Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Myranda Al'cyoene
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80

War of the Magi - Who's side are you on anyway??

To begin with, yes I know a question on this was just answered at Fanfest that "Amdapor and Nym teamed up against proto-Belah'dians". However, take this together with the following text from Gerolt during the Omnilex quest:

Quote Originally Posted by Gerolt
    But what's done is done...or in this case, not done. Anyroad, let's talk about that text ye brought. It contains accounts o' the major clashes what took place durin' the War o' the Magi. The entry on the Battle o' the Gods' Grip jumped out at me. This was when the Nymians took the Amdapori host by surprise as it made its beach landin'─takin' the siege to the besiegers, as it were.
    If Amdapor and Nym are supposedly allied based on the Fanfest answer, why are they seemingly pitted against each other in this in-game text account? Did they fall through after taking care of the proto-Belah'dians by arguing whether SCH or WHM is the better healer? Or the other way around, and they were at odds before having to team up once proto-Belah'dia arose as a threat?

Or... is there simply crossed streams that blew up the consistency in the lore? >.>

It has always bothered me that it's assumed Nym and Amdapor teamed up. From what I can tell, this was only ever inferred from the War of the Magi also being billed as a "white vs black" magic type thing, and players therefore saying "since WHM and SCH are both healer classes, obviously they must both be on the side of light vs some unknown people on the dark side". I've yet to see any primary source confirm this aside from the Fanfest Q&A.

So... what's going on here? We have two seemingly conflicting sources on the War, both of which could be considered canon (in-game and from Ferne's mouth). Anybody know of other in-game text that could reconcile this? Do we need to invoke the voidsent summoning ritual?
    (1)
    Last edited by Myranda; 10-23-2014 at 03:09 AM.
    Check out my Eorzean fonts! - Twitter: @MyrandaFFXIV
    http://dachoutom.no-ip.org/ffxiv/fonts.html
    The Astronomical Society of Eorzea!
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/142965-The-Astronomical-Society-of-Eorzea

Player
    Character
    Nel Artux
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    As far as I remember, black mages of Amdapor summoned Diabolos and the white mages of Amdapor, seeing that disaster, put the voidsent to sleep and since the city was in ruin they might have allied with the scholars of Nym to defeat the black mages that they thought to have come too far. Maybe the MNK quest giver have some info on this, I never heard of the alliance between the white mages and the scholars before too...
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Baithin Alberona
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    My guess is that it was a temporary alliance, or one that arose either late in the war or early on in the war.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Myranda Al'cyoene
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by lololink View Post
    As far as I remember, black mages of Amdapor summoned Diabolos and the white mages of Amdapor, seeing that disaster, put the voidsent to sleep and since the city was in ruin they might have allied with the scholars of Nym to defeat the black mages that they thought to have come too far. Maybe the MNK quest giver have some info on this, I never heard of the alliance between the white mages and the scholars before too...
    Can't believe I forgot about Erik. I double checked on him and he deals much more with the Autumn War rather than the Magi, nothing to add here. :/

As for Diabolos, I wasn't aware we had any evidence whatsoever yet of who exactly summoned him or why. Didn't Ferne at Fanfest basically infer that more Diabolos story might be coming in a future dungeon for that ("pay close attention to his cutscene")?
    (0)
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/142965-The-Astronomical-Society-of-Eorzea

Player
    Character
    Alenore Llohen
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    The S rank monster (Mahisha) was summoned during the war of the magi, to conquer Nym. The Black magic users having already summoned Diabolos, it wouldn't be surprising if they tried the same strategy on Nym (apparently without much more success).
    I'd assume the (apparently temporary) alliance happened at that moment, to shut down those big bad black mages. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" kind of thinking.
    (0)

To clarify Fern's statements: War is messy, and longer wars are even messier. The War of the Magi was one of the longest and messiest wars in recorded history. Alliances can be fleeting things in such an environment...and I'll leave it at that for now.
    (7)

Player
    Character
    Doc Ravenbe
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 80
    but war never changes right?

(I had to say it >.<)
    (3)
    Okay then. that's what I'll do. I'll tell you a story. Can you hear them? All these people who lived in terror of you and your judgement. All these people who's ancestors devoted themselves to you, sacrificed themselves to you. Can you hear them singing?

Player
    Character
    Myranda Al'cyoene
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvinoobus View Post
    ...and I'll leave it at that for now.
    Is that... is that a "please look forward to it"??? It sure makes it sound like there's more to be revealed but can't say because future quests :P

Thanks for dropping in with such a morsel--myseterious though it be--for us to nosh on, o preeminent preternatural pudding!
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Myranda View Post
    Is that... is that a "please look forward to it"???
    That's a Please Look Forward To It™ if I've ever seen one.

Have you noticed that we've had to set aside every question pertaining to the War of the Magi, so far? Whatever's going on back there, the Lore department has a story they're stoked to tell us in a specific way at a specific time. I'm excited for it for a slightly different reason.

All current custom on the conflict comes specifically from the same era as a certain savage sorceress and her staff of Sta~rdust...

♪~Ohohoho
    (2)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 10-23-2014 at 11:50 PM.

Player
    Character
    Alberel Lindurst
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Myranda View Post
    Can't believe I forgot about Erik. I double checked on him and he deals much more with the Autumn War rather than the Magi, nothing to add here. :/

As for Diabolos, I wasn't aware we had any evidence whatsoever yet of who exactly summoned him or why. Didn't Ferne at Fanfest basically infer that more Diabolos story might be coming in a future dungeon for that ("pay close attention to his cutscene")?
    If I recall Diabolos doesn't die when we defeat him... he just teleports away again. We essentially set him free by breaking the seals on his prison. I would imagine he'll return in a future quest or dungeon relating to Amdapor or the War of the Magi as it seems he played a crucial part in its conclusion.
    (0)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast