Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90

The Name of Eorzea

The Dravanian singing in the Heavensward trailer uses the word Eorzea and yet... in the translation... it's not there!

Mah morn narr Eorzea
    The saviors must perish
    Assuming the word wasn't simply omitted in the translation for flow (Saviors of Eorzea, perhaps), could it be that Eorzea's name is of draconian origin? And, if so, is it the land of saviors / salvation? Or could it be connected to the word "perish" instead?

Separating coincidence from foreshadowing this early on is much harder, lol.

Also, Ma mor na Eorzea. Hm. Are those common syllables in their language? As in Mor Dhona?
    Filing that first edit under the coincidence column as more specifics come out.

UPDATE
    Quote Originally Posted by Alberel View Post
    Ferne ... emphatically stated that Eorzea means Eorzea and has no special meaning in Dravanian.
    Well that shuts that down! Chalking it up to an unspoken sentence subject or implied reference, I suppose. Then again, "no special meaning" doesn't mean it's not part of the etymolo-no, no, no. Chalking it up to an unspoken sentence subject or implied reference, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Alberel View Post
    He went on to say that Eorzea does mean something, as the names of all places typically have some sort of meaning, but he couldn't say what that was because it was important and would be revealed later in the story.
    Pleased to be looking forward to it.
    (3)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 10-25-2014 at 10:41 AM.

Player
    Character
    Kharagan Dotharl
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 90
    My first thought when I heard it was that it was Saviors of Eorzea, as you suggest, or the thing/person they were addressing. "The Saviors Must Perish, Eorzea".
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Myranda Al'cyoene
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    I noticed this as well, but didn't quite think about it as deeply yet. If we entertain the theory that it's attached to "perish" I suppose that could be interpreted as a link to the repetitive umbral eras?

/gotnothin
    (1)
    Check out my Eorzean fonts! - Twitter: @MyrandaFFXIV
    http://dachoutom.no-ip.org/ffxiv/fonts.html
    The Astronomical Society of Eorzea!
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/142965-The-Astronomical-Society-of-Eorzea

Player
    Character
    Tea Mysidia
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Rogue Lv 90
    Wait, are we still talking about the same teaser trailer? I didn't notice no Dravanian singing and translation.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Nel Artux
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Balipu View Post
    Wait, are we still talking about the same teaser trailer? I didn't notice no Dravanian singing and translation.
    It's because you can barely hear it in the middle of the strong music, but Koji Fox gave the lyrics so it's official, also as I said in the other topic I think Eorzea simply means "Blessed by the gods/crystal" which apply to both this land and the warriors of light.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tea Mysidia
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Rogue Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by lololink View Post
    It's because you can barely hear it in the middle of the strong music, but Koji Fox gave the lyrics so it's official, also as I said in the other topic I think Eorzea simply means "Blessed by the gods/crystal" which apply to both this land and the warriors of light.
    Really? Cool. The actual Answers lyrics were unknown for years.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Nel Artux
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Balipu View Post
    Really? Cool. The actual Answers lyrics were unknown for years.
    Yes, they saw that the players really wanted to know the lyrics in the songs, Titant's Lyrics took time to come but Leviathan's came sooner than that and Ramuh's really fast, so that doesn't surprise me.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Lethorian Tesildor
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by lololink View Post
    Or it could mean the opposite according to Anonymoose's alternate interpritation towards "perish", with Eorzea translating to some sort of cursed lands and the Warriors of Light are there as a response to that. We could very well have a "which came first" scenario on our hands.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Nel Artux
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    Considering that dravania is part of Eorzea I don't think they would call their own land "cursed", but maybe our dear one eyed monster can enlighten us on this, these kind of creatures knows curses well ^^".
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tea Mysidia
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Rogue Lv 90
    The question is, who named Eorzea? I doubt the Five Raves would use a Dravanian name. Then again it does seem to mean something in Dravanian. Same question for Mor Dhona. Perhaps it comes from whatever language the Ascians are using. They are hinted to predate Hydaelyn herself, and have a very interesting language. If you remember the flashback to carteneau when Lahabrea talks about Bahamut we never hear his name said out loud
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast