Player
    Character
    Kesh Caoimhin
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 34

Suggestion: Possible way to experience the old-world quest lines?

Edit: Thanks to OlyverW, I'm going to use a workaround for the character limit. I hope this is okay.

I think it would be a fun idea to allow players to undergo some sort of quest to experience the old world. Not in terms of mechanics, just in terms of going to the old "layout" and experiencing the old world's content, from bosses to quests and such. Obviously the old world had major problems, this would essentially just be a history lesson deal.

As for a story hook, I think the "echo" would suffice. Perhaps someone could tell your player that they need to see the final days of the 6th era for themselves, and uses your "echo" to send you into the body of an adventurer. As such, from a story perspective you'd "start" in that nation's original "starting cinematic" and go from there (though with your levels, equipment and such intact, making the early parts a breeze and get the players to that meteor questline as fast as possible).

You could "return" from this echo to the present day at any time, so players need not be stuck there, and it would be purely optional, a side quest. Players would only pursue it if they wanted to, and FCs only if they wanted to add old world raids to their rotation. Once the quest is finished, maybe some big reveal like "it really was you, you relived your past just now but forgot everything after the calamity", but maybe not, either way you'd still be taking part and seeing it all for yourself. After the "echo", the player can still "return" to that world any time they wish, not for story reasons really but just for the sake of keeping the old raids going. Yes, maps were much bigger, but there are ways to code the game so that massive areas only stress a system as far as the game actually renders at any one time (other modern MMOs like WOW manage this well enough).

Ultimately, I just don't like seeing past storylines die out, never to be experienced again. This would allow newer players like me to experience all that, and a good nod to what came before. Again, this isn't a revival of the old systems, the gameplay would function in a modern way, it's just old content I'm requesting. What do you think of this idea?
    (2)
    Last edited by DarkJaguar; 12-23-2014 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Adding content

2. 12-19-2014 01:02 AM

3. 12-19-2014 01:03 AM

4. 12-19-2014 01:03 AM

Player
    Character
    Oly'ver White
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkJaguar View Post
    character limit
    After you create your first post you can bypass the character limit by editing the post

Sounds good as I only started playing in 2.0 so I don't know the whole story from 1.0 ( I know you get the gist from the 2.0 story line ) but it would be cool to see how it started
    (0)
    Last edited by OlyverW; 12-19-2014 at 01:41 AM.

Player
    Character
    Max Grant
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 70
    I think that would be awesome. I don't really need to see the old world but story then into the battles would be cool.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Almalexia Indoril
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 70
    Bosses and dungeons that were in 1.0 were remastered for 2.0. The only unique thing they could pull from 1.0 would be classic Darnus, which I wouldn't mind one bit with the new combat system (though they poached some skills already for t9).
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Enkidoh Roux
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    It won't happen - the original nation storylines and the Path of the Twelve story were effectively abandoned by SE and completely reworked as ARR's main scenario, so they would just be going across the same ground more or less.

However, 1.0's Seventh Umbral Era story was always stated as being a one-off that was never to be repeated, as it was to be a thank you to those fans who stuck with the game in it's darkest hour. Certain aspects of the Seventh Umbral Era storyline do show up in ARR's storyline via Echo scenes anyway, but the actual quest lines are gone I'm afraid.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kesh Caoimhin
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 34
    Yeah, I understand they are gone. I'm asking for no less than a reversal on that position, for the sake of history if nothing else.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tea Mysidia
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Rogue Lv 90
    Yes, definitely. It's hard to make sense of things when you only got to see half of the picture. True, those who could afford subscribing to an MMO during legacy should be in a privilidged position but I want to see what it is like to have a real central villain like Darnus, to fight with Louisouix to fully understand the significance of his disappearance, and to see Eorzea before the calamity to fully grasp its destructive effect.
    (0)