Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Lollie Ondoreil
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 80
    This was done purely to gate access to flare, rmt's preferred dungeon spell.

The comment about smn, you have to beat the normal mode primal before the quests flags, unless they changed it since I ran into this issue with garuda 2months ago on an alt.
    (2)

Character
    Miles Saintborough
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Might be the form of "balancing" as well; when you use a job crystal, your stats get a nice boost. People could have grind to get their desired job and skills, and then blow through the main content with little effort, even with the level sync.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Darkobra Kage
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by semc View Post
    Exactly, I don't get it either. I don't see the need for the change, and any google search I do brings up people asking the same question. The answers are usually, "I don't know, but its probably due to RMT spammers and BLM's doing WP" or something similar. So I'm asking here, on the official forum, "Why?" Because Reddit (the place others are asking) doesn't know either and I wouldn't trust them anyway.
    If you're not going to trust them, you're going to have a far harder time trusting anything here.

Fact is, nobody knows until a dev speaks out. It's pointless and confusing. It doesn't personally affect me as I've done it all but it still baffles me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pterois View Post
    I believe it is not to prevent RMT's but to make them easier to identify.

And for the OP... you dont understand because you have not played this game long enough to understand... you will start to see sooner or later though.
    I've been online gaming for 15 years and actually been involved with the RMT hunting process in other games. I can tell you that this will not slow them down. This will not make them easier to track. The massive amounts of gold being sent to a common trader and to unrelated people that haven't even been on the friends list does that. If you think people not doing a quest is going to flag them, you've not been gaming long enough to understand.
    (1)
    Last edited by Darkobra; 11-19-2014 at 02:54 AM.

Player
    Character
    Yonko Chao
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkobra View Post
    I've been online gaming for 15 years and actually been involved with the RMT hunting process in other games. I can tell you that this will not slow them down. This will not make them easier to track. The massive amounts of gold being sent to a common trader and to unrelated people that haven't even been on the friends list does that. If you think people not doing a quest is going to flag them, you've not been gaming long enough to understand.
    Its not 1 quest through it is all the quests up to and including that quest. I have no exceptions that this will stop RMT cold but it will make it just a little harder to do while not actually hurting real players than I'm all for it.

Even if the change means it takes RMT 8.5 hours to hit level 50 instead of 8 hours that is still .5 hours they can't be farming.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Rhel Sage
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 60
    Thank you. And all the others who responded.

By the same logic that I can read Linux patch notes and have explanations of files/changes made in the patch notes themselves, and I don't need to be a black hat to understand what and why something was changed; I shouldn't have to go hunt down RMT or hacking forums to understand why changes in FF14 were made. Especially something as opaque as altering the job quest requirement a year after release. Its not that it affects me, and its not that I'm angry. I'm just confused and I want answers! I have one character, this doesn't affect me, but its so bizarre a change to need a quest that you should have ALREADY DONE on the way to 30 that it stands out as wtf.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Rhel Sage
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 60
    Its like this to me: I've read Microsoft patch notes, and WoW patch notes, Nintendo 3ds firmware notes, and patch notes for every game I've ever played, and for every single one of these companies its always the same "we're fixing something, but you have to be breaking the game/hardware/rules/etc in order to understand what or why something was changed. The first thing I think is "Why?" followed by "Who did this affect?"

For example, lets take the latest Nintendo 3DS firmware patch:
    Version 9.2.0-20U available via wireless Internet connection includes the following improvements:
    Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience
    But a few searches later brings up a site where people are complaining that their flash cart no longer works. Just a little more professionally worded statement like 'continued efforts to block pirated games on flashcarts' would sound less stupid than the official notes.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ampersand Kai
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    This is just how SE rolls with patch notes. Partly, they're just terrible at communication in general. Robotic passive voice sentence construction, wording & translation that can easily be misinterpreted, sloppy proof-reading. And partly, they're paranoid about giving away too much information. They don't go into detail about innocuous game mechanics, because knowing how things are supposed to work just makes it more obvious when they don't work that way (see: incorrect/incomplete tooltips all over the damn place). And they don't go into any detail about exploits they fix, because they don't want anyone getting ideas for other exploits, or seeing just how big any given exploit was to begin with.
    (1)
    10 posts per page is only the default setting; it is bad, and you should feel bad if you haven't changed it.
    Forum quirks and features explained: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/161238

Player
    Character
    Syanonn Rias
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 80
    ZOMG game company changed something and doesn't explain why, /quitgame

wut?
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Y'kayah Tia
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Bixby View Post
    I wouldn't discount the added roadblock for RMT, but it may also be something they did for consistency. The SMN job quest doesn't make much sense if you haven't beaten Ifrit:
    Beyond making sense, the SMN job quest isn't (and wasn't before this new change) even available until you've beaten Ifrit, nor is the SMN level 35 quest available until you've beaten Titan. (I assume it's the same with Garuda at level 45, but I haven't actually gotten to that one.) The former isn't much of an issue, as the job quest comes 10 levels after the Ifrit fight, but The Navel (Titan fight) is a level 34 quest, and it's easy to get more than one level above where you're at in the story (especially if you spam Brayflox a bunch of times 'cause it's fun and drops cool gear ).

Anyway, as for getting up through Slyph Management to unlock jobs, it's another case of getting through a level 20 story quest by the time you're 30 (or very shortly thereafter). Whether RMT had anything to do with their reasoning or not, it's not a bad idea to have an occasional requirement that you keep up with the story to within ten levels or so of where you're at.
    (1)

Character
    Sky Lionheart
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 51
    Quote Originally Posted by semc View Post
    Just a little more professionally worded statement like 'continued efforts to block pirated games on flashcarts' would sound less stupid than the official notes.
    Maybe, just maybe, 90% of the playerbase don't understand certain jargon so they decide to keep the patch notes simple.
    (0)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast