Character
    Paul Wilson
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 70

The Coliseum Conundrum: The Ala Migan Whore

Audience: "I knew there was somethin' fishy about that Ala Mhigan whore!"

Inasmuch as the Hildibrand quest line is wildly non-PC, anyone else find this line out of place and weird?
    (0)
    My goal is to better than yesterday.

Player
    Character
    Alisette Dumont
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 80
    Not... really.

The people of Ul'dah seem to have no love for the Ala Migan refugees. She might have gotten a bit of fame and love while she was winning matches in the Colosseum (they do so love their fighting matches) but in the end she is still a refugee. In a city where money seems to be everything, it is no surprise that refugees with nothing but the clothes on their back are not welcome.

I believe it is mentioned in the course of the story as well, but in the beginning the people of Ul'dah were kind of welcoming to the (Ala Migan) refugees. They were victims of war, and like any decent person does they tried to help them. But there were too many refugees and they stayed for too long. So Ul'dah has become far less happy about them, and now uses them as cheap labour forces or just turns a blind eye and hope they go away. Add in a few riots here and there and the refugees become even less popular.
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Bobbin Threadbare
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 90
    and I thought the word "whore" and against the rule. lol

I did unintentionally caught a french profanity filter the other that, I think it was french word equivalent of "whore". Forgot what though.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kharagan Dotharl
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 90
    I thought it fit. Uldans don't like ala migons, and she was just caught cheating at what's basically their national pastime.... And her partner was ultros, who spent the entire quest stalking/ being attracted to every attaractive female gladiator he could.... Actually, that kinda makes the whore thing more creepy...
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Paul Wilson
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 70
    Oh, I get that the moment calls for some invective.
    Just found it strange they went for a sexual insult instead of 'cheat', 'beggar', 'fraud', etc. By insulting the woman for what she didn't do in lieu of what she did, it makes it seem more like what she did do wrong didn't actually matter to the character representation flinging the insult, and that's what I find weird - why make the insult in the first place.
    (1)
    My goal is to better than yesterday.

Player
    Character
    Llyren Wolfpaw
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    You have it reversed.

Most of the time insults are flung, they are flung without regards to their meanings.

The last time someone was called a jerk and it followed the meaning was likely in a movie ... set in the 50's ...

Which is before even my time.
    (0)

Character
    Miles Saintborough
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by PWilson View Post
    Just found it strange they went for a sexual insult instead of 'cheat', 'beggar', 'fraud', etc. By insulting the woman for what she didn't do in lieu of what she did, it makes it seem more like what she did do wrong didn't actually matter to the character representation flinging the insult, and that's what I find weird - why make the insult in the first place.
    Any insult is an insult.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Viva Diva
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by PWilson View Post
    I actually agree with this. I get they wanted to use a strong insult but it bothers me when they went for a sexual one that is used to degrade women over some of the examples you gave.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Delilah Jevhene
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 80
    Are you guys serious? Insults aren't meant to be nice. They are meant to offend, they're supposed to degrade. That's the point. People have insulted women by calling them whores for a long, long, long, long time. Don't be so sensitive, especially when the insult isn't directed toward you, but toward a fictional character.
    (2)

Character
    Miles Saintborough
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Next thing you know, people will get offended from an NPC insulting a Lalafell for being short.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast