Player
    Character
    X'amashi Tia
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60

Strange Stuttering

A number of times this afternoon, and a single time a week ago I experienced an issue I hadn't seen before:

I'd be playing just fine, and then my FPS would drop to a single frame every few seconds and not recover. It started when I was in either Shiva HM or my FC plot in the Goblet. Teleporting, changing zones, going to a private instance did not resolve anything.

I checked my game system settings window, and it was still showing my game running at 60 fps (I have it limited down to that), and CPU/Memory/Disk/Network usage on my task manager were all low.

On the last instance I checked my send/received and noticed that sent would stay around 0-30ish instead of the normal range in the mid-hundreds. Received was as normal, in the thousands range.

The other weird symptom is that whatever I was watching at the time (same effect on Netflix and Hulu) would stop. I at first thought that my browser might be the issue, so I closed that but the problem in ffxiv continued. However, when I close FFXIV all of my other network problems went away. This is a first for me; I have a decent connection (34 Mb/s down, 8 up) through TWC and I almost always have one of the aforementioned services running with FFXIV with no issue.

Each time I'd restart FFXIV the problem would go away immediately, and stay gone for a while (maybe as long as an hour, I didn't time it. Late this evening it was gone completely without any further incident.

I play on Gilgamesh (NA) and connect via a wired connection on PC, my character at the time was X'amashi Tia.

PS: I didn't experience any error codes or crashes; I had to disconnect/quit myself---but a number of times when this would happen to me another player would usually be experiencing the bug where they get stuck loading into the instance and the barrier won't go down (this was Shiva HM at the time), if it's relevant.
    (0)
    Last edited by Shem; 01-26-2015 at 04:48 PM.

Player
    Character
    Sekhmet Mubarak
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 60
    In regards to your first problem, I recommend this:

A lot of people have been noticing crashes in areas such as CT and ST. People have also crashed while teleporting, alt tabbing, or doing hunts. On the Square Enix forums, someone has figured out that if you turn on LOD Streaming, the crashes seem to go away. It mostly affects AMD cards in the 7xxx/R9 2xx line.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...formance-Issue

http://img2.finalfantasyxiv.com/acci...f5e3a14784.png

Turn on those options. Most of us have noticed the crashes, memory leaks, and frame rate drops have gone away. If you are experiencing these issues, I would suggest trying this solution.
    This is an old issue that Square-Enix has yet to actually resolve.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    X'amashi Tia
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    Thanks for the suggestion! It has yet to reoccur beyond the 5 or so instances yesterday, but I'll keep that setting in mind if it happens again. My card isn't an AMD, it's an nvidia GTX 780, but it certainty doesn't hurt to try : )
    (0)