Thread: WHM Regen

Player
    Character
    Lilli Karani
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    During many fights many things can happen.

During boss fights there are adds spawning or the PATs in trash areas.

Tank can't wait the last 3 seconds of the HoT before next pull.

Sometimes a tank gets within a fight the idea to pull more mobs.

There is something I've learned from tanks: Good tanks have no issue at all with running HoTs during pull.
    (3)

Videos mit der Hauptgeschichte und ausgewählten Nebenquestreihen (deutsch): https://www.youtube.com/user/KSVideo100

Player
    Character
    Bluehaired Bigdude
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 60
    I actually used to use Regen before a pull to try and keep on top of things. I never knew it was the reason i kept getting hate right away. Nobody ever said anything so i kept doing it. Knowing is half the battle so just tell a WHM whats going on if you see them doing dumb stuff. Chances are they just dont know. Help them and everyone else and just tell them to stop and why.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Sacrilege Moonshadow
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by gehrtalert View Post
    I actually used to use Regen before a pull to try and keep on top of things. I never knew it was the reason i kept getting hate right away. Nobody ever said anything so i kept doing it. Knowing is half the battle so just tell a WHM whats going on if you see them doing dumb stuff. Chances are they just dont know. Help them and everyone else and just tell them to stop and why.
    This is very true. Even at 50 you still run into WHMs trying to be helpful by casting Regen and/or Medica II before a pull, and they usually correct this behavior immediately if you nicely let them know that casting HoTs before adds are engaged is giving them unnecessary aggro.

Most people are receptive to advice as long as it's not couched in a negative tone. That's part of how I learned as a new player.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Bluehaired Bigdude
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynfael View Post
    This is very true. Even at 50 you still run into WHMs trying to be helpful by casting Regen and/or Medica II before a pull, and they usually correct this behavior immediately if you nicely let them know that casting HoTs before adds are engaged is giving them unnecessary aggro.

Most people are receptive to advice as long as it's not couched in a negative tone. That's part of how I learned as a new player.
    Constructive criticism works wonders. Stop trolling people who just dont know. Dont assume everyone knows everything. On my first time running Levi EX... i was healing like normal(not supposed to) and the only thing said to me was "Dude..." "Dude..." "Dude...". If someone doesnt know something or they are going against the fight mechanics then just explain it to them. You will be surprised how far a little explaination goes.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Jack Magus
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    As a new WHM, I'm lucky to run with friends and FC to help me with healing.
    There are a lot of new healers though that is not willing to accept any advice.

I was leveling my lancer with friends in Haukke and the healer (DF) kept on using Fluid Aura as if he was doing us a favor, started DPSing when we asked him not to as he was running behind on healing, started sleeping random mobs and then because he ran out of mp, decided to use LB.
    When he was given advice (I'm a lvl50 SCH) he told me to leave him alone as he is enjoying the game as he wants to.
    It was a very, very long Haukke Manor run.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kelya Asura
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by KarstenS View Post

There is something I've learned from tanks: Good tanks have no issue at all with running HoTs during pull.
    Indeed.

You guys need to play depending on what kind of ppl you play with.

Daily dungeon with PU ? Don't regen before pull.
    Coil/Primals with friends/fc/experimated tank ? Regen as much as you want, before, after, and before again a pull, no one will notice this cause as said KarstenS, actually Regen means nothing when u got a good tank. It's pretty the same for a BLM that will Swiftcast + Ice 3 just 0,3s before the tank actually hits the boss. It's not a big issue like a dramatic thing or so, just relax if u play with good ppl or be attentive when u play in pu team
    (0)
    Last edited by Kelya; 10-21-2014 at 01:28 AM.

Player
    Character
    Turambar Mormegil
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    When I leveled WHM it wasn't until Aurum Vale that a helpful tank told me why not to cast Regen before the pull. My problem, and I expect it is a common one, is that I came from FFXI. In FFXI, Regen works a lot differently, and hate is only generated when it's cast. After it's applied, it produces little hate, if any.

For those interested: in FFXI, Regen just caused HP to climb automatically by a set amount at each clocktick (i.e. every 3 seconds). It was treated as a single action for the caster at the time of casting. Even though the hate generated is minimal, it was best to cast it before a pull, since it freed the healer up to do other things once the mob was engaged. In FFXIV, Regen basically casts a weak Cure every 3 seconds, and treats each one as a discrete action for hate generation.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Carnage Incarnate
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by SamAkemi View Post
    snip
    I prefer blaming tanks who can't right click their regen tick before pull
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ty'rael Yrral
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    I usually try to give out helpful advice when I see dumb stuff going on, but it usually results in me being told to f*ck off. I politely asked the WHM's during a Garuda EX run to stop casting Medica II right when Chirada and Suparna spawned, as the OT was having trouble keeping keeping Chirada, one agreed with me, but then remarked "Remember that when you die", the other went full rage mode and commented "Pull better aggro, scrub tanks". Needless to say the WHM's continued to hilariously tank Chirada through all the wipes with predictable results.

*Disclaimer*
    Been healing WHM/SCH since this game was released, only been a 50 Paladin for two months or so.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Razai Sylvain
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 58
    I knew this a while back when I leveled up my scholar. The OP's post is more towards people that do not know why they are getting the hate, but things do happen where DPS is just so awesome and the WHM thinks that the 7 tics will be gone by the last piece of trash and realizes they will get hate when tank rushes next mob. However, the remedy to this is for the WHM to keep a good distance and the tank can grab the hate just halfway before they reach the WHM/Scholar (in case of whispering dawn).

Now I wish we can find a similar solution to BLM's rushing mobs before tanks can even get in range for a provoke/shield lob etc...
    (0)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast