi, exhibited the behavior of its primal origin. The issue here is that it may give the mistaken impression that Garuda existed at all in the Third Astral Era, which (as far as we know) is not true, lest she be categorized as an "Elder Primal."

That said, Belias-Egi was quite similar to Ifrit-Egi as avatars of Inferno, so perhaps Y'mhitra was referring to Allagan texts speaking specifically of an avatar of Gales from the Third Astral Era, one that had a similarly volatile disposition. If you wanted to tell me a little bit about that primal, I mean, I wouldn't be averse to hearing about it at a-no, wait come back! Was it Chaos, the wind-aspected Esper from FFXII that existed alongside Belias!? Or perhaps Quezacotl, the tornado-casting lightning summon from VIII with a symbol on its chest not unlike the Chaos' horns!? <desperately waving microphone> Is that why Garuda-Egi looks so much like a Quetzal!? Is it at all connected to why the Ixal have mesoamerican themes!? <gets door slammed in face>
    (15)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 02-27-2015 at 12:55 AM.

These two lines have been revised to reduce the risk of misinterpretation. As for the rest--come now, you don't really want us to just give you your answers, do you? Not when there are so many other fun and interesting ways to go about it...
    (21)

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvinoobus View Post
    you don't really want us to just give you your answers, do you?
    What, you mean to say that making game content is a better wa— oh, right, that is rather important.

Pleased to be looking forward to it, it is.

Thanks, as always!
    (10)
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Raveen Raines
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    Are summoner's evil? Are we just WoW warlocks? I've always loved previous final fantasy games where summoners were these rare mysterious powerful benevolent casters bent on saving the world.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Thosinebb Ahldhyltsyn
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Sequora View Post
    Are summoner's evil? Are we just WoW warlocks? I've always loved previous final fantasy games where summoners were these rare mysterious powerful benevolent casters bent on saving the world.
    In this game, Summoners were created by the ancient Allag empire before their demise as a way to counter Primals (think of them as "fighting fire with fire", kind of way).

Since they proved to be very effective at doing so, they were praised and respected among the empire's ranks.

Of course, ever since their fall, the profession itself became lost to the ages until the Sons of Saint Coinach found both, ancient scripts as well as soul stones over a dig near the Crystal Tower.

But to answer your question, not really (unless you think that subjugating Primals is evil).

They were created as a counter-measure, thus, they could've been seen as a force of "good" back then, but given this game's penchant for making us realize that no job is inherently good or evil, as much as it depends on the user (just as we've seen as the parallel between the PC and Tristan)...
    (0)
    Last edited by Exodus-E; 02-27-2015 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Minor editing