Armorer Lv 90

Carraway's Guide to the New Archer: 1.18 and Beyond

How2BRD the Carraway Way
    by Carraway Author
    Last updated: 2012/04/16
    v1.21b
    http://www.bluegarterls.com

Introduction

Playing Archer throughout Final Fantasy XIV has been something of an emotional rollercoaster. Fundamental changes have been made a few times to our playstyle and how our damage output breaks down between normal attacks and weaponskills. With the implementation of patch 1.20, however, balance between the physical DPS classes has never been better, and ARC takes full advantage of the combo system by bypassing positional requirements and relying solely on distance, a far easier variable to control for the most part. The fast-paced nature of combos reinforces a focus on strict timing and prioritization, which means that gaps in player skill are all the more noticeable. By equipping yourself with as much knowledge as possible, you can supplement your button-pushing skills with the ability to make the right decisions at the right time.

Now, with 1.21, the Archer can take on a new role. The Bard job sacrifices some pure DPS output (Keen Flury, Blood for Blood, Invigorate) for support abilities, songs, and a new AoE weaponskill. In the end, a Bard's personal DPS plus DPS contribution to other party members can result in a net gain over playing Archer.

What You Need

Gear and Stats

For some gear selections, there is no absolute best-in-slot. Use your best judgment based on your damage output breakdowns.

Weapon: Ifrit's Bow > Mischievous Mogbow > Alesone's Songbow > Ul'dahn Composite Longbow > Crab Bow +1 > Ul'dahn Longbow > Crab Bow NQ

Arrows: Cobalt Arrow HQ > Cobalt Arrow

Until further testing can be performed, I have purposely excluded faster weapons. Base damage is, by far, the most important stat on a weapon and should be the primary consideration. With the implementation of combos and the action overhaul of 1.20, ARC's total damage output favors weaponskill damage to non-Barrage Light Shot damage at 60%/40% or more. BRD's damage breakdown operates in similar fashion.

Seiken on the official FFXIV forums has done some updated statistic testing, revealing stat caps on L52 targets. That information can be found here: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...IE-ATK-Testing

Based on his test results and my own observations, here are my recommendations for gear based purely on damage output. Realistically, you will always want to wear applicable AF for song bonuses when singing those songs, i.e. Choral Shirt for Ballad, Choral Tights for Paeon, and Choral Ringband for Minuet.

Each stat affects the following:
    DEX → ranged damage and accuracy
    PIE → ranged damage
    Attack Power → ranged damage
    Critical Rate → ranged critical hit rate
    Critical Attack Power → ranged damage on critical hits
    Accuracy → ranged accuracy

Accuracy with the 8-person party Strength in Numbers buff averages around 99.9% over several hours' worth of fighting against L60+ targets, making it a non-issue. Essentially, your prioritization for damage output should focus on bringing DEX and PIE to their relevant stat caps against the targets you typically fight, then raising ATK as much as possible.

Head: Paragon's Crown > Choral Chapeau
    Body: Darklight Corselet > Raptorskin Harness (PIE) ~ Rainmaker's Tunic (PIE) > Choral Shirt
    Waist: Flame Sergeant's Sash > Scarlet Sash > Veteran's Field Belt > Tarred Velveteen Longsash
    Hands: Felt Bracers (ATK or DEX) ~ Fingerless Raptorskin Gloves of Slaying (ATK or DEX)
    Legs: Raptorskin Subligar (STR+DEX) ~ Felt Trousers (STR+DEX) > Choral Tights
    Feet: Darklight Boots ~ Darklight Caligae > Choral Sandals
    Earrings: Explorer's Earrings > Peach Blossom
    Neck: Electrum Gorget +1
    Wrists: Spinel Braclets +1 ~ Tourmaline Bracelets +1
    Rings: Spinel Ring +1 / Tourmaline Ring +1, use one of each or two of one depending on personal stats

Materia Selection

Weapon: Dexterity / Heaven's Fist (ATK)

Head: Manaflight (M.Eva)
    Body: Piety / Savage Might (C.ATK)
    Waist: Bloodthirst (HP) / Touch of Serenity (-Enmity)
    Hands: Dexterity / Heaven's Fist (ATK)
    Legs: Swordsman's Cry (STR/DEX) / Watchman's Vigil (VIT/DEX)
    Feet: Bloodthirst (HP)

When melding materia beyond the first, consider that the chance for adding a materia is based on the individual point value, and the lower the value is (on both the materia already added and the materia being added), the higher the chances are of success.

---

Skill and Trait Selection

Recommended Cross-class Skills

* Cure (CNJ L2)
    * Raise (CNJ L18)
    * Stoneskin (CNJ L26)
    * Sacred Prism (CNJ L34)
    * Sanguine Rite (THM L30)

These skills will allow you to supplement any WHM presence in your party with additional support abilities. You can use Sacred Prism + Stoneskin/Sanguine Rite in many situations, such as to protect BLMs that are mid-cast; you can back up heals on the main tank or anyone else; you can Raise if WHMs are unable to do so.

Bard Skills and Songs

Minuet of Rigor (280 MP):
    +35 acc/m.acc without Choral Ringband, +43 acc/m.acc with Choral Ringband
    +71 acc/m.acc with BV and without Choral Ringband, +86 acc/m.acc with BV and with Choral Ringband

Ballad of the Magi (280 MP):
    +20 MP/tick without Choral Shirt, +26 MP/tick with Choral Shirt
    +40 MP/tick with BV and without Choral Shirt, +51 MP/tick with BV and with Choral Shirt

Paeon of War (140 MP, 1000 TP):
    +50 TP/tick without Choral Tights, +60 TP/tick with Choral Tights
    +100 TP/tick with BV and without Choral Tights, +120 TP/tick with BV and with Choral Tights

Swiftsong (280 MP):
    Increases movement speed by 20% until you use an enmity-incurring action or are attacked
    Increases movement speed by 40% with BV

*I'm unsure about the exact movement speed increases

Battle of Voice:
    Lasts 30 seconds, affects individual songs as described above, plus boosts maximum HP by +25% on all party members in range when initially used

Each BRD can only apply one song effect to a given party member at a time. If one BRD sings Ballad, then immediately sings Minuet, the Minuet will overwrite the Ballad. If one BRD sings Ballad and one BRD sings Minuet, party members will retain both Ballad and Minuet. However, one BRD can apply different songs to different party members so long as you carefully measure the radius of your song effect. You can maintain different song sets in this manner while ensuring that the last song is the one with the effect you want for yourself -- usually Paeon if DPSing, or Ballad if healing.

For example, against Miser's Mistress in Aurum Vale, a BRD can Battle Voice, sing Ballad at the back line, then run to the front line and sing Paeon. The Battle Voice effect will impact both the Ballad and the Paeon. Or you can BV+Paeon at the front line, then Ballad at the back line, if you want that BV'd Ballad effect on yourself.

You can also use a macro to swap specific AF pieces when singing the applicable songs (special thanks to Cataclysm Mhakaracca of Durandal for the syntax):

Code:
    /battlemode off
    /wait 1
    /equip body "Choral Shirt"
    /wait 1
    /action "Ballad of Magi" <me>
    /wait 6
    /equip body "Darklight Corselet"
    /battlemode on
    The System

Single-target DPS

Action Prioritization
    Raging Strike → Light Shot to charge maximum Raging Strike → Quelling Strike → Light Shot → Raging Strike
    Barrage → Light Shot
    Heavy Shot (>8 yalms) → Quick Nock → Rain of Death
    Piercing Arrow (>8 yalms) → Gloom Arrow → Bloodletter
    Heavy Shot (>8 yalms) → Leaden Arrow → Wide Volley
    Piercing Arrow (>8 yalms) → Gloom Arrow
    Heavy Shot (>8 yalms) → Leaden Arrow
    Shadowbind
    Light Shot

- Ideally, you will be desperately trying to hit 1000 TP on time to make sure everything is on cooldown. That is the overriding principle of the prioritization system: trying to keep every combo WS on cooldown.
    - Light Shot no longer interrupts combos or consumes the combo bonus, so it should be kept on cooldown as much as possible, even between individual steps of combos.
    - Shadowbind is a great TP dump for damage when used outside of combos since it only costs 250 and does similar damage to Leaden/Gloom Arrow. However, you shouldn't use it if it will prevent you from immediately going into a combo. So, if all second- and third-step combo actions are on cooldown and your TP is at 1250 or higher, use Shadowbind. Or if everything is on cooldown and you know you can get 1000 TP after Shadowbinding anyway, in time for the next two-step combo, use Shadowbind.
    - Quelling Strike returns 450 TP when it lands with an attack. So, if you use it with a weaponskill that costs 1000 TP, you will only lose 550 TP; if you use it with a free weaponskill as part of a combo, you will gain 450 TP. Quelling Strike can now also consume Raging Strike to grant additional TP when used with Light Shot. The proper usage is to charge Raging Strike first, consume it with Quelling Strike, fire Light Shot, then reapply Raging Strike.

Trash DPS

Rain of Death is the new priority for DPS against multiple mobs. If unable to combo properly due to range constraints, you can still fire it independently with 3000 TP. Wide Volley is, of course, the only other option.

---

End Notes

To reiterate, finding the optimal methodologies and setups and loadouts is a continual work-in-progress, a task that is never finished. Please respond with any questions, corrections, comments, points of discussion, etc.

Keep in mind that things may change drastically in forthcoming patches. I will continue to update this guide as mechanics are modified or become better understood.

Special thanks to: Blue Garter's ARCs and BRDs, especially Peng and Rich; Kaeko and Seiken of Dancing Mad LS (Figaro/Aegis); Tachi Koma for his work on BGParser; everyone who rates up my doe-abuse picture on ffxivpro
    (85)
    Last edited by carraway; 04-17-2012 at 03:29 PM.

Player
    Character
    Tiny Dog
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    great guide mang
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Noctis Umbra
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Good read, and lots of great info.

+1
    (0)

Player

awesome guide, awesome info for beginners to advanced players.

+1
    (0)

Player

Hmm ive been out of this gane for like 3 months ill get on this guide got me wanting to play again. If your in wutai today hit me up ill be in in 3.5 hrs
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Akira Torytomi
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    lol what i use is
    Crab Bow+2
    Silver Arrows
    Helm of the Lone Knight
    Alpine War Jacket
    Mitts of the Lone Knight
    Voyager's Belt+2
    Tarred Leather Trousers (Blue)+2
    Bladedancer's Jackboots
    Garnet Ring+1x3
    and that works fine for me lol
    (0)
    i7 12700k/EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra

Player
    Character
    Carraway Author
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 90
    It might work for you, but in terms of min/maxing while stats still have very little observable impact, raw boosts to accuracy and attack are going to win out over +stat gear.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Noctis Umbra
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by carraway View Post
    It might work for you, but in terms of min/maxing while stats still have very little observable impact, raw boosts to accuracy and attack are going to win out over +stat gear.
    ^ This.

From my testing a Mythril Choker with +4 Atk had more impact on my damage output than 3 Garnet rings (+21 STR.)
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Murugan Raj
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    I usually only play archer when not tanking, and using a non-melee friendly strategy, but I have a few questions (I could ask ls archers but it is late).
    • Why no Cadence/Keen Flurry? Even without anyone to BR with (pick up groups) I usually stack these and solo BR for the considerable boost to bloodletter dmg (with my +1 crab bow it usually hits for 140-280 with these instead of 80-160 w/o). I assume there is a reason because JP groups are confused when I do this (though it might just be that they think I want them to renkai with me)
    • no Absorb Attack?
    • Is foeseeker really better than skull sunder II considering the dot and low TP cost?
    • Is stacking buffs on multishot really preferable to doing them on a WS even against higher level mobs such as Ogre/Batraal? I have tried this and saw only an increase of about 30-40 dmg per hit, while on bloodletter I got +100-200 damage and I figured it also boosted the DoT/end of DoT damage assuming no one overwrote it (which I guess is rare in multi archer parties from how I understand bloodletter working?)
    • On a properly debuffed mob is Victimize ever worth using? Most I've gotten on it was ~370, but this wasn't fully self buffed and the mob was missing some debuffs/dots.
    • Would you get better damage overall in a party if you allowed heavily buffed 300 dmg + Bloodletters wear off and alternate this rather than all using bloodletter? Or is the dot/end dmg not affected by buffed initial damage.
    (0)
    Last edited by Murugan; 08-13-2011 at 08:16 PM.

Player
    Character
    Noctis Umbra
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
    I usually only play archer when not tanking, and using a non-melee friendly strategy, but I have a few questions (I could ask ls archers but it is late).
    • Why no Cadence/Keen Flurry? Even without anyone to BR with (pick up groups) I usually stack these and solo BR for the considerable boost to bloodletter dmg (with my +1 crab bow it usually hits for 140-280 with these instead of 80-160 w/o). I assume there is a reason because JP groups are confused when I do this (though it might just be that they think I want them to renkai with me)
    • no Absorb Attack?
    • Is foeseeker really better than skull sunder II considering the dot and low TP cost?
    • Is stacking buffs on multishot really preferable to doing them on a WS even against higher level mobs such as Ogre/Batraal? I have tried this and saw only an increase of about 30-40 dmg per hit, while on bloodletter I got +100-200 damage and I figured it also boosted the DoT/end of DoT damage assuming no one overwrote it (which I guess is rare in multi archer parties from how I understand bloodletter working?)
    • On a properly debuffed mob is Victimize ever worth using? Most I've gotten on it was ~370, but this wasn't fully self buffed and the mob was missing some debuffs/dots.
    • Would you get better damage overall in a party if you allowed heavily buffed 300 dmg + Bloodletters wear off and alternate this rather than all using bloodletter? Or is the dot/end dmg not affected by buffed initial damage.
    • Cadence/Keen Flurry, while are good skills, are not worth replacing anything else on the full bar if you have a lot of the recommended skills - especially Raging Strike II, Hawk's Eye and Ferocity II. Also with BRs, especially vs these bosses it becomes more important to stack efficiently and quickly execute than have people buffing around - particularly with Bloodletter as it has a static 500 damage at the end of the DoT that is unaffected by anything. That DoT + the 500 dmg is what you're mainly using Bloodletter for.
    • Siphon TP is a better choice. Absorb ATK will barely do anything for you unless you have more than base PIE. Just becomes an MP sink.
    • Foeseeker can be buffed with a Multishot to do even more damage, and it was already buffed with 1.18. Although it isn't a clear winner between itself and SS2. In the end I say it would come down to whether or not there's a MRD in the party as well, and your personal choice.
    • Buffs on a triple shot are more effective than on any WS Archer has. That much has been determined. Ideally Archer buffs multishots and stacks WS on BR for any buff. Nothing, including buffs, effects the final damage from Bloodletter: it is always 500 when used on Archer. The DoT is also unaffected by buffs, and like all DoTs is based on PIE.
    • Victimize II is VERY much worth using on a mob with multiple debuffs and DoTs on it, provided one has 3k TP. Preferably stacking it in a BR as well. Tier 1 Victimize however is not worth using as soon as you obtain any tier II WS.
    • Using Bloodletter only when the DoT wears off and the 500 damage is dealt is common sense. Overwriting it, if done by another Archer, won't do anything but extend how long until the DoT ends and the damage is dealt. Ideally letting it end and replenishing it asap gives you the best DPS you'll get out of Bloodletter.
    (0)
    Last edited by NoctisUmbra; 08-14-2011 at 04:26 AM.

Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast