Player
    Character
    Raine Serafine
    World
    Chocobo
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 70

Changes to Crafting in 2.4? Wait or not to wait?

So I have all my DoH's at around 45 now, taking things reaaaaaaaaaaaally slow knowing the huge grind + meld curb just up ahead at 50.

Knowing I have to max meld my gear to hit 3star crafts, I am preparing for SB grinds... BUT 2.4 IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER!?!?

2.4 will be coming out before the year is done, which is under 2 months time.

It will probably take me a couple weeks if not a month if I grind all my materias, considering that, would it be better to wait till 2.4 to see the changes made to crafting gear before max melding? I would hate it if I spend a month grinding materia to see them go to waste with 2.4;;;

I have read opinions of others on how the changes in 2.4 will affect crafting, like where all gear is cross-class like the Artisan's Specs or new i70/90 gear will be available which needs to be max melded again. Maybe even 4star crafts.

Taking all this into consideration... I decided to slow down my road to 50 on my DoH's and start stocking on materias in prep for 2.4.

What are your opinions? Should I meld asap or wait?
    (0)
    Last edited by xXRaineXx; 10-13-2014 at 03:33 AM.

Player
    Character
    M'kael Jin
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 3
    If acquiring materia takes that much time and effort, you would be better off waiting until after patch to meld.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Jean Case
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Alchemist Lv 50
    I'd get your DOHs to 50 (you'll need to do this in any case) and maybe hold off on the melds. It wont be long now.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Red Cork
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 70
    Also consider getting your i70 equipment (tool, head and hands). Then I'd worry about max-melding everything.
    (0)
    "Fun comes first. If it isn't fun, you're doing it wrong." -Naoki Yoshida

Player
    Character
    Tomba Labomba
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Maybe get the Materia but wait with inserting them, have a look at what items come in 2.4 and then go ahead. They will surely not replace all AF items at once with new ones that do not have Materia Slots anymore.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kiara Silvermoon
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 60
    The one I'm worried about is Off-Hand Tool. The most expensive to max Materia meld. I'd hate to spend Materia on it, only to have that one be invalidated next patch.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Cristie Chong
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 75
    Just hold till 2.4 released.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Jon Bigwood
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    I would level up all to 50, then (or while you level the others) meld one to get the artisan's spectacles that are for all classes, and save the expense on the head gear for the rest of the classes. The Ixal gloves are not optimal but are ilvl70 and are for all classes, save money on hand gear too.

Try to save the melds if you don't need them to craft the items you usually craft.

Then you can try and get the ilvl70 weapon for your best class. Soon we will see what 2.4 brings for crafters.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Romu Zari
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    The thing is, no matter what you will waste your time and melds and gil in the long term. It's only worth doing to make money in the now. It'll never last for good. I do think it's a very safe bet that the newest i55 gear isn't going to be replaced anytime soon. As such, the offhand probably won't be replaced, but some more of the body gear MIGHT be. I hate to think about the main tool slot after the massive hassles and prices of doing them.

But this is XIV life right now and maybe forever. You'll never be done melding because then FFXIV would lose the ONLY thing it has going for an economy. So you should meld just enough to get by, and never waste gil capping unless it's CP, I suppose. Any craft/control over what is required to 100% HQ is pure waste until the day it is needed, and when it is, there will probably be better gear for it anyway.
    (0)