Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Thosinebb Ahldhyltsyn
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90

Some revelations about the Ascians (Patch 2.5 MAJOR SPOILERS)

So...now that the hype is starting to settle down a bit, here's some interesting things I've noted about the patch related to the Ascians, among them:

- Nabriales was kind of the prima-donna among them (wanting to rise above them all to be his lord's right hand), suggesting that they're not quite as "hive-minded" as we were led to believe.

- Lahabrea and Elidibus were noted to "being of this world" unlike the rest of the Ascians.

- Nabriales, aside from revealing about Lousoix's staff true function also mentions about the horn they have in their possession since 1.0 (could it mean that he's actually Travanchet?).

- Elidibus actually wants Minfilia alive/unharmed (personal reasons? or something else entirely?)

Very interesting all around...although this does reveal quite a bit, this also rises a lot of questions regarding their structure and overall purpose as a group.

Thoughts?
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Mholi'to Lihzeh
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus-E View Post
    - Nabriales, aside from revealing about Lousoix's staff true function also mentions about the horn they have in their possession since 1.0 (could it mean that he's actually Travanchet?).
    I believe he was talking about the horn on top of Tupsimati.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Lahabrea and Elidibus were noted to "being of this world" unlike the rest of the Ascians.
    I caught that, too. I don't really know what to make of it quite yet. Even Lahabrea spoke of this world's true form. Could Nabriales be so much older? Or perhaps from another?

Could it mean that he's actually Travanchet?
    Though the lore team has been tight lipped about most things Ascian, we we able to get confirmation at Fan Fest that Travanchet was an underling, similar to the black-masked hyuran mages such as the one you kill in your city introduction. He was an Elezen whose name was Travanchet, whose body was "dark crystalled." It's possible that the specific mention of the horn and tablet may have been a nod to 1.0 players that remember the Limsa Lominsa story but don't read lore forum posts and interviews. It's also possible that it foreshadows the appearance of other like-fashioned relics...

Elidibus actually wants Minfilia alive/unharmed
    This is an another interesting claim by Nabriales. I'm not quite sure what it entails, but if you take what the game has told you at face value, you can make a guess that the Ascians just don't like when people go off-script. They clearly have their own individual beliefs and preferences, and they clearly don't all like and/or trust one another implicitly, but they do tend to work together and report to one another. Even when Elidibus went AWOL to speak with Minfilia and the Warrior of Light out of (what he claimed to be) sheer curiosity, the others got on his case about it.

A couple more things I noticed
    • Like Lahabrea, a read glyph appears over Nabirales face when he attacks. Also like Lahabrea, the glyph is a small part of the larger sigil associated with the Esper tied to the Scion of Light that bore the Ascian's name in Final Fantasy XII, Cúchulainn, the Impure.
    • We visit Ascian Hall, aka the Chrysalis. After the fight is over, if you move the camera just right to look over the edge, you can see a swirling mass of light and clouds that looks a bit like a galaxy. Call me crazy if you will, but I'm wondering if perhaps this be the opposite side of the Starshower seen in Hydaelyn's visions that was seen in Eorzea in 1562...
    (7)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 01-22-2015 at 04:54 AM.

Player
    Character
    Doranaux Wavemet
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
    EDIT INCOMING
    I can't stand this waiting :x
    (2)
    A true paladin... will sheathe his sword.

Player
    Character
    Magis Luagis
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 60
    • We visit Ascian Hall, aka the Chrysalis. After the fight is over, if you move the camera just right to look over the edge, you can see a swirling mass of light and clouds that looks a bit like a galaxy. Call me crazy if you will, but I'm wondering if perhaps this be the opposite side of the Starshower seen in Hydaelyn's visions that was seen in Eorzea in 1562...
    That's an interesting take on it, and we can see that Ascians do have the ability to call down starfall/meteor. Maybe some had fallen through the rift?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Taisai Jin
    World
    Twintania
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 64
    It's also possible that it foreshadows the appearance of other like-fashioned relics...
    I am convinced that this is going to explain Free Company Primal Summoning. The horn on Tupsimati certainly gave Lou more control over his summoning than any of the tribes displayed, he not only withheld the Twelves full power, but controlled it to try and reforge Dalamud. Meanwhile every other summoning we have seen just has the Primal popping out of the sky and attempting murder. I'm imagining we'll take Tupsimati (or another such relic) and use it to simply bring Ifrit in to do Hellfire before sending him off in a similar sort of fashion.

Wondering about the origin of these horns now, Tupsimatis was said to be "passed down from antiquity" (from the anniversary stuff). I wonder if each City-State has/had one? I know it's not happening now that we get Alexander in 3.0, but I always liked the concept of the Twelve being Alexander split apart (ala IX) to protect his followers. Each horn would then be similar to the 4 city crystals IX had.

- Lahabrea and Elidibus were noted to "being of this world" unlike the rest of the Ascians.
    I wonder how literal this might be... I can see them simply meaning "of this era", meaning Lahabrea and Elidibus are simply Echo users who "ascended" somewhat recently, I imagine that's what Elidibus has in mind for Minfilia too. If it really is an alien invasion plot (hi Final Fantasy IV and IX), then it certainly makes sense for Elidibus to be an emissary, though Lahabrea an overlord?

Makes me wonder if "The Rejoining" is simply this;
    (1)
    Last edited by Nalien; 01-22-2015 at 05:16 AM.

Player
    Character
    Doranaux Wavemet
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80

Thoughts?
    My first thought was that Lahabrea was possessing Thancred during our encounters with him and Thancred is most defiantly a "being of this world" so maybe because his host was free to come and go despite the light's protection, then so was Lahabrea. If this is the case Elibibus could also be possessing someone.
    (4)
    A true paladin... will sheathe his sword.

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Magis View Post
    Maybe some had fallen through the rift?
    The starshower is mostly seen in Hydaelyn's visions, but it was an actual event that occurred in 1562. From what I can tell, it was shortly after the Battle of Silvertear Skies, because the starshower appeared over Ul'dah just after Warburton (Minfilia's father) stole Imperial research on primals to deliver to Eorzea. My guess is that he knew why the Empire moved on Silvertear and knew the implications of the battle's failure. The most likely scenario I can think of so far is that it was the opening of a massive Voidgate and the intrusion of the Ascian overlords, just because Hydaelyn shows it to you over and over as if saying, This is your enemy. This must be stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalien View Post
    I am convinced that this is going to explain Free Company Primal Summoning.
    Very possible! Though, Iceheart reveals another possibility. As Echo users ourselves, perhaps we can play host to the primal's essence. Can you imagine a Summoner finally getting not only the chance to call the Ifrit, but to, for a moment be Ifrit? They did say they had to wait to implement the mechanic until the lore allowed it.

simply bring Ifrit in to do Hellfire before sending him off in a similar sort of fashion.
    This is the part that I get hung up on. Louisoix had no way of stopping the physical manifestation of aether-chugging primals taking the form of the Twelve. He planned to kill himself to interrupt the ritual and prevent it - the only thing that stopped him was Bahamut. It's easy to miss that even if Cartenau didn't play out the way it did, he wasn't coming home.

Wondering about the origin of these horns now, Tupsimatis was said to be "passed down from antiquity" (from the anniversary stuff)
    The materials of the staff that the Ascian attempted to help into the Sahagin's hands was from "an ancient marine society" whose language only a few, learned scholars still understood. The staff may very well have been from a previous Era's society. Another interesting puzzle piece is that the language on the tablet has some connections to the Sahagin themselves. Makes you wonder if there's some subtle hint about beast tribe origins, there.

I always liked the concept of the Twelve being Alexander split apart (ala IX) to protect his followers. Each horn would then be similar to the 4 city crystals IX had.
    That's actually part of my current theory of the primals, that the six great elemental spirits, or whatever you'd like to call them, are at their core, in their essence, facets of Hydaelyn's power given many names over the ages. Fire's spirit living strong in desert societies (Azeyma, Nald'thal, Ifrit, Belias, etc.), Water's spirit living strong in marine societies (Thaliak, Nymeia, Leviatian, etc.). Harnessed by people blessed of Hydaelyn's power, they become deiform themselves and fight for the light. When this ritual is corrupted by Ascians, however, it summons them without anchor and creates what are essentially massively powerful rogue elementals shaped by zeal. Like I said, though, just a theory... still working on whether to build that house of cards or wait for more information, lol. Still, between Urianger's comments and Minfilia's powerpoint presentation, and the idea that Midgardsormr may have made his covenant to Hydaelyn in such a way that the world of man remembered it as him being created by the gods of water and earth (Althyk and Nymeia), it's starting to look like a viable theory.
    (2)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 01-22-2015 at 05:34 AM.
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Orophin Calmcacil
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    I think this has probably been mentioned before, but there were 14 pedestals (for lack of a better term) cascading around Zodiark. If we reference the Ivalice games, we only know of 12 beings (13 if you count Serpentarius) associated with the Zodiac.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Alisette Dumont
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Orophin View Post
    I think this has probably been mentioned before, but there were 14 pedestals (for lack of a better term) cascading around Zodiark. If we reference the Ivalice games, we only know of 12 beings (13 if you count Serpentarius) associated with the Zodiac.
    Could one of them be for Zodiark himself, figuratively?
    Or a "guest pedestal", for when someone get summoned to their realm maybe?
    (0)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast