Player
    Character
    Lazy Goat
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Botanist Lv 50

La Noscean Oranges.

I've been trying like the dickens to harvest these in order to level up my Culinarian, and I've been logging so such, Botanist ended up being my new main now. The reason I was being so consistent with leveling Botanist was that I figured the higher the level I am, the easier it would be for me to harvest these dang oranges. Right? Right...?

...No.

In 12 levels, I have harvested 200+ Cinderfoot Olives and approximately 24 oranges. What's with the discrepancy between olives and oranges? Is there something I am not doing right?

Please help a brotha out.

P.S. Anyone on Saronia need Cinderfoot olives?
    (2)
    "Our vision is more obstructed by what we think we know than by our lack of knowledge."

~Krister Stendahl

Player
    Character
    Thal Icebound
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Be sure to log on the third notch from the top of your slider bar. If anything, go higher if you're getting too many olives.

And if you think olives are a problem, just wait till you encounter the Gridanian Faerie Apple.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Poppa Woody
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    best place to harvest oranges is near iron lake if you are high enough, if not i suggest skull valley.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Lazy Goat
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Botanist Lv 50
    Thanks, guys!
    (0)
    "Our vision is more obstructed by what we think we know than by our lack of knowledge."

~Krister Stendahl

Player
    Character
    Kyant Nryasi
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    those ones by iron lake are grade 5 though, so you need to be like r35 to log there
    (0)

Player

After a grind session at Camp Iron Lake, I have 81 oranges in my inventory. Too bad you're not on my server as these will be going to the NPC for 33 gil each...

I would recommend grinding Botanist up to 31/32 and then trying Iron Lake. That may sound like a huge hassle, but:

1) Botanist levels extremely quickly now with the leve/SP changes.
    2) While leveling, and especially while grinding at Iron Lake, you will be bringing in tons of items like Faerie Apples, Tomatoes, Cloves, and Midland Basil, which will all come in handy as you rank Cul.
    3) If you ever decide to take up Alch, Weav, or Carp, you will have penty of dyes/feathers/logs to work with, and if you don't, you will have a lot of material to sell, which can continue to fund your Cul grind sessions.

Goodluck.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Lazy Goat
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Botanist Lv 50
    Ahh, so I have a long way to go to get those Oranges consistently. This is good to know, so I don't have to keep wondering. The light at the end of the tunnel is far indeed, but at least there is a light!

I'm not too worried about grinding to 31/32 from 12. I'm a patient man, and for some reason, I enjoy doing monotonous things.

One thing... when you said to sell them, do you mean sell them to the NPC? Or should I try to hustle these logs and olives to the masses?

Thanks for your help, Aiko.
    (0)

~Krister Stendahl

Player
    Character
    Thal Icebound
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockapotapoulos View Post
    Ahh, so I have a long way to go to get those Oranges consistently. This is good to know, so I don't have to keep wondering. The light at the end of the tunnel is far indeed, but at least there is a light!

I'm not too worried about grinding to 31/32 from 12. I'm a patient man, and for some reason, I enjoy doing monotonous things.

One thing... when you said to sell them, do you mean sell them to the NPC? Or should I try to hustle these logs and olives to the masses?

Thanks for your help, Aiko.
    Do some item searches on the Ul'dah market wards and get an idea for how much things are going for, then decide if it's worth selling.
    If no one is selling what you want to put up, you may find yourself with a niche market.
    (1)

Player

Quote Originally Posted by Stockapotapoulos View Post
    Always sell "mask logs."

Carpenter is all about grinding out masks. Most Carps go Willow masks to 20 --> Oak masks to 30 --> Yew to 40 --> Walnut to 50, which means they are looking to buy Willow/Oak/Yew/Walnut in huge quantities. Most of your profit as a Botanist will come from Oak/Yew/Walnut logs.

"Low logs" should probably be NPCed, but be sure to check the prices on your server. Lauan NPC for 210, Ash for 510, Maple for 330, Elm I forget.

For the other "misc logs" it will again depend on your server's economy. Pine logs sell for a decent price but more slowly than Oak. Mahogany logs sell for a lot but they don't move very quickly and are difficult to bring down in the early levels. Chestnut sell at a decent speed/price as well. Cedar is usually a toss up for NPC vs sell in wards.

All branches (Ash, Arrowwood, etc) should probably be NPCed now that they have been replaced by Dark Matter. Some are useful for making arrows, but you'll need to check the prices on your server. Some of the branches NPC for more than 200 gil each, so you can make upwards of 3-5k per branch type after an extended grind session. These aren't your primary focus as a Botanist and should be considered a bonus.

Bamboo/Rattan Lumber should be NPCed.

Keep Maple Sap (Maple Syrup), Belladonna (Sleeping Powder/Reviving Salts), Mandrake (Maddening Powder), Mistletoe, Ginseng and Sage (Potions) if you plan on leveling Alchemist at any point (which you should if you plan on crafting at all, as Hand of the Gods at Rank 36 is one of the best crafting abilities in the game). Otherwise, NPC them.

Dyer's Moss (all varieties) should be kept for getting Alch to 36 or sold to aspiring Alchemists in the wards.

Certain spices (Cloves, Basil, Saffron) and vegetables/fruits (Oranges, Tomatoes, Apples) you will want to hold on to for your Cul.

Flax sells very well in the wards and should not be NPCed.

Keep Crow/Wildfowl feathers if you want to rank Weaver off fletchlings, otherwise NPC all feathers.

Everything else should be tossed for space/NPCed, especially Acorns/Walnuts, which I hate.

Note - at some point you will have to decide if your priority as a Botanist is 1) skilling up quickly, 2) gathering specific mats, or 3) making a profit.

If it's 1), go to Camp Iron Lake at 31/32 and only leave to do Botanist Leves. If it's 2), use the logging/harvesting maps in this guide (scroll down and click on the "Show Spoiler" buttons) to find the best area near your current grade/level). If it's 3), do Yew/Oak around Camp Glory, or Yew/Walnut around Cedarwood.

Goodluck.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Lazy Goat
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Botanist Lv 50
    Aiko, you have no idea how appreciative I am. You don't. I can keep responding to your posts with thank yous, but that really doesn't do it justice.

If I may speak my language for a second, basically... this is some real juicy ass info you hooked me up with. You best believe this is genuine, because when I start typing improperly, that means there is feeling coming out. At this point, I don't care if my punctuation and grammar is proper, 'cause it's coming from the heart. Real talk.
    (0)

~Krister Stendahl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast