Player
    Character
    Cyan Genesis
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Sav View Post
    If a system like this was implemented, I would probably never play another game...

That being said, it almost feels too expansive. Would there be a large enough variety of abilities to lend uniqueness to each advanced job?
    This. I would love to have this much variety, but, would it be possible to make without either A) Making something else inferior or B) Just copying something from a class or job that was already there?

Edit: Something that might make it a little more unique would to be adding another tier in there.

Something that caught my eye:

Was Flayer and Pugilist -> Puppetmaster.

You could do, Flayer, Pugilist, Archanist -> Puppetmaster

It would make somewhat more sense that way, and could possibly add more uniqueness to how jobs are combined/played.

Just a random 2am thought.
    (0)
    Last edited by Cyan; 07-29-2011 at 03:01 PM.

Player
    Character
    Peach Parfait
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Weaver Lv 70
    FENCER Y U NO RED MAGE?
    (2)

Peach Parfait/Khulan Angura on Gilgamesh

Player
    Character
    Altrage A'uli
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    Like I mentioned already it depends on how SE would approach the situation, but based on their past MMOs they do like to play "favorites" (we shall not discuss this here as it's another thing entirely), but this is a new development team. So its hard to say how it would pan out. One thing to note is that all these jobs are from past FF games and each has a different set of abilities that make them unique. Some smart moves for SE to make are:

1) Plan ahead and have ALL your jobs listed (or just have way more than enough, I would say at least) this way you can plan content with jobs in mind

2) Make each job have a unique idea to bring to the party. It's fine if some abilities are similar its bound to happen, but imagination is the limit when making abilities. They should remember that no job concept is game breaking, its the strength and total combined effects of the abilities that make jobs overpowered. You could easily have an ability that has instant KO on target (as an example) if you limit it to non-NM and a fairly low success rate you won't be breaking the game, I suppose what I am trying to say is if they focus entirely on balance then each job should flush out nicely.

3) Basically there are only a few 'roles' in a party: Hate control, support, debuff, damage dealer, tank, healer. The trick is how they get the task done. If you notice there are 4 jobs that require the Sentinel Class leveled and yes you can assume that more than likely means 4 tanks. What would make them different from each other? Easy, Bishop could be an evasion based tank, Defender could be a damage mitigation tank, Paladin can be shield/parry tank, and Templar could be a "take care of myself" tank (ala FFXI Dancer esque; as the Dancer in XIV I would like to be more like the Support Dancer in other FF games) 4 jobs all the same 'role' but they go about it differently, if SE would make this a notion prior to releasing or at the release of these jobs, they can make enemies that each of those tanks work better against.

Okay, another long post, but I hope that clears some things up.

EDIT: Fencer does become Red Mage in that setup, Fencer was not a red mage in previous installments of the Final Fantasy series, it was a class on its own.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Foxerz Asura
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 20
    I really, really like this idea for jobs but I doubt SE can/would rework the entire job system THIS much. They would have to create them in bunches and release them in patches, I guess. This is really how the job system should work, though.
    (0)

Player

I'm in full support of this!

All of those jobs look fairly unique (and have been in previous installments), so it would be pretty kickass to have that many in the end.

The only real problem I can see is it would be totally infeasible to make a completely unique set of armour for each one (unless they went the FFXI route and had 3 sets of class-specific armour at different level intervals that were really spread out, then lots of crossover gear in between for better customisation)
    (0)

Player

This would be so epic nice job!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Altrage A'uli
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    Oh this is something for the long haul, not something to be implemented all at once; but I feel the problem with FFXI was (with jobs that is) was that they didn't really KNOW what jobs were going to be released until AFTER the initial game was released. Like Dancer and Scholar, they were both really out of the blue jobs, almost felt like they were just pulling names out of a hat.

If you have a clear set in stone (or pretty sturdy mud) path then you can make a balance of jobs that offer unique abilities and spells to the game and parties. Also like I said you can plan content and monsters that are easier targets with certain job setups (monsters that are only weak to blunt, or only weak to magic or only weak to piercing etc etc) The usefulness of a job isn't what is has, it's what it can use it on effectively. If that makes sense.

As far as gear goes, since it takes them 6 months to make the gear, having a rough idea on your future jobs makes a lot of sense. Also I would expect to see the current Classes → Jobs we have now to have just about all their own specific gear getting its final touches.

Also while sitting here (working on my own RPG project) I thought of an idea for Land classes basically it would work the same way except to help narrow down the "search" for certain items they can get various job upgrades to help

Botanist → Herbologist (increases chances to find small plants "Moko Grass" and the like while decreasing the rate of "lumber")
    Botanist → Arborologist (same as above just visa-versa effects)
    Miner → Gemologist (increases rate of finding precious metals while decreasing all others)
    Miner → Paleontologist (increases rate of finding 'bone' materials while decreasing all others)
    Miner → Geologist (increases the rate of finding raw ore material; iron and the like while decreases all others)
    Fisher → Marine Biologist (increases rate of finding large fish)
    Fisher → Limnologist (increases rate of finding small fish)

I don't really play as a Land class so I'm sorry if I have not covered all the areas (I've only played Miner a little bit), but something like that would be neat I think, no? Of course it wouldn't make it where you ONLY find those said items but it would increase the rate of finding them.
    (2)

Player

I can definitely see SE developping a similar system in patches far far from now tho.
    It's a great idea because it makes people play the game longer and gives them incentive to level up multiple classes.
    I doubt itell be as expansive, but definitely would be cool to see some oddjobs out there like Mime haha.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Altrage A'uli
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    Okay, now that I am well rested and before I head off to work I would like to first say thank you everyone for such positive and inquisitive feedback on this idea! I am going to update the main post with the recently added thoughts on "Jobs" for the Disciples of Land.

Also on that note, I am curious as to what the populous thinks about the Disciples of Hand and Land suggestions? Talk it up.

Edit: I am curious if this has been passed on to the develops and if so, what do they think? Bayohne, or any community representative, I'm curious if this is something they are already working on, thinking about implementing, or if they would like me to join their creation team as an Advanced job creator! (lol about that last part, but serious about the rest as I mean no conceit)
    (1)
    Last edited by OMEGA_HACK; 07-30-2011 at 05:36 AM.

Player
    Character
    Yoohree Reborn
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Culinarian Lv 70
    umm PUP is more like pug + tinker
    (0)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast