Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Roegadyn Hellsguard
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 19
    I always hear "AK-47s for everyone!" when I see GLA.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Enyyx Catte
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Somewhat related, is there a reason why the abbreviation is TAN, yet I'm a "leatherworker" instead of "tanner"?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kiote Corissimo
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Ah, Final Fantasy XIV now with 40% less MSG.. ^.^v
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Frosted Butternipples
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 44
    I'm always getting tripped up by GLD when I go to buy new armor! It's like SE knows I have A.D.D. and I can almost see them chortling at their desks whenever I buy something!
    (0)
    If you don't think new summoner is better, you're playing the wrong game.

Player

Quote Originally Posted by Reika View Post
    GLD should definitely be changed to GSM. Everyone calls it a GSM anyways lol. Either GLA or GLD would work for gladiator. But like Archadius said, GLD could be confused for PLD when it comes out, so GLA would be best.
    I don't think the same kind of confusion would arise from GLD and PLD. If that was the case, then we'd get ASM and BSM mixed up as well, but we don't. At least I don't.
    (0)

Yes I do have a My Little Pony sig because I'm not a complete loser who lives in his own little world, proclaiming something is stupid because I say so.

Player
    Character
    Tyren Arkon
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    You know, I always said "GLD" instead of "GLA", because it makes me think of "PLD", the abbreviation for Paladin in FFXI.

It's silly, but I like GLD better for Gladiator, since you can sort of pronounce it as "Glad", as opposed to pronouncing it as "Glah". It's silly, but when talking to friends in person who played FFXI, I often found myself referring to Black Mage (BLM) as "Blim" or referring to Dragoon (DRG) as "Derg". Once again, I know it's totally silly, but I just think GLA looks and sounds awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by RabidSquirrel View Post
    I don't think the same kind of confusion would arise from GLD and PLD. If that was the case, then we'd get ASM and BSM mixed up as well, but we don't. At least I don't.
    Also DRK and DRG, or BLM and BLU in FFXI. Those never really got confused for each other because they were only one letter off.
    (1)
    Last edited by thenewzero; 08-10-2011 at 03:32 AM.

Player
    Character
    Aria Placida
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 88
    Quote Originally Posted by RabidSquirrel View Post
    But, isn't it ARM, not ASM?
    (0)

Dev Team
    We finally got the OK to make these changes, so they will be going live in 1.19. Thanks for the posts everyone, and I hope you all find the new class abbreviations easier to understand.

Gladiator = GLA (no change)
    Goldsmith = GSM (changed from GLD, because of similarity to Gladiator)
    Leatherworker = LTW (changed from TAN, thanks Enyyx!)
    Conjurer = CNJ (changed from CON, just because)

(braces self for further outcries...)
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Lienn Deleene
    World
    Gungnir
    Main Class
    Alchemist Lv 50
    Thanks! ^^ ...and of course this "CON" did sounds like a teaser...

*grabs the FF job lists to search a name that could also have abreviations close to CON*
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    WARNING TO AHRIMAN AND PHURBLES (love the new look, Em):
    INCOMING WASTE OF YOUR VALUABLE TIME. You have my express, advance apologies - but hey, if the discussion is going on, why not make it complete? Keep in mind, the questions here aren't necessarily my way of saying, "This should be done," but more or less putting any curiosity about it to rest.

INB4 any dev-expected fan b*tching; let's just lay out the facts and ask + answer the proper questions.

Activity names differ from the class names, but Gladiator isn't SWD and Weaver isn't CTH, so Leatherworker being TAN had to go; it was just an oversight. (LTW doesn't exactly fit what looks to be the pattern, either, but more on that later). Let's move on.

Simply put:
    If we're going to fix a few, anyway, why not just standardize it so it's not so convoluted?

We've seen "Use the first three letters,"
    We've seen "Drop the vowels and use the first three letters,"
    We've seen "Drop the vowels and skip some letters."
    And until 1.19, we've seen "Use the abbreviation for the activity instead."

Currently, we have:

Pugilist - PGLST - PGL
    Marauder - MRDR - MRD
    Lancer - LNCR - LNC
    Thaumaturge - THMTRG - THM
    Archer (Leave the initial letter for identification) ARCHR - ARC
    --------------------------------------------------
    Alchemist (Leave the initial letter for identification) ALCHMST - ALC
    Armorer (Leave the initial letter for identification) ARMR - ARM
    Carpenter - CRPNTR - CRP
    Weaver - WVR - WVR
    --------------------------------------------------
    Fisher - FSHR - FSH
    Botanist - BTNST - BTN

Wunderbar. But then, our outliers:

CONjurer
    GLAdiator
    MINer
    LeaTherWorker

If we're fixing the first one, why not just fix them all? Most of all, why stick with GLA? Is it because Gladiator suddenly becoming GLD when it's been Goldsmith for so long might cause some confusion, at first? Or is it just easier on the spreadsheet editing? I understand both approaches, but in the long run it seems to be less than ideal, like we're settling.

If we fixed everything, we'd end up with some pretty big differences. Are they not for the better? For instance, we'd see:

Conjurer - CNJRR - CNJ
    Gladiator - GLDTR - GLD
    Miner - MNR - MNR
    Leatherworker - LTHRWRKR - LTH

Is there a problem with this, so far? If so, can we throw it out there so people stop asking? Moving onto the final, and most challenging, aspect: Our justifiable exceptions.

CULinarian
    CLN looks like Cleaner. CLR looks like Clear, CNN is a television network, and none of them look like they know how to make a decent sammitch. Fine. CUL (Unless we can go with Chef. Can we go with Chef? CHF anyone? The guy at the guild can even be like, "Hello there, Children!" -- No? Alright.)

BlackSMith
    BLK would have been vague. Black what? Blackmailer? Blackjack? Blackberry? What? Smith? Oh. Fine. BSM

GoLDsmith
    GLA and GLD causes too much confusion; it's why we're here in the first place. But hey, we just solved that Blacksmith problem the same way so GSM it is!

That even paves the way for Gladiator to take it's rightful place upon the Throne of ...GLA? --- Wait, what? I know it'd be a rough start, but we ALL called it GLD before we were trained to call it GLA - we can do it again.

What is Sentinel's anyway? SNT? It's SEN isn't it. You're going to make me edit-storm this whole thing; I can feel it.

[hits the button on the clock]
    Discuss. (Sorry, probably too late anyway ><)
    (4)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 08-23-2011 at 10:24 PM.
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast