Player
    Character
    Kio Kurokami
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 80

Tab Targeting.

I'm not really sure where to put this, but it's been a year SE. Can we get the targeting to do what it says it's supposed to do? The option in the menu that says Cycle through Enemies (Nearest to Farthest) doesn't do that, but instead cycles through enemies from Left to Right. Similarly, the option below it doesn't do what it says either, and cycles from Right to Left. I would prefer if you actually made it so that it really does cycle from nearest to farthest, instead of just fixing what the menu says.
    (29)

Player
    Character
    Final Spark
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    It cycles through using the letters monster have on the side of their names I believe. I may be wrong, but that's what I've observed.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tomba Labomba
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    To me it looks like most far away enemies not engaged in the fight have the hightest priority to be chosen as next target lol. Actually I have no clue how their system works.
    (21)

Player
    Character
    Poponemu Totonemu
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 70
    I actually prefer how it is, cycling left to right and right to left. A new option for cycling near to far and far to near I wouldn't be opposed to though.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Fornix Amygdala
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by TomTom1968 View Post
    To me it looks like most far away enemies not engaged in the fight have the hightest priority to be chosen as next target lol. Actually I have no clue how their system works.
    This, there's no left to right involved in it from as far as I can tell. Most of the times it simply targets the most inconvenient target first, the one furthest in the back. It's like trying to plug in a USB-cable. Always takes 3 tabs before hitting the right target.

It'd be nice if the tab targeting would simply target what you're looking at most closely first, so whichever is most center on your screen.
    (9)

Character
    Tiggy Te'al
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 53
    I don't have any issues with how it works. When it comes to the target right in front of me I just look at it and hit A (I use controller) and it targets it right away. Or I use trigger + LB or trigger + RB to cycle enemies. I've never had a problem with it and it always seems to target what I expect it to. Is this a keyboard problem?
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Ampersand Kai
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiggy View Post
    Is this a keyboard problem?
    Yes. The gamepad controls, especially if you're good at facing your character and/or camera beforehand, are much more predictable and intuitive.

Tab works fairly predictably a good deal of the time (left to right). Unfortunately, that's not a terribly useful way to cycle targets in a lot of situations, and the predictability goes out the window often enough that in order to use Tab effectively, you basically have to do camera gymnastics.
    (2)
    10 posts per page is only the default setting; it is bad, and you should feel bad if you haven't changed it.
    Forum quirks and features explained: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/161238

Player
    Character
    T'za Hibur
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    Lost count to the times I try to tab target the monster in front of me and goes to some monster at the back of the map. Tab targeting as it is right now, doesn't do what it says it does (closest to furthest). It just jumps around with the same accuracy of a drunkard trying to walk a straight line.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Last Hero
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 90
    I agree. Controller is vastly superior, and that's a huge issue considering many tanks cannot play well with the limitations of a controller. Tab targeting DOES need to be fixed on keyboard. It doesn't work the way it should; the way it does in any other game.

Can we please get a community rep to acknowledge this issue?
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Valia Rosa
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 71
    Quote Originally Posted by Bixby View Post
    Yes. The gamepad controls, especially if you're good at facing your character and/or camera beforehand, are much more predictable and intuitive.

Tab works fairly predictably a good deal of the time (left to right). Unfortunately, that's not a terribly useful way to cycle targets in a lot of situations, and the predictability goes out the window often enough that in order to use Tab effectively, you basically have to do camera gymnastics.
    Hmm, I often have to do camera gymnastics with my controller in order to target the mob trying to eat my face rather than the guy clear across the room. I seem to remember mention made of which direction you're facing affects what mobs the targeting 'sees'. So if the closest mob is north and I'm facing NNNE, I'm always gonna target the mob wayyy over there to the east. =_=
    (2)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast