Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Meowy Wowie
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 70

[DEV????] Proposed Search and Seek Invite interface (PICS)

Disclaimer:
    The following examples are photoshoped images of the game's current UI. All images, templates, samples, etc. used to create the final images are property of Square-Enix. I do not own nor did I create any of the original artwork used to make these images.

Square-Enix, if this is against the ToS please accept my sincere apologies and delete this thread.

The following is my proposal for an improved Search and Seek Invite interface. I have suggested this in another thread but without any images. I feel the images alone will draw much more attention to the topic and are likely the best way to present such suggestions. I also understand this should go in the User Interface forum, however the traffic in General Discussion is sure to bring in more interest and support.

Without further ado:

Redesigning the "Main" party window
    In addition to the current window, I would like to suggest two more options: Seek Invite and Quick Seek.
    • Recruit: Leave as is for the most part. The only thing I would cover in this post about the recruitment system is to remove the newly added "seek invite" option from the purpose list.
    • Seek Invite: A proposed new addition. Allow us to seek on multiple classes simultaneously, each with their own purposes. Allow us to use multiple purposes per class as well.
    • Quick Seek: A proposed new addition. Implement a new "One Click" seek invite button.
    • Search: A proposed redesign of the Search interface. Allow easier to use and more flexible searching.

Recruit
    As mentioned above, I will not cover anything in terms of redesigning the "Recruit" function aside from removing the "Seek Invite" option under the "Purpose" drop menu.
    Seek Invite
    A suggestion for a completely new function.
    With this new system we would be able to seek on multiple classes at the same time, with multiple purposes per class. In this example I am setting up my seek invite for 5 classes and 3 purposes, for a period of 60 minutes.

For my Gladiator I am seeking an EXP party and a Toto-Rak party.
    For my Pugilist I am seeking a Dzemael Darkhold party.
    For my Lancer I am seeking an EXP party and a Toto-Rak party.
    For my Archer I am seeking a Dzemael Darkhold party.
    And last but not least, for my Conjurer I am seeking a R20 CON Quest party (hypothetical.)

In my message I better define what quests, raids, etc. I am looking for.

This interface would be simple to use. Click the purpose buttons under the class(es) you wish to seek on (they will turn green.) Add an optional message in the text window to better define what you are looking for. Select the amount of time you wish to seek for in the drop menu. Click "Seek Invite"
    Quick Seek
    A suggestion for another new function.

Clicking this button would instantly put a seek invite flag on the class you are currently playing with an "Unspecified" purpose for a period of 60 minutes. Perhaps the default purpose and time can be adjusted in the configuration menu.
    Visual Cues for "Seek Invite"
    Proposed visual cues for people seeking invites.
    Addition of a "Seek Invite" icon next to a character's name. Addition of "Seeking classes" icons when targeting someone who is seeking a party.

In this example I have selected "Seek Invite" with the classes and purposes shown earlier. You can see the seek invite icon next to my name, and when targeting myself you can see the classes and their levels that I am seeking on above my HP bar.
    Search
    Proposed redesign of the Search interface.

In this example I show only myself seeking a party invite as it would have taken me forever to make temporary characters to fill the list with names.

By clicking "Begin Search" without using any filters the list would be populated with ALL characters seeking a party, likely leading to a truncated list. With filters, we would be able to search for DoW/DoM/Individual classes/All purposes/Specific purposes.

After setting up your filters and clicking "Begin Search" you will see a list of all players that fall into your search parameters. To the right of their names and underneath the corresponding classes will be their levels. Only classes that are seeking an invite will be shown. If a person is seeking on multiple classes and only one of them falls into your search filters, all of their seeking classes will still be shown.

When selection a specific purpose in your search all classes that are flagged for that purpose would be highlighted.

As an example: If I filtered Raids, my GLA, PGL, LNC and ARC would be highlighted, while my CON would remain white.

After you've decided on who you would like to invite you would click their name, popping up a new window. This window will show their Seek invite message along with a "Chat" and an "Invite" command. After confirming either through the message or by sending a /tell that they are in fact seeking for a party like yours, you can send them an invite.

Edit: Forgot to add a toggle to search for seeking players or recruiting parties. I'm not willing to update the image unfortunately. I think it's pretty straightforward.
    Conclusion

FFXIV is in desperate need of an improved Search and Seek Invite interface. I've spent the last two weeks leveling my Archer with some LS buddies and shouting in Ul'dah for extra party members. I have tried, numerous times, to use the recruit and seek invite functions we have now, always unsuccessful.

The above suggestions are simply examples of what we could have. Sure there are likely even better ways to improve upon them, but I think keeping it simple is by far the most important part.

The past 2 weeks I have met some great people, all thanks to EXP parties. The sad part is that the effort involved to make these parties with the current system's limitations is too great for most players.

It took me hours to make those images (my first time using photoshop) and guess what I was doing while making them... Seeking a party on my Lancer. Do you think I got an invite? I think we all know the answer to that.

For those of us who enjoy playing with others, this is one of the biggest gripes with the game. I personally hate to play solo and will usually log off after a short time if I can't find something to do with other players. I'm sure many others feel the same way. I have seen multiple new players having the same problems with finding parties and such, and it just doesn't have to be this way. It's hard to say whether these new players will stick around and wait an undetermined amount of time for this issue to be resolved. As such, this should be one of your top priorities. Please address this problem, and quickly.
    (334)
    Last edited by MeowyWowie; 08-10-2011 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Added toggle for Party/Player search

Player
    Character
    Captain Picard
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 50
    /signed

The pictures say it all.
    (14)

Player
    Character
    Livi Fi
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Nicely shopped! They look so good I had to double check why my menu wasn't like that >< I agree with you how annoying it is to search/make a PT and approve this thread.
    (12)

Character
    Kickle Cubicle
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Rogue Lv 90
    I like it.

We also need a tutorial sidequest added to introduce people to the party search function. SE can make all the changes in the universe to it, and it won't do any good if people continue to not use it.
    (15)

Player
    Character
    Kite Twinblade
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    very nice idea, and very simple to use!
    SE should really use this example.
    (13)
    Last edited by Black_Rose; 08-10-2011 at 09:52 PM.

Player
    Character
    Meowy Wowie
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 70
    I would agree that we'd need a tutorial with the current system. I had no idea how to use it before you explained it to me in my last proposal, Eekiki. I think that's the main reason people don't use it, because no one knows how it works and they don't care to look it up. And frankly, they shouldn't have to.

I believe this system is more advanced than what I was used to in XI, but just as easy to use. The interface is fairly straightforward and the visual cues confirm that you are using it correctly. A tutorial would be a nice addition, though I think a system like this would catch on very quickly.
    (12)

Player
    Character
    Raistlin Majere
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 90
    sure, but add too using Commands, always faster than interface
    (9)

Player
    Character
    Valatu Aervadd
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 48
    /signed

Fantastic post! 1000% improvement over the 'just make it work now!" threads I've seen in the past. The interface and technicalities even seem like they would fit in with the current system; not some off the wall design scheme.

The folks at SE should be all over this and thanking you for doing all the mock-up design work for them ^^
    (11)
    Can We Get a toggle for that toggle?
    You are forced to be logged off. Please be logged in again.

Player
    Character
    Abaddon Deathslayer
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 70
    /signed...now just need it sealed and delivered.
    (9)

Character
    Kickle Cubicle
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Rogue Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by MeowyWowie View Post
    I would agree that we'd need a tutorial with the current system. I had no idea how to use it before you explained it to me in my last proposal, Eekiki. I think that's the main reason people don't use it, because no one knows how it works and they don't care to look it up. And frankly, they shouldn't have to.

I believe this system is more advanced than what I was used to in XI, but just as easy to use. The interface is fairly straightforward and the visual cues confirm that you are using it correctly. A tutorial would be a nice addition, though I think a system like this would catch on very quickly.
    Yep, there's a lot more information there than the old system from XI, but you have it nicely streamlined. One thing about the current party search function in XIV is there's an awful lot of empty space in that window.

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    sure, but add too using Commands, always faster than interface
    Yes yes yes. As a Linux geek, I always appreciate having the ability to type commands, because it is always faster than a GUI to me. ^_^
    (6)

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast