(2)

Player
    Character
    Wubrant Drakesbane
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    I wouldn't defend a system that actually had the chance for a player to do hundreds of hours more than another...(and still not get it) The benefit to rng % is that it is easy to make and use, for the real desirables they should start to look else where.

Not impressed by possibility of something never happening, feelings of struggle is a good thing in games, being able to feel true hopelessness is just terrible.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Ilydia Infinitum
    World
    Famfrit
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by skaterger View Post
    It's been stated that there's nothing wrong with the rng system in this game. You might want to read this
    Sorry, that part was in reply to someone else and wasn't specifically talking about the FF14 RNG.

The RNG is probably fine. It is probably good enough.

However, the issue is honestly not whether the RNG itself is working and more of the fact that with RNG, you can end up with some very heavy outliers. Please who need to farm thousands upon thousands of times or who get them instantly.
    (1)
    Last edited by ariaandkia; 08-30-2014 at 12:21 AM.

Character
    Way Extra
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by ariaandkia View Post
    I crave attention.
    I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm about 3/4 done with my second set of Atma.
    The first, about 22 hours of solid work. Over about 2 weeks.
    The second, 7/12 in about 15 hours over a week.
    The key is not forcing it. Go grind a few FATEs. No luck, go enjoy something else.
    If you pass a FATE, grind it up, move along.
    Easy.

Your...luck, let's call it...
    Is superstition. This is pixels and math.
    It doesn't care who you are or how many...incredible, let's say...stories you have.

Here's wishing you better "luck".
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Ilydia Infinitum
    World
    Famfrit
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsuwu View Post
    I mock people with bad luck
    Problem is when it keeps happening over and over again. Superstition or not, it is still happening.

Also, how is it superstition when I've pretty much explained how I got to my conclusion with actual math?

As people have pointed out in their arguments about how the RNG works just fine, it is a programmed function designed to look like proper randomness. Whether or not it is properly random is only determined by the people that are examining it. In other words, people, the same people who see chaos and view it as order.

These functions, once figured out, can be manipulated to give certain results. For me, I just tend to happen to stumble upon the outliers of these results time and time again. So superstition or not, it is happening.
    (1)
    Last edited by ariaandkia; 08-30-2014 at 01:33 AM.
    The healer of love and justice! (Or the mad/insane/evil/berserk healer depending on who you talk to).
    I've played healers for so long that I can heal in my sleep literally (People have seen me do it).
    I like to do a bit of everything, but my preference is healing+support (until /that/ happens). FF14 title: Macro Queen

Player
    Character
    Ashkendor Zahirr
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by swordrain View Post
    He called me a liar, sorry its hard to not get very angry after everything I've been through on this, only to be called a liar about it.
    And then to come here, to see someone like the OP say, "that can't happen!" and call people like "me" ludicrous and liars is just so insulting and hurtful.
    I don't think he meant to directly call anyone a liar or say that it can't happen; he simply stated that statistically speaking, it's extremely unlikely to happen. It doesn't seem like he's here to insult you or anyone else in particular.

I honestly just think OP made a poor choice in his wording and that's what's upsetting people.

It's impossible for some people to understand, but I feel like trash now because I failed miserably at what I set out to do. I don't care what obstacles are in the way of my goal. I failed. It's hard to look at myself until I feel I do something to redeem myself of my failure.
    I mean this in the nicest way possible: you may want to seek some professional help if you truly feel like this.

Your sense of self-worth should not be left in the hands of a PRNG on an MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kydi View Post
    The OP's initial comment on "ludicrous claims" are somewhat debunked by his own statistics. There is a large enough sample size to see the statistical outliers that the numbers generate, and in my experience people are generally more vocal about the bad than the good, so I'm hardly surprised that there are so many threads and a number of players raising this as an issue
    Right, that's the thing. So many people play the game and so many people try the atma grind that of course there's going to be statistical outliers. Do I believe that everyone that claims they've done thousands of fates without an atma has *actually* done thousands of fates without an atma? Not really. People have a tendency to exaggerate, and you're right - we can't forget cognitive bias either. Several hours of doing fates with nothing to show for it can certainly feel like you're doing thousands when in reality you're doing maybe 100. I was surprised at how slowly the achievement for successfully cleared fates goes up.

With that said, I'm sure there are a few people out there that really have done thousands of fates without completing their atma weapons, and I feel for them. RNG is the suck; honestly, the atma grind is the only thing keeping me from doing another novus. Animus and novus are non-issues in comparison to the wall of grind that you face when you're going from zenith to atma. It's just mind-numbingly boring and there's not really an end in sight. At least when I'm leveling with fates i can see my goal. Atma is just... ugh. Such poor game design.

Quote Originally Posted by Laraul View Post
    Who uses RNG? "The RNG of dying in a plain crash is one seventh the RNG of being hit by lightning." Instead of calling it "RNG" call it what it is, chance or probability. Or in this case Atma drop rate. It's silly to call it RNG. It's a weird abbreviation and in previous Final Fantasy games it was the abbreviation for the RANGER class. Regardless the RNG term is still weird.
    Uhh, except nobody was using it like that? RNG = Random Number Generator. We're talking about the RNG (or rather PRNG, Pseudo Random Number Generator) function that picks the "random" numbers for the game, not about the probability of dying in a plain[sic] crash. OP made mention of those, but he used the words "chance," "probability," and "odds" to refer to them, rather than replacing those words with "RNG" as you seem to be suggesting here. RNG and PRNG are widely used terms, especially in connection with online gaming.
    (0)
    Last edited by Ashkendor; 08-30-2014 at 01:43 AM.

Player
    Character
    Jesse Branford
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Kydi View Post
    There is a large enough sample size to see the statistical outliers that the numbers generate
    Here's my logic:

There are "2 million adventurers," which is probably not subscribed accounts but registered accounts.

My guess (and this could be COMPLETELY off, I admit it, but this is just a conservative guess) is that 1,250,000 of those are active subscribers.

I would also guess that about half of those are English players (if they werent English players, they'd be on forums for a different language. My post was in response to the sheer number of people on these specific forums saying they've done thousands of fates without seeing an atma.)

This leaves us with 625,000 English players. And of course, not everyone is even level 50, and not a lot of people even do the relic quest. So, let's say that half of those people have at least attempted the Atma quest. This leaves us with 312,500 people attempting the Atma quest.

Of those 312,500 people, we can expect 13 of those to reach 500 fates before seeing an atma. THIRTEEN. And that's assuming that these 13 people actually have the tenacity to continue through doing 500 fates and not giving up. So yeah.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Jesse Branford
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Krr View Post
    Taking a random semi-high number given what we've seen in press releases regarding FFXIV, let's assume the active playerbase consists of around 500,000 people, being cautiously low and not having real numbers on hand. If the chance of something happening is 0.0041%, then on average, the 'statistical anomaly' will occur to 2,050 people, which is much more than the number of people I have seen posting on General Discussion.
    No, the answer to that would be 20~21 people. Not thousands. And this is 500 fates, not the CRAZY thousands people claim. Let's claim that all 2 million players are actively subscribed, play English clients, attend the English forums regularly, and have attempted the atma quest with such tenacity that they do not give up before reaching their goal.

~82 people would do 500 fates before seeing an atma.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Zsedc Qa
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    Not sure if ppl have not noticed this or they're intentionally avoiding making this statement.

RNG doesn't hate you since it lacks the ability to do so, but the ones who decided that it is appropriate for atma quest the way it is and thereafter implemented it, together with those that endorse it seems like they do (hate you).
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ilydia Infinitum
    World
    Famfrit
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    I managed to fail on a 100% chance to succeed. I think think the RNG god truly does hate me. As a matter of fact, I know I hate myself...
    (0)
    The healer of love and justice! (Or the mad/insane/evil/berserk healer depending on who you talk to).
    I've played healers for so long that I can heal in my sleep literally (People have seen me do it).
    I like to do a bit of everything, but my preference is healing+support (until /that/ happens). FF14 title: Macro Queen

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast